Oh boy another tipping thread! (HAL should copy NCL)

InTheWASide

I can see a possible problem:

We were on a cruise and met a young Canadian couple, along with a baby and small child. They said the children cruised for taxes/port fees only - not sure if this was a 3rd/4th guest cruising "free" on some promo or if this applies for children under a certain age.

They said they were going to remove the HSC for the baby, they had brought their own porta crib (so they could fold it out of the way when not needed - more space in cabin) and did not feel that a baby should be tipping....

Now in this scenario with NCL, this couple would have to wait until home to remove the charges, BUT incur the loss of exchange rates (difference in surcharge rate between buy and sell). Personally, I do not think that would be fair.

Fod for thought.

Carol

I don't believe that the baby will not require anything from crew members. Won't the baby need linens? Milk? A clean cabin? Leave the HSC in place. Period.

But what if you have a service problem that onboard management can not resolve? What if the charge is mandatory and a steward skips your cabin, or waiters are surly and slow? What recourse will a guest that pays thousands of dollars for a vacation have if service is substandard? A cheapskate will always find a way. But what you suggest is limiting people with poor experiences from being able to do anything about it.

How bad does service have to be to justify removing the HSC?

I think it's a great idea. Too many times it's not the service. I get tired of hearing how people are on a tight budget. I'm on a budget too but stiffing the staff isn't part of my budget plan.

Excellent post! Completely agree!

I have worked in large organizations and can tell you from my experience, this would not be easy - it would be an administrative nightmare. You are talking about thousands of forms having to be produced for each cruise and then all the forms gathered and the information recorded somewhere. Considering that HAL has a hard enough time producing an accurate passenger invoice at the end of a cruise, I can only image the shambles that HAL would make of this.

We know that HAL takes an administrative fee from the HSC right now. I am guessing that this would only result in even more fees being taken and less of your HSC going to the crew.[/QUOTE]

I bolded your last paragraph only because it simply is not true! HAL DOES NOT take an administrative fee from the HSC.. Any crew Member who tells you differently is not telling the truth!

The entire HSC goes to the crew!

IMO I truly think that NCL has the right idea & hopefully it will not backfire with more Psgrs. removing the HSC when they get home..I don't believe anyone should be able to automatically remove the HSC..

If someone has bad service, they should be required to put it in writing naming the steward/person who gave the poor service..Then they could request a partial refund of the HSC for the particular poor service only..

We have always had excellent service with one exception & that was on NCL.. However, we left the HSC in place but did not give the steward who was remiss any extra.. We did give extra to other crew members who helped to make up for the poor service & made our cruise enjoyable..

IMO

Edited by serendipity1499

I can see a possible problem:

We were on a cruise and met a young Canadian couple, along with a baby and small child. They said the children cruised for taxes/port fees only - not sure if this was a 3rd/4th guest cruising "free" on some promo or if this applies for children under a certain age.

They said they were going to remove the HSC for the baby, they had brought their own porta crib (so they could fold it out of the way when not needed - more space in cabin) and did not feel that a baby should be tipping....

Now in this scenario with NCL, this couple would have to wait until home to remove the charges, BUT incur the loss of exchange rates (difference in surcharge rate between buy and sell). Personally, I do not think that would be fair.

Fod for thought.

Carol

NCL doesn't charge gratuities for 2 years old or younger.

We are bringing a 1 year old with us.

I had planned to increase the DSC for the baby.

NCL no longer handles any modifications on the ship.

I would have to use the form after the cruise in order to tip for the child (if the desire is to tip into the crew pool and not cash to a few individuals)

How bad does service have to be to justify removing the HSC?

That's for each individual to decide on their own. I've never removed it, never had reason to. But if they made it so you could NOT remove it, then the crew can potentially either be lazy or deliver lackluster service and everyone still pays the same and without recourse. Making it a system whereby you "punish" the handful of cheapskates really actually just puts all the honest people at risk of bad service with nothing that can be done.

My tip amount varies in restaurants depending on services received; more for great service, less for bad service. It's not up to someone else to decide if the service I received was great or bad, or average.

Sounds like a complicated nightmare. I still like my idea the best. Before they snap your picture at the boarding desk you sign a paper saying you are paying the HSC, NO SIGN = NO SAIL easy peasy.

This is a good thread. I can already figure out all those that remove the tips.:)

Gee, why not just put arm bands on? Maybe a serial number to keep track? :rolleyes:

When you book the cruise you have actually agreed to pay the HSC. It takes further action to not pay it.

BTW - I have never removed DSC on any cruise line, but I reserve the right to do so. I don't believe in the need to live my life by telling others how they must run theirs.

This is a good thread. I can already figure out all of those with a few screws loose.

Edited by LMaxwell

I leave the HSC in place and have, on rare occasion, left an additional gratuity for extraordinary service. (Believe it or not.)

Whether, how, when, why, and how much other passengers tip, don't tip, leave hometown T-shirts, offer phone cards, remove the HSC, or whatever is none of my business. And, frankly, it's no one else's either.

It is my business (and yours) when the actions of others lead to higher final bills for me (and you).

It is my business (and yours) when the actions of others lead to higher final bills for me (and you).

Then you can do as I do and vote with your wallet. Besides, people's behavior won't change because of someone's ranting on the Internet.

Moreover, the costs of maintaining this proposed plan would trickle down to me as well. :rolleyes:

I think it stinks! If I don't get good service, why should I tip? Then come home and have to deal with it...I won't cruise with them

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

So why call it a "gratuity?" Why not just include it to the cost of the cruise?

A slimy way of getting passengers to pay for wages on TOP of the cruise fare.

Why not look up the definition of the word gratuity?

Another way of dumbing down service. If you are going to get extra REGARDLESS of the job you do, why do an outstanding job?

I've ALWAYS tipped WELL BEYOND the "daily service charge." But this crap makes me want to forget it all together.

Gee, why not just put arm bands on? Maybe a serial number to keep track? :rolleyes:

When you book the cruise you have actually agreed to pay the HSC. It takes further action to not pay it.

BTW - I have never removed DSC on any cruise line, but I reserve the right to do so. I don't believe in the need to live my life by telling others how they must run theirs.

This is a good thread. I can already figure out all of those with a few screws loose.

Really- How come the last day of the cruise (always the last day) the line at the front desk is longer than Black Friday at Best buy. Mass hysteria with queries of "What's This Charge Of $11 a Day" they never knew about it.

You never removed a service charge,remind me to send you a cookie

Really- How come the last day of the cruise (always the last day) the line at the front desk is longer than Black Friday at Best buy. Mass hysteria with queries of "What's This Charge Of $11 a Day" they never knew about it.

You never removed a service charge,remind me to send you a cookie

I don't hang out at guest services. Tell us more about final day of your cruise, where you hang out at guest services to eavesdrop on peoples business. Sounds fascinating...

I don't hang out at guest services. Tell us more about final day of your cruise, where you hang out at guest services to eavesdrop on peoples business. Sounds fascinating...

No not hanging out, just needing extra luggage tags,or some smaller bills etc

Not fascinating, just a task,but I'm glad you find it fascinating:rolleyes:

I'm in favor of anything that makes it more difficult for the skinflints to remove the HSC, but I'm not convinced this change would accomplish that.

So why call it a "gratuity?"
HAL doesn't. It's called a Hotel Service Charge.

Well you just answered your own question! The reason the line is longer is because they need extra luggage tags, & checking their bills!

Yes, doesn't it?

Also interesting how the same people who assure us they are so discreet when passing tips to crew members that we wouldn't notice (not that we're looking anyway) are busy trying to figure out what everyone else is doing. ;)

I think it is a terrible idea. I don't like the idea that it takes the face to face interaction away from the passenger requesting the change. Some people may be more prone to remove the tips if all it takes is an email request to do so. .....

Actually it is much more than just an email request. It does not take away the face to face interaction since the passenger must request a form from the front desk while still onboard and then must fill out the form at home and email a copy of it, either by scan or photo, to the given email address. The form cannot be mailed. It must be emailed.

As a matter of policy, I find the downloading of labour costs on to patrons over and above published prices to be an appalling practice. However, because that is the prevailing practice which forms a substantial part of the compensation of workers on ships and in North American restaurants, I will pay without question or demur.

The quality of service that I receive will be reflected in the actual tip--the cash envelopes that I leave for our stewards, waiters, concierges and the like over and above the HSC.

I may have posted this on a previous "tipping" thread. On a HAL cruise last spring, the CD in his TV debark talk, said the HSC was distributed as follows:

35% to Cabin stewards, 35% to Dining Stewards (including Lido, PG, and Canaletto) , and 30% to the Heart of the house - those behind the scenes- laundry, public room cleaners, etc.

So everyone elsein line is canceling their DSC and you're the one person in line getting luggage tags, exchanging bills, or other thing like disputing erroneous charges and booking transfers? Come on. :rolleyes:

So you are the only one needing change or a luggage tag and you assume everyone else in this long line is removing their charges. Come on...

Actually it is much more than just an email request. It does not take away the face to face interaction since the passenger must request a form from the front desk while still onboard and then must fill out the form at home and email a copy of it, either by scan or photo, to the given email address. The form cannot be mailed. It must be emailed.

I am sure that at least one person on the internet will upload a pdf copy of this form so passengers can bypass the front desk. At most, passengers would only have to request one copy of the form, convert it to a pdf and then save it for all future sailings.

It takes away face to face interaction for sure. Since guest services can't modify it on the ship they aren't going to let someone clog up the desk; they will just refer them to the form. The form has already been posted on facebook by someone on a ship. I am sure obtaining copies of the form will be quick and easy without having to have much, if any, discussion with guest services. There is a thread on the NCL forum where I posted the form off of Facebook.

Remember a while back when some one posted a poll about how much people tipped above the HSC?

I have to say I was amazed at the % totals from that poll. I tip well above that % & I'm ok with it and really could careless what you tip God has blessed me with resources to pay it forward and I do.

I really think the name calling is uncalled for and unkind! And remember what you think is a good tip looks cheep to some!