Downfall to booking cruise & excursions early

chloes nana

You see alot of questions regarding booking early to get the specific cabin you want or booking excursions early to be sure you get the ones you want.

Well, this new 7 day sale, it is a prime example of why you shouldn't book everything too early with HAL. I sent off a phone call and email to my PCC first thing this morning to see if I could get this promo attached to my booking.

Well, lo and behold, I would have to cancel my entire booking as well as all my prepaid excursions, beverage cards and OBC I have purchased, and rebuy/rebook it all, if I wanted the free prepaid gratuities promo.

So to anyone who may ask, sometimes it does not pay to book or buy excursions too early. And even if you have purchased a suite, you will not get the benefits offered down the line necessarily, if and when they are offered. Never put the cart before the horse, as he may run to try and catch the carrot to no avail. Disappointed......:(

Lisa has often talked about asking that the booking be "refared" when the pricing goes down.

HAL should have a similar means of adding on promos without having to cancel.

Rather silly way of treating customers, wasting their own PCC's time and TA's time.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I would use other more colorful words in private to describe the silly practice that HAL uses or lack there of for not rewarding their customers for booking early at the higher rates, and for also purchasing all the shore excursions early and putting that money in their pockets, long before it is needed. So this is also a benefit and money maker for them. But offering their customers a measley $850 on pre paid gratuities on a 34 day cruise, but saying that it would need to be rebooked, and all monies paid refunded, "but this can take up to 3 days", is nothing short of being cheap, in my book anyway.:(

I still prefer to book as soon as I can to get the cabin I want.

but I didn't book early for a certain cabin, it really didn't matter. I just like to have things in place since I am dealing with a parent in law that has special needs and I don't have the luxury of spending alot of time online, but when something comes along that can save some money, it would be refreshing if a company would honor it, that is all I am saying.

... it would be refreshing if a company would honor it, that is all I am saying.

While I certainly sympathize with you (and I've been caught this way on other cruise lines), these offers almost always say "For new bookings only." It's a way for the cruise line to fill up cabins that are not selling well.

Yes, it's frustrating. Yes, I wish they'd give the perks to people who have already booked. But I don't think it's going to change.

While I certainly sympathize with you (and I've been caught this way on other cruise lines), these offers almost always say "For new bookings only." It's a way for the cruise line to fill up cabins that are not selling well.

Yes, it's frustrating. Yes, I wish they'd give the perks to people who have already booked. But I don't think it's going to change.

I could understand if it was closer to sailing, to try to fill the ship, but as of right now this cruise is only 38% full, why not honor the customers you have now??

I would use other more colorful words in private to describe the silly practice that HAL uses or lack there of for not rewarding their customers for booking early at the higher rates, and for also purchasing all the shore excursions early and putting that money in their pockets, long before it is needed. So this is also a benefit and money maker for them. But offering their customers a measley $850 on pre paid gratuities on a 34 day cruise, but saying that it would need to be rebooked, and all monies paid refunded, "but this can take up to 3 days", is nothing short of being cheap, in my book anyway.:(

Where are you getting the $850 from.. The promo of Prepaid Gratuities is only for 7 seven days. not longer..For two people in a verandah it's $161.00 & for a suite it's $168.00...It's also only for a few departures...Our cruise is on the list too, but it's still worth it to me to get the cabin I want.. All good businesses try to get their stock sold & this is one way to do it.. I was thinking of asking our Agent & try to get the promo too, but when I realized it was only $161 figured it was not worth it to us to try to get the same cabins back..The cabins they are selling are the leftovers & might be awful too..

Our grocery store is selling off items today which I paid full price for yesterday & cars are being priced today better than yesterday.. Last week I paid much more for gas than I'm going to pay when I fill my tank at the end of the week..;)

Edited by serendipity1499

I encountered a similar situation with a 2-week Alaskan cruise I booked for next summer. I tried to get the Explore-4 benefit attached when it was offered and was told I would have had to re-book at a much higher rate. I checked the rates independently and, true enough, HAL had jacked up the cabin prices for Neptune Suites by several hundred dollars per person over what I paid earlier in the summer.

It seems HAL is not giving anything away. Those who book during a promotion will pay more for that promotion. I guess the only way left to get a good deal is wait until the cruise date approaches and HAL starts to try and fill the empty cabins.

You see alot of questions regarding booking early to get the specific cabin you want or booking excursions early to be sure you get the ones you want.

Well, this new 7 day sale, it is a prime example of why you shouldn't book everything too early with HAL. I sent off a phone call and email to my PCC first thing this morning to see if I could get this promo attached to my booking.

Well, lo and behold, I would have to cancel my entire booking as well as all my prepaid excursions, beverage cards and OBC I have purchased, and rebuy/rebook it all, if I wanted the free prepaid gratuities promo.

So to anyone who may ask, sometimes it does not pay to book or buy excursions too early. And even if you have purchased a suite, you will not get the benefits offered down the line necessarily, if and when they are offered. Never put the cart before the horse, as he may run to try and catch the carrot to no avail. Disappointed......:(

I'm curious. How do the current fares compare to your original booking? Would the rebooking be at a higher fare than the original fare? Or, is the issue all the hassles in rebooking everything?

When you book it is always a cxxx shoot as there will probably always be a better deal coming along up to and including booking 2 days before a cruise and sailing for just a few hundred dollars. I also book early to get the cabin I want and with price decreases or better perks that come up, have usually been given extra OBC thru my TA.

It is always better to get a lower price but in the grand scheme of life, one makes choices and then has to handle the consequences. Recommend you sit back and have a wonderful cruise!

You never want to ask your fellow airline passenger how much they paid either. Sometimes you just have to accept at the time you booked, you thought it was a good deal for your vacation budget ..... at that time. And then that is the end of the story.

Sure savings later are nice, very nice, but sometimes you just have to duck your head in the sand and concentrate on what you thought was good enough when you started your planning.

And be glad that few to zero people ever talk about how much they paid up front once you get on board. I always felt a little guilty enjoying the Neptune Lounge cabins on an upgrade so I never brag about what a good deal we got then either. Pay, go and don't look back.

Edited by OlsSalt

Where are you getting the $850 from.. The promo of Prepaid Gratuities is only for 7 seven days. not longer..For two people in a verandah it's $161.00 & for a suite it's $168.00...It's also only for a few departures...Our cruise is on the list too, but it's still worth it to me to get the cabin I want.. All good businesses try to get their stock sold & this is one way to do it.. I was thinking of asking our Agent & try to get the promo too, but when I realized it was only $161 figured it was not worth it to us to try to get the same cabins back..The cabins they are selling are the leftovers & might be awful too..

Our grocery store is selling off items today which I paid full price for yesterday & cars are being priced today better than yesterday.. Last week I paid much more for gas than I'm going to pay when I fill my tank at the end of the week..;)

you should read a little closer: " Prepaid gratuities are based on the pre-payment by Holland America Line on behalf of the guest the suggested Hotel Service Charge including gratuities in the amounts of $12 per day for Suites and $11.50 per day for Interior, Ocean-view and Verandah staterooms and are based on promo VH". So you see it i$12 pp per day, and I am on a 34 day cruise, so you see that adds up to $850, not $161. And my cruise of 34 days is included, so it is not just 7 day cruises, it is a 7 day sale. and as I stated at only 38% full for next March, these are not the leftovers.

Thanks for the anology of food and cars to cruising. Necessities to an extravagance is not the samel

I'm curious. How do the current fares compare to your original booking? Would the rebooking be at a higher fare than the original fare? Or, is the issue all the hassles in rebooking everything?

the fares are the same, not higher or lower, the same. It is the hassle of having to spend all the time I have already invested in rebooking all our excursions, 22 to exact, and rebuying all my OBC and extras.

BTW this is the offer for every single listed cruise:

Quote More Savings

For one week only, receive prepaid gratuities on Ocean-view and above staterooms! Plus, book a suite and receive 100 free internet minutes! (learn more)

One week is only 7 days!

the sale is 7 days, not the promo for 7 day cruises. :confused:

You never want to ask your fellow airline passenger how much they paid either. Sometimes you just have to accept at the time you booked, you thought it was a good deal for your vacation budget ..... at that time. And then that is the end of the story.

Sure savings later are nice, very nice, but sometimes you just have to duck your head in the sand and concentrate on what you thought was good enough when you started your planning.

And be glad that few to zero people ever talk about how much they paid up front once you get on board. I always felt a little guilty enjoying the Neptune Lounge cabins on an upgrade so I never brag about what a good deal we got then either. Pay, go and don't look back.

I shall enjoy it, but it is also nice to save some money when possible. I am not independently wealthy, I still work from home and take care of an elderly alzheimers mother in law. So my vacations are priceless! Just saying.......

Edited by chloes nana

DW and I booked a 47 day cruise in September 2014 while on board another cruise. The cruise is not sailing until January 2016. In July of this year I noticed a price reduction of $1400 per person. I immediately contacted my TA who contacted HAL and to my surprise they matched the price and threw in $700 OBC. All pre purchases eg wine remained on the booking. Since then the price has increased due to the falling Australian dollar. More than happy with the result.

Well, I'm on YOUR side. I'm tired of this stuff.

Otherwise, yes, you are right. Why book early??? and I have 33 days booked with them.

It seems we that help fill their ships are not good enough despite our long term commitment to get the benefits. Tiresome.

Well, I'm on YOUR side. I'm tired of this stuff.

Otherwise, yes, you are right. Why book early??? and I have 33 days booked with them.

It seems we that help fill their ships are not good enough despite our long term commitment to get the benefits. Tiresome.

here! here! my girl!! glad you are seeing my side of this issue! All I want is a simple promo they are offering, not the penthouse or a neptune suite....:D

the fares are the same, not higher or lower, the same. It is the hassle of having to spend all the time I have already invested in rebooking all our excursions, 22 to exact, and rebuying all my OBC and extras.

Understand why you're upset. It does seem a bit strange to tell you to rebook all these things. Did you ask if they would give you an equivalent amount of OBC?