Overnight flight before AOS

akswartz85

DH and I are headed on a cruise next weekend. We have an overnight to Puerto Rico that lands at 6 am but we can't get on the ship until 12. If we booked a hotel (Priceline or whatever) and didn't show up until the morning, will the hotel cancel our reservation? Really just want a place to crash and shower.

DH and I are headed on a cruise next weekend. We have an overnight to Puerto Rico that lands at 6 am but we can't get on the ship until 12. If we booked a hotel (Priceline or whatever) and didn't show up until the morning, will the hotel cancel our reservation? Really just want a place to crash and shower.

Some hotels will do a partial day, if you explain the circumstances. I would not recommend Priceline because of the circumstances but talk directly to the hotel. When we were traveling in Austria we got a 7 am check in with a 4 pm checkout.

Edited by jes Scott

My curiosity is where are you flying from? If you are arriving from another country, won't you have to go through Customs in Puerto Rico, which will take some time I imagine. Therefore the time you have actually between landing at 6am and the time you can get to the ship, really won't be as much as you think.

Just arrange for the shuttle service to the ship from the airport which generally leaves the airport around 11am and before you realize it you will be onboard.

Don't bother. Hang out at the airport an hour or two and then head to port. Sit and wait. Not worth the effort or $ to get a hotel. And, yes, hotel would cancel it unless you called and arranged it personally (don't use Priceline)

As the OP said, in PR not worth the effort and $'s.

Don't bother. Hang out at the airport an hour or two and then head to port. Sit and wait. Not worth the effort or $ to get a hotel. And, yes, hotel would cancel it unless you called and arranged it personally (don't use Priceline)

I agree. They'll usually start boarding at 11-11:30. I wouldn't pay SJU hotel prices to shower and sit in a room for a few hours. :)

Edited by bouhunter

I agree with heading to the port. Have a leisurely breakfast at the airport and then take a taxi to the ship. In PR they have set fees for taxi. It was $20+ tip from airport to ship the last time we were there.

The terminal is small compared to others we have visited. I would not arrive before 10:30--because I do not like to wait in the heat.

Since the time to leave port in PR is often 8 pm the embarkation is more spread out than in some places. [we had pax on our roll call that had flights arriving at 4 pm. . . yikes!]

We have done this exact thing but after getting off the ship in the morning because of a 3:00 flight. We booked the hotel for a Friday check-in even though we didn't get there until Saturday around 8 am. We just called the hotel to let them know we wouldn't be there until the morning and the room was ready when we got there. We used Hilton points so money wasn't the issue. It was nice to have a place to catch a few extra hours of sleep and for my husband to catch up on a week's worth of email before our flight home. If you can do it, I would recommend it. I would want to start my vacation off with a few extra hours of sleep and a shower.

We have done this exact thing but after getting off the ship in the morning because of a 3:00 flight. We booked the hotel for a Friday check-in even though we didn't get there until Saturday around 8 am. We just called the hotel to let them know we wouldn't be there until the morning and the room was ready when we got there. We used Hilton points so money wasn't the issue. It was nice to have a place to catch a few extra hours of sleep and for my husband to catch up on a week's worth of email before our flight home. If you can do it, I would recommend it. I would want to start my vacation off with a few extra hours of sleep and a shower.

Well your situation was totally different because you were getting OFF the ship and had a late afternoon flight.

The hotel at the airport does day rates. I think that it was around $120 with a check in time of 8:00 a.m. and check out at 4:00. But, when I inquired, the front desk person told me that a lot of times, you can check in earlier. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was just San Juan Airport Hotel. LOL.

The hotel at the airport does day rates. I think that it was around $120 with a check in time of 8:00 a.m. and check out at 4:00. But, when I inquired, the front desk person told me that a lot of times, you can check in earlier. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was just San Juan Airport Hotel. LOL.

I don't remember the name either but I would NOT recommend them at all!

My DH thought it would be so convenient and booked it... The onsite restaurant had a funky smell, so we left took a taxi and when out to dinner. The room was extremely small, one bed was WAY too soft and sagged in the middle, the other was hard as a rock, There was no third one that was 'just right'!! :D The bathroom was so tight, you could shower while going to the bathroom :eek::eek: OK, it wasn't that bad but seemed like it was!

Thankfully it was only one night, we stayed at a nice hotel/resort after the cruise for a few days :D