a loyal to RCCL struggling btwn MSC or Costa

styxfire

After perusing many threads, and much internal debate, I post this question on the Royal Caribbean thread because most of my cruises have been on Royal and that's my preferred brand.

I'm trying to choose a European itinerary that starts near Germany and goes around the European coastline. (In Sept/Oct.) RCCL doesn't offer one, so I'm considering Costa or MSC. Here are the ships with that itinerary:

MSC Splendida

Costa Pacifica

Costa Favolosa

MSC Musica

MSC Opera

Costa NeoRomantica

On CruiseCritic, the reviews for both Costa and MSC are in the dumps. I've read that Americans are dissatisfied with European style of cruising. But what the heck does that mean? Nobody ever gives specifics. What's the difference between European vs American cruising?

I'll be traveling with 2 senior citizens. We don't drink alcohol AT ALL, don't go to dance clubs. We'd like a cruise ship with great entertainment and great food choices. If a ship has great musicians--but they only perform in the bars/lounges--then it's not a good ship for us.

My father enjoys the food, but if a dinner takes 2 hours, that's going to be a sore point. In fact, I myself don't want to waste 2 hours waiting for courses to be served, either.

After months of reading, it sounds like both Costa and MSC are going to be unpleasant. My budget is small, so I'm trying to do the right thing and make the right choice. Both Costa and MSC have horrible ratings compared to American cruise lines. If Royal offered the European coastline itinerary, I'd choose them, hands-down...but they don't.

Can anyone offer some comments to help me contrast these choices with Royal's cruises?

Edited by styxfire

We've done 2 Costa cruises and are booked for our first MSC in January. While we love RCL we also like to try other lines too. We very much enjoyed our Costa cruises and would go again but there are differences.

In Europe the main difference you will notice is that English is usually the 4th or 5th language on board. A lot of the other passengers don't speak English (although the staff all do) and there are noticeable cultural differences eg most Southern Europeans do not believe in queueing, they travel in large family groups and can seem noisy etc.

We found the food good but it is more European, dinners are longer (although we often take 2 hours on RCL too), times are also later, I think early seating was 7 or 7.30 and the main entertainment does not start until quite late. On Costa they did a good job of seating English speakers together in the dining room.

If you go with an open mind and happy to embrace something different you will probably enjoy yourselves but if you expect everything to be done in the American way and are always comparing you probably won't.

If you have specific questions just ask.

Julie

I have done two cruises on Costa in the early part of my cruising career, as much as I enjoyed the cruises being the minority puts me off now. As said above, English is about the 3rd or 4th spoken language, the game shows would be in Italian so it is hard to enjoy. There would be English songs in the production shows but of course it would mostly be in Italian.

The crew would be the same as RCI as they are multi-nationals. The food again is very Italian with a lot of cold meats for starters.

If you are happy to embrace the culture, there is no reason why not to choose them. They tend to be cheaper as well.

Edited by sky0000547

I have sailed on MSC three times in the Caribbean (the Opera and Lirica) and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their product. I'm sure the ambiance would be different on a European sailing, but I do not think you could go wrong with an MSC cruise. I would compare the experience very similar to an RCCL cruise, with a European flair. Beautiful ships, staff was wonderful, officers always walking around the ship and approachable, and food was delicious (although this is subjective). I would never hesitate to sail MSC and I'm actually looking at the Divinia for my next MSC cruise.

I have never sailed on Costa, but have had clients that have (they requested it). On returning, they were not overly happy and compared it to the Carnival of European cruise lines.

I am wondering if you are looking for a 'Repositioning' cruise that arrives or exits the Baltic region and moves to the MED or are you looking for a Baltic sailing?

It is true that only the European lines and luxury lines now typically move from Northern Europe to the MED as companies like RCI do Transatlantics following their seasons. Otherwise, you have many options in the Baltic.

I have sailed with MSC 22 times and with Costa just twice. I have sailed 17 times with RCI since 2011.

I think there are several factors that disturb Americans and even the English to some degree. I am not trying to start a debate here, but just pointing out some observations since I noticed what it has been like moving over to RCI from MSC.

1. European (Mediterranean) customer service is different. While often handled correctly, they do not shower 'complainers' with OBC or refunds by any means. Quite often you get a good heartfelt apology and it is expected that you are just to move on. Problems are just considered to be a part of life and screaming louder does not bring results. This frustrates some.

2. Italian, Italian food is not modified to American or International Italian food. The food is authentic and made for the more mass market Italian diner. Service style is also different and the interaction with the staff is not the same. It is correct, but not as personable in some cases that Americans might expect. They are both carrying international crews now, just like RCI and things are changing though.

3. Languages. MSC especially caters to a very global audience and they accommodate those cultures and while they do present everything in English, it is often clear that Italian, Spanish and French might be the preferred language for the entertainment staff and then maybe German might dominate a bar venue and the Spanish might take over the disco on some nights and so on.... Americans and English are used to being the center of attention and when this is not the case it can raise issues.

4. Culture. One thing I really remember from MSC is how often one is 'disturbed' while dining. They will have promotions during dinner for event in the disco, lounge and so on. Many of these are single language events and sometimes you will have a group of French come through promoting their event, then come the Italians and then the Spanish and so on. While a necessary part of MSC's business model, it can be very annoying.

While MSC and Costa have both been refurbishing their older ships, one piece of advise is that what they have really done is stretch the ships and add many new cabins and passengers. Crowding on the older ships might be an issue.

The facilities on the MSC Splendida and all ships after that are fantastic. They are high quality ships built at the shipyard that is now building Harmony and Oasis IV for RCI.

The recent Costa ships are amazing, while the older ships are very traditional.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou VERY much for all the informative replies! Extremely helpful. I know language will be a challenge in the public spaces. I hadn't considered, though, that the entertainment won't be in our language either. Bummer.

I did see a comment about Europeans not believing in queueing, which I think means they don't want to stand in line. So, what happens at the doorway to the buffet & dining hall? Does everyone shove one another to get in? That sounds like a grumpy battle to have to face when hungry.

I have never sailed with Costa but have sailed with MSC 3 times. My last cruise with them was last September on 7 night med cruise on the Preziosa.

As others have stated, definitely has an European feel, since it's an Italian cruise line. English is one of 5 languages spoken in the announcements (others are Italian, French, Spanish and German). On the Preziosa the most common language I heard spoken was Italian & German but the crew all spoke English. Dinners in the MDR are late (believe our 1st seating started at 7pm) since Europeans generally prefer to eat late. I remember that a pitcher of water was not on the table that other cruise lines provide but being North American, we were given a coupon every night for a bottle of water - either "still" or "fizzy".

As for Europeans jumping the line, saw this only once or twice at the buffet lines. Never at the lines to enter the MDR.

Thought the entertainment at the nightly shows were a lot better than what I experienced so far on Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. No comedians, ventriloquists, etc.

Would definitely sail with MSC again. Suggest that if you do decide to go, just go with an open mind, go with the flow because at the end of the day, you're on vacation! :):)

I have sailed on MSC Poesia twice in the Caribbean and loved both sailings. I cancelled an MSC sailing in the Mediterranean when I noticed that the port times were too short for a full day excursion. Port times of 5 or 6 hours is just not long enough to venture very far from the dock.

We, (Americans) are species unto ourselves. We do things differently. If you can get onboard with a different way of life, you'll have a great time....after all, you're cruising for the PORTS...not the onboard experience...right?

Dont tell that to the Oasis homers.... If they could just drive around in oasis and all its bells and whistles all day, they would

Oh, this is very cool! We are sailing with MSC for the first time later this year and we are Diamond C&A. What level of MSC perks will they give us?

I don't know for sure, but I've read that some folks who were D+ got Black level.

Where is the like button for MADflyer comment, please? 100% agree!... :) I would just add another point: Water. In restaurants in Europe and the European lines it is expected that you pay for bottled water, instead of having tap water freely available at the table, and that may disturb some. As I am aware of MSC now offers a booklet of bottled water to the Americans... It may minimize that disturb...

Edited by Nunagoras

I sailed the Divina in the Caribbean. A European cruise would have a different demographic, I'm sure. I'm Diamond on Royal and Elite Plus on Celebrity and I thought the food on Divina was the best I've ever eaten anywhere. Yes, Italian based, but you should expect that and I loved it. Yes, the meals will take longer. The buffet was fantastic. The entertainment was absolutely amazing as well. The ship is large and often feels extremely crowded. The cabin was beautiful and the bed extremely comfortable.

That is why we travel, we do not expect to find our back yard or cities family restaurant on cruise, vacation or tour. The experience can but too difficult for many Americans and probably the Euro or Asians feel the same way on American orientate ships.

We did one cruise with Costa, and it was GREAT, had the best entertainment of any ship we have ever been on, with the exception of the Oasis class ships.

Why only one cruise wit Costa, well for one they go out of FLL or MIA and it is easier to get to PC than South Florida. Also by chance and issue with RC we had a number of Vouchers for cruise/cabin problems and we looked up and we were close to Diamond so, we stayed with RC and RC has most of the itineraries that we needed so why change at that point.

My friend, a TA, got a freebee cruise and seriously did not like the food, but on our cruise the food was FABULOUS.

If you can live what many posted above as to what the difference are give MSC or Costa a chance.

Edited by north29

Costa cruises are real Italian cruises, meaning don't expect anything Americanized. The food is real Italian food, English announcement s are usually last. And smoking everywhere. Sorry haven't done Msc yet so can't comment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you sure you have ever been on Costa? Smoking is only allowed on some places outside plus a smokers lounge on most ships.

So the policy doesn't differ much from Royal. What the passengers make of it ... (but that too can be said about Royal).