wheel chair on Oasis

Rocketlady

on the Oasis 2016

I have contacted Special Needy at Sea. They are telling me the electric wheel chair will go through a balcony room door fine. I want to know if any one has rented one and was able to have enough room to store it in the room? We didn't ask for a handicap room because the person can walk if need be but

I am afraid she will take too long to get to one spot to another . Plus tire out .

Do any of you have any other suggestions or ideas what to do here?

There is NOT enough room in a regular cabin for an electric wheelchair. Period. It may or may not fit through the door but that wont be the only problem. You arent supposed to store them out in the hall either even though many do.

Get an accessible cabin. :)

Edited by ryano

We have a manual wheelchair and our "youth" size chair will NOT fit through the door of a regular (non-handicapped accessible) room.

On the other hand, my adult sized manual fits through them fine. The problem is there is zero turn around space :) I fit through the doors of PR #6313 and POV #1870 on Freedom but thats all I could do. :o

Edited by ryano

unless your cabin is a suite there is NOT any room inside the cabin to maneuver a chair( motorized or otherwise)

furthermore the entry space usually is too narrow to ft chairs/ECVs unless you take the side arms off.

if they can walk/stand for normal activities( showering etc) get a manual collapsible chair b/c that at least an be tucked into a corner out of the way when not in use

The lady told me a balcony room it should fit through. Don't they take the chairs somewhere at night if it doesn't fit in? We can have an electric chair , right? Just might have to always have to wait to get it returned in the morning , right?

IIRC no they will not let you store them /charge them elsewhere any more. definitely not in any public area.

We have been on the Oasis twice, my DH has mobility problems.

The first time we brought our manual wheelchair and had only a standard room. The room is tight.

The last time we took an accessible room and ordered a scooter for him to use

there is no way a scooter would fit in a regular room, balcony or not. The hallway door is not wide enough to accomodate it.

We were told a few years back, that scooters can't be left in the halls.

The lady told me a balcony room it should fit through. Don't they take the chairs somewhere at night if it doesn't fit in? We can have an electric chair , right? Just might have to always have to wait to get it returned in the morning , right?

The lady probably has never even been on a ship. And, no, they do not take them somewhere at night - they must go through the cabin door AND stay in the cabin. You will need either an accessible cabin OR a suite.

The lady probably has never even been on a ship. And, no, they do not take them somewhere at night - they must go through the cabin door AND stay in the cabin. You will need either an accessible cabin OR a suite.

Are suite doors wider than non accessible cabin doors

Are suite doors wider than non accessible cabin doors

Yes. From what Ive witnessed, they are. Suite doors are generally the same width as accessible cabin doors are. Maybe even wider. Ive been in a couple different suites for visits and had plenty of room for entry. If it werent for the 6" step up into the bathroom, I could totally make a suite work for my needs. I dont know if that step is in every suite or not.

Definitely NOT right.

They don´t take the chair anywhere. Actually the ship / cruiseline has nothing to do with the chair at all. You either bring your own or rent one from a third Party and the cruiseline will do nothing with it.

Asothers have said it won´t fit and even more so on Oasis where cabins are tight to begin with.

on the Oasis 2016

I have contacted Special Needy at Sea. They are telling me the electric wheel chair will go through a balcony room door fine. I want to know if any one has rented one and was able to have enough room to store it in the room? We didn't ask for a handicap room because the person can walk if need be but

I am afraid she will take too long to get to one spot to another . Plus tire out .

Do any of you have any other suggestions or ideas what to do here?

We cruise with a two people using a wheelchair and one scooter - on Allure, which is the sister ship to Oasis.

You must have a handicapped accessible room or a suite for a scooter. When you call to rent the scooter, Special Needs at Sea will ask which stateroom you are in and they will NOT deliver a scooter to a non-accessible room. There is no where to store and charge it on the ship. It would be a safety hazard in the hallway.

We used a non-accessible room for my mother-in-law and it was tight with the standard wheelchair. She had to stand for a moment when so we could push the chair through the door, then we folded it and stored it on one side of the bed.

Oasis and Allure are WONDERFUL ships that are very handicapped friendly. Every restaurant and entertainment venue has places for the wheelchairs.

Try to get an accessible room and then order the scooter.

If you cannot get an accessible room, you could check into one of those tiny scooters that folds, but I would check the dimensions on the first.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE

Wow, didn't know that. It always seems that there are more scooters than accessible rooms and suites. Do JS count

Some Mobility Scooters are small enough that they do fit through a standard cabin door and that's why you tend to see more scooters on board. However there is limited to no room to move about. Most of he Pride Go-Go series models will l fit through most standard cabin doors. I know this for fact as on occasion have booked a standard cabin when an accessible isn't available but only when I'm traveling solo.

Electric Wheelchairs generally won't fit through a standard cabin doorway.

hi there,

i hope i can shed a little light on this for you and help ease any worries.

Last October we sailed Allure in a balcony cabin with a connecting balcony cabin for my elderly mum 83 and our son. as long as you ask them to put the bed at the side of the cabin next to the balcony doors there is room to take the electric scooter in and out with very little problem!!!!

it goes through the door with room either side to spare... not much granted .. but none the less it GOES

special Needs at Sea delivered and collected from our cabin. they had no issue with our cabin door size or the fact that it was not adapted for wheelchair:):)

use

Edited by Lynnymac
additional info it was the smaller size of scooter

If by chance they do allow you to leave the scooter somewhere, you are the ones who must take it there and go get it in the morning. The staff do not assist you in getting a mobility device to you or ensuring that it is getting charged up.

I had to leave my scooter in the hallway once. I was responsible for parking it in the area that they choose. I had to go back in the morning and get it myself without aid from the staff. I can walk with a cane but It took me awhile.