Cruising low carb on the Oasis

sojodave

It can be done, but in addition to their help you need will power.

Sea Ya

Aaaah......There-in lies the rub!:D

I had no problem with my requests for side/no sauces, but that was years ago on Freedom. Hopefully nothing has changed. And one side benefit is that you may get a "fresher" plate of food.

That would be a nice benefit! We have MTD, but we will try to get the same waiter every night. Hopefully, that will help. Out of 15 nights we plan to eat in the MDR at least 10 nights, the Windjammer two nights and in Specialty Dining 3 nights.

Day 4. We ate breakfast in the windjammer and I had 2 fried eggs, 4 pieces of bacon and ham. We were in Jamaica today and we went on the zipline tour. No lunch, but as soon as we got onboard, I had a hotdog with no bun. Dinner in the MDR was rack of lamb with broccoli. I got ripped off buying Dr Drey earbuds, but I guess that's how you know you've been to Jamaica. 😄

Edited by sojodave

No lunch, but as soon as we got onboard, I had a hotdog with no bun...

Dave, I'm actually concerned about you at this point. That's not a lunch, that's not anything. I hope you will see that while what you think you are consuming is all right, it really isn't. Like I said, I'm not a physician or a nurse, but I am a diabetic and I know that what you think you are doing right is not considered healthy. There are many, many options onboard for you, you just have to seek them out. Just a little friendly nudge. ;)

We were just off the Freedom and Sorrento's always had salami and pepperoni available late night. I love to roll them up together. Makes a great late night snack. On the last night, I even took a plate of the meat and stuck it in our fridge so I could have some protein early in the morning before getting off the ship.

Thanks for the idea Karen. My husband has done low carb for the past few years and the only problem he had on Oasis was finding a late night snack. We are leaving on Allure in a couple of weeks and this should solve his problem.

Day 5. I woke up with a fbg of 111. I haven't been that high in four months. I ate breakfast in the windjammer and had custom made eggs and bacon with ham. It was a day at sea so we ate at the Solarium for lunch. I had fish and a salad. This was the second formal night, we ate in the MDR and I had lobster with broccoli and Cesar salad for a starter. Dessert was a cheese plate. Pretty low carb day, we'll see what my meter has to say.

Edited by sojodave

Day 6, woke up to a fbg of 119. I haven't been that high in 6 months. Breakfast in the windjammer with eggs, bacon and ham. Lunch in Cozumel was fish ceviche . Dinner was beef shoulder, no sauce and broccoli. Probably less than 10 carbs all day. Well see if I can get my bg down.

You can always ask for the sauce aside in the MDR - both for salads and for entrées.

During the last years I haven´t seen a salad station in the Windjammer which did not provide vinegar and oil (usually balsamico and olive oil). You can also ask for it in the MDR.

On of the entrées is a large salad with meat/fish. You can also have this without sauce.

You can also ask to replace any side with veggies. Just let your waiters know that you´re low carb on the first night and they will be happy to adjust your meal.

steamboats

One more idea: I´m not sure but I think I saw this. Next to prepacked fruit cups the Park Café might have prepacked veggie cups too. Check this out! It´s not open for dinner. But anyway you can pick it up during the day (get rid of the sauce) and put it in your fridge for a late night snack.

steamboats

Day 7. Fbg of 102, that's more like it. Breakfast in MDR and I had Salmon and an omelette with bacon. Lunch was in the windjammer with turkey, salad, and steamed vegetables. Dinner, MDR with lamb shanks, broccoli, and brussel sprouts. Oh my, where has lamb shanks been all my life. We've had a blast on the Oasis. Low carb food isn't hard to find, but I wish they had a low carb menu. I hope this thread helps anyone who cruises low carb on rccl.

Edited by sojodave

Day 7. Fbg of 102, that's more like it. Breakfast in MDR and I had Salmon and an omelette with bacon. Lunch was in the windjammer with turkey, salad, and steamed vegetables. Dinner, MDR with lamb shanks, broccoli, and brussel sprouts. Oh my, where has lamb shanks been all my life. We've had a blast on the Oasis. Low carb food isn't hard to find, but I wish they had a low carb menu. I hope this thread helps anyone who cruises low carb on rccl.

Thank you! It has been a huge help. I have always avoided lamb as I had it once years ago and it tasted gamey. Perhaps I should try it on the Jewel.

This is interesting and great to see other people eating low carb. I am currently sticking to under 20g carbs/day and my upcoming cruise with RCCL will be my first since requiring such a low intake. It's not the end of the world if I go over, but I'd much rather stay under.

And yes, for some people asking, that is per day, and not per meal. It is followed by a lot of people as the "keto" diet which is extremely good for diabetics but I actually follow it because it controls my autoimmune disease and allergies as well as helping with my PCOS. All round much healthier on it and don't need meds for my autoimmune. Very limited fruit (small quantities of berries) and only certain salad items (things like asparagus, closed cup mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower are great, bell peppers, lettuces, cabbage, carrots, tomato are medium so small quantities only), no rice, no potatoes, no pasta, no sugar at all, it usually works out to be fairly gluten-free with calories coming from fats rather than sugar. I figure Meats + the "low carb" salad/veg should easily be doable in the buffet, even if I won't be able to track exactly.

Edited by Cruise_Christy

One of the challenges I have found in eating low-carb (actually, low glycemic) is that I find many foods that have added sugar, usually in the form of corn syrup, that don't need it at all. For example, many canned vegetables have added corn syrup. I've even found several restaurants that prepare their otherwise healthy vegetable dishes with adding sugar. There just seems to be a lot of hidden sugar in our foods.

• 2 years later...
Surprised no one has mentioned MDR Tutti salad bar - lots of fresh ingredients, and all your choice, including dressing. I don't follow any particular diet, just try to not over do when cruising, and I love that option for lunch.

Not sure but maybe it didn’t exist three years ago when this thread started.

The Tutti salad bar has been in place since I started cruising in 2008.

I'm also on a very low carb diet, and my lunches and dinners are primarily fish/meat with a vegetable side. I get the vegetable and cheese omelet for breakfast with a side of bacon.

It makes the waiters uneasy that I don't get the bread, but that's okay.

There is a diet thread on another forum.

The Kummelweck sandwich at the Park Cafe is awesome, but I've had a few pieces of the striploin by itself and it is just as awesome! Just get the meat, and I don't think the Aju or Horseradish has a lot of carbs either if you choose to get it with your steak.