Zurich to Basel

wizaussie

There are experienced posters here who will explain how to do this by train, but my personal experience is limited to having AMA do it for me as an extension (on the reverse direction cruise). It is more expensive than doing it on your own, but apparently not as much so as first appears because Switzerland is a very expensive country. Also, because AMA has the Cruise Manager start with the pre-cruise extension group you will get to know both the CM and a group of your fellow passengers before the cruise starts, making the transition to the ship even smoother. If you can afford it, it's a great way to handle this.

We are going on a AMA cruise from Basel to Amsterdam in April 2016. I was looking for the best way to get from Zurich to Basel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you want to go directly to Basel or spend a few days along the way? The train direct to Basel is the fastest, easiest way, leaves from both airport and main station, no changes, just sit back and relax. If you are heading directly to the ship, just grab a taxi.

Do you want to go directly to Basel or spend a few days along the way? The train direct to Basel is the fastest, easiest way, leaves from both airport and main station, no changes, just sit back and relax. If you are heading directly to the ship, just grab a taxi.

I meant, grab a taxi in Basel, not in Zurich-- that would be an unbelievable taxi fare!

I meant, grab a taxi in Basel, not in Zurich-- that would be an unbelievable taxi fare!

No doubt!

We did an overnight in Zurich last year before our Basel embarkation. For us it was easiest to rent a car and drive there. We wanted to make a stop along the way that was off the beaten path, and a car was the easiest way to go.

We dropped it off at the airport in Basel and caught Uniworld's transfer to the ship. Easy!

Definitely the train. The train station is in Zurich's airport. They speak English at the ticket counter.

Switzerland is a high price country, taking a taxi from Zuerich to Basel would blow anybody's budget unless it is limitless. But then, you wouldn't ask here. ;)

Getting a train to Basel at the Zurich airport is very easy. The one with no connections leaves every hour during the day. After you get your luggage look for the train signs and you can walk to it just like you were walking to car rental or another gate.

If you buy first class tickets for the train make sure the first class train car you get into does not have the 1 up higher that the 2. This means that the first class compartment is up some stairs after you get on the train, and that means you have to carry your luggage up the stairs. The day we took the train there was a lot of empty seats. The train is about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

We are going on a AMA cruise from Basel to Amsterdam in April 2016. I was looking for the best way to get from Zurich to Basel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As others have said, definitely take the train. Easy, fast, and (relatively) inexpensive.