Cabana Club Review

Red Butler

HAL's cabanas are a deal. We have a family trip booked on Celebrity and they charge $149 per day for sea days, and $99 per day for port days. Meals delivered to your cabana are an up charge, and there's no dedicated cabanas-only sunning area. A 7 day cabana on Holland America is $499. On X, it's $943. The HAL cabanas have dedicated attendants. The ones on Celebrity have attendants available by telephone.

I'm sure that I'll be persona non grata with the Celebrity fanatics, but Holland America's shipboard cabana offering not only takes Celebrity's offering to school. It also takes it to the playground, picks a fight, beats it up, and steals its lunch money.

4c68f9bc9ed23cbe48ceb91756a2bfe7.jpg

I just love to see your posts. You are too funny.

We have a family Cabana booked for first time on NA. Can we take a bottle of wine(paid for on embarcation) to the Cabana and have the Steward keep it on ice for us?

On a separate note, why is your Evernote site disappearing?

It's only Evernote Food that's getting shut down. My posts will still be available on regular Evernote. According to Evernote support, the posts will still be there, but the formatting might be messed up. (We have a premium Evernote Business account.) Evernote Food was really good at formatting meal posts.

It's only Evernote Food that's getting shut down. My posts will still be available on regular Evernote. According to Evernote support, the posts will still be there, but the formatting might be messed up. (We have a premium Evernote Business account.) Evernote Food was really good at formatting meal posts.

Thank you. I look forward to all your reviews and tried your wine suggestion for Ri de Renierri - it was lovely. Got a favourite Chardonnay?

I was looking for Hoffman 401K which I have had on Oceania but Total Wine don't appear to stock it

... readers of this board may appreciate more details about the Cabana Club on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Although our impressions of the ship overall were lessened by quality of food and beverage, the Cabana Club was the highlight of our onboard experience ...

Thank you for your review of the Cabana Club. I do have a few questions about the Club: What are the qualifications for membership? How does one go about applying for membership? Or is membership by invitation only? If so, how does HAL decide who will be invited to apply for membership? Also, other than the features you mentioned in your review, are there additional benefits of Club membership? Is there someplace else I can get information about the Club?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Edited by avian777

Thank you for your review of the Cabana Club. I do have a few questions about the Club: What are the qualifications for membership? How does one go about applying for membership? Or is membership by invitation only? If so, how does HAL decide who will be invited to apply for membership? Also, other than the features you mentioned in your review, are there additional benefits of Club membership? Is there someplace else I can get information about the Club?

Thanks again for your assistance.

There is no "club", invitation, or membership. You can purchase lido or retreat cabanas by the day or for your entire cruise. You pay for a reserved spot. The retreat cabanas have cabana assistants, champagne in the afternoon, fruit, and water. I am not sure about the amenities that come with the lido cabanas. I understand some cruises now offer a for fee cabana dinner that anyone can try to book. I have not been on a cruise where the dinner was offered. Hope this helps answer your questions 😎

There is no "club", invitation, or membership. You can purchase lido or retreat cabanas by the day or for your entire cruise. You pay for a reserved spot. The retreat cabanas have cabana assistants, champagne in the afternoon, fruit, and water. I am not sure about the amenities that come with the lido cabanas. I understand some cruises now offer a for fee cabana dinner that anyone can try to book. I have not been on a cruise where the dinner was offered. Hope this helps answer your questions

The Lido cabanas have the same amenities as the Retreat cabanas.

The Cabana Dinner, held in the Retreat cabana area, is entirely separate from use of the Retreat cabana area. iI you were to book a Retreat cabana for a cruise, it doesn't get you access to the dinner. The Cabana dinner is reserved and purchased separately.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The Lido cabanas have the same amenities as the Retreat cabanas.

The Cabana Dinner, held in the Retreat cabana area, is entirely separate from use of the Retreat cabana area. iI you were to book a Retreat cabana for a cruise, it doesn't get you access to the dinner. The Cabana dinner is reserved and purchased separately.

And the dinner is quite pricey, at roughly $129 with wine pairings

Thank you. I look forward to all your reviews and tried your wine suggestion for Ri de Renierri - it was lovely. Got a favourite Chardonnay?

I was looking for Hoffman 401K which I have had on Oceania but Total Wine don't appear to stock it

There are many, many that Chards that we like. It really depends on how much we want to spend. If we want to spend $75-$100: Leeuwin Art Series, Aubert's single vineyard Chardonnays, Kistler's single vineyard, Peter Michael, and Pahlmeyer.

If we want to spend $50-$75, Domaine Serene, Far Niente, Kosta Bowne One-Sixteen, Lewis, and Ramey Ritchie Vineyard. If we are looking at the $25-$50 range, Mer Soliel, Ramey, Rodney Strong, and Talbott Sleepy Hollow.

Sub $25 would be L'Ecole No 41, Lapostelle Casablance Cuvee, Caleram, Charles & Charles, Meomi.

If we are stuck buying wine at a place with a smaller selection, Columbia Crest Grand Estates (2012) or most of the Ch. Ste. Michelle wines are a good pick.

If we just want to sit on the balcony and watch the ships go by it's hard to beat Lindeman's Bin 65 which is a whopping $2.97 at Total Wine. It was a Wine Spectator Best Value in one of the summer issues. It's rated 85 points. The irony is that a bottle of it costs 1/24th as much as the glasses we drink it out of. We should probably switch to these for balcony use:

51aV8peVKML._SX425_.jpg

They're Vino2Go double walled wine glasses - less than $6 each at Amazon. The photo links to the Amazon page. It's an adult sippy cup!

I just love to see your posts. You are too funny.

We have a family Cabana booked for first time on NA. Can we take a bottle of wine(paid for on embarcation) to the Cabana and have the Steward keep it on ice for us?

The retreat cabanas are outside the Crow's Nest, so ice and glasses aren't a problem. You'll like the family cabana. They're really nice.

There are many, many that Chards that we like. It really depends on how much we want to spend. If we want to spend $75-$100: Leeuwin Art Series, Aubert's single vineyard Chardonnays, Kistler's single vineyard, Peter Michael, and Pahlmeyer.

If we want to spend $50-$75, Domaine Serene, Far Niente, Kosta Bowne One-Sixteen, Lewis, and Ramey Ritchie Vineyard. If we are looking at the $25-$50 range, Mer Soliel, Ramey, Rodney Strong, and Talbott Sleepy Hollow.

Sub $25 would be L'Ecole No 41, Lapostelle Casablance Cuvee, Caleram, Charles & Charles, Meomi.

If we are stuck buying wine at a place with a smaller selection, Columbia Crest Grand Estates (2012) or most of the Ch. Ste. Michelle wines are a good pick.

If we just want to sit on the balcony and watch the ships go by it's hard to beat Lindeman's Bin 65 which is a whopping $2.97 at Total Wine. It was a Wine Spectator Best Value in one of the summer issues. It's rated 85 points. The irony is that a bottle of it costs 1/24th as much as the glasses we drink it out of. We should probably switch to these for balcony use:

51aV8peVKML._SX425_.jpg

They're Vino2Go double walled wine glasses - less than $6 each at Amazon. The photo links to the Amazon page. It's an adult sippy cup!

I love it that you have these. Wish there was a way to put ice in the white wine base...

51aV8peVKML._SX425_.jpg

Thank you so much for the detailed list. I'll have to try that Lindeman one. I should have been more specific in price. To take on cruise I'll probably look at the under $25 since I have to add $18 corkage.

I just love that picture of the adult skippy cups.

Thank you so much for the detailed list. I'll have to try that Lindeman one. I should have been more specific in price. To take on cruise I'll probably look at the under $25 since I have to add $18 corkage.

I just love that picture of the adult skippy cups.

You should be able to find a fair number of wines rated in the high 80s in that price range, and maybe even a couple in in the low 90s. If you go to Total Wine's website, you can browse the Fort Lauderdale inventory (Cordova Road store) and filter on price and expert ratings. It's not quite as thorough as going through a bunch of wine magazines, but it will get the job done - and it's very easy.

The only caution I would add is to make sure you know what you like in the way of oak on your Chardonnay. Chardonnay can be aged in stainless steel or oak. In addition, there can be malolactic fermentation. Oak aging + malolactic fermentation is going to give the wine a more buttery taste and mouth feel. Stainless will be crisper and a little more tart. We like the whole range of Chardonnays, but some people prefer one or the other. Total Wine has really good employees in the aisles to help you. Just tell them what you like and what you want to spend. Also, when you are looking at the website, you'll see that each wine lists the aisle and the side on which you can find it.

• 3 months later...
How do you reserve the cabanas? I have booked our first HA cruise for March on NA, and I can't find it on the website.

Thanks for everyone's help!

You need to call ships services to book it. See post #4 on this thread for more info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2184912&highlight=retreat+cabana

Edited by cruz chic

How do you reserve the cabanas? I have booked our first HA cruise for March on NA, and I can't find it on the website.

Thanks for everyone's help!

You can also request a specific cabana - Ship Services res. agent sent me a link to the layout. We booked Naples on Eurodam. We had one before on our other HAL cruise on Eurodam, and we prefer the ones that face aft, towards the pool. We like those as you get much more air flow. The ones facing port and starboard do have a view of the sea, but that comes with plexiglass that restricts air flow somewhat.

thanks so much for this comprehensive post. You have answered all of my questions. For the first time, we have reserved a cabana for our 19 day Panama Canal cruise next April on the NA. Cant wait!! There is a lot of conflicting info out there as to which cabanas are located where. It would appear that we have the Portofino. Any chance you remember which of the open air ones would be next to the family cabanas? I imagine they are the ones you said would be a little more scenic. I am thrilled to learn that we could still stay there past 5 o'clock. I had thought otherwise. We love peace and quiet. :)

Kathy, we'll see you there!

Donna