Could Wollongong take over from Sydney as a Homeport?

As reported on a previous thread , RCCL have announced they are going to visit Port Kembla. However , they could have far reaching ideas as they look for a port to take over from Sydney , where space is running out for them .

Wollongong tracked as alternative cruise homeport

http://www.cruisemapper.com/news/455-wollongong-tracked-as-alternative-cruise-homeport

more info on this thread;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254879

Can't see it happening.

Worse travel option than getting to Whtie Bay.

For years they've been talking about making Williamtown NSW's 2nd international airport, same problem no infrastructure to then get people to Sydney.

Newie would make a good home port too, but again you need to be able to get PAX to Sydney. Anything that doesn't get PAX to Sydney before after and during their cruise, (in a reasonable time) in my opinion won't float.

As reported on a previous thread , RCCL have announced they are going to visit Port Kembla. However , they could have far reaching ideas as they look for a port to take over from Sydney , where space is running out for them .

Wollongong tracked as alternative cruise homeport

http://www.cruisemapper.com/news/455-wollongong-tracked-as-alternative-cruise-homeport

more info on this thread;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254879

I don't believe what was meant by 'alternative' was to "take over" from Sydney, but to be a back-up, when it is already booked for that size.

Florida works in a similar way with ports at Miami, Port of Everglades and Fort Lauderdale. They have too many ships for just one port, so like airports they have multiple serving the same city/area. They are about 50 km away from each other though. This also happens in other cities.

It's not ideal, but many things aren't. However, the travel time to Wollongong is a lot less than many people travel to Sydney for cruises, and even many port stops to other cities.

Should certainly hope not. We live in Geelong Victoria and getting to Sydney is very easy as we are only a short drive from Avalon airport. Perhaps they should find a home port in Melbourne that would suit us better.

Yet Avalon is a secondary airport, and not so suited being further out and with poorer transport links to many who want to travel to Melbourne.

Good parallel. There are still airlines and people who use it, despite that.

If your coming from Sydney or north of Sydney it's a few hours longer.

If you're flying in, you probably fly to Sydney and the a few hours to the Gong.

Infrastructure is what's needed, White Bay would have been OK if they had bothered with some infrastructure to support it

Perhaps they could have a purpose built cruise facility next to wherever the new Sydney Airport is built .

...like Fort Lauderdale, off the plane ,onto a shuttle and into the ship...:):)

not a good idea because the new airport is going to be built at Badgerys Creek

Port Botany would be better than Wollongong for another cruise terminal

Good Luck with that plan RCCL ,no interstate or international traveller is going to like Wollongong over Sydney .No decent transport infrastructure and an industrial port .

Yes. What's needed is another deep water facility on the eastern side of the Bridge.

The only site that I can think of is Garden Island, but I imagine that is already locked up by other interests. Pity.

Other than that Port Botany. At least it's close to the airport.

As for Badgery's Creek where the new airport is going, you'd need to dig an 80km canal.

I don't believe what was meant by 'alternative' was to "take over" from Sydney, but to be a back-up, when it is already booked for that size.

Florida works in a similar way with ports at Miami, Port of Everglades and Fort Lauderdale. They have too many ships for just one port, so like airports they have multiple serving the same city/area. They are about 50 km away from each other though. This also happens in other cities.

It's not ideal, but many things aren't. However, the travel time to Wollongong is a lot less than many people travel to Sydney for cruises, and even many port stops to other cities.

What Big M said, they're not moving the whole show to the Gong, they're looking at it as somewhere else to sail from. I think it's a great idea especially since I'm from the Gong :D

Agree with some of the previous comments re distance. A perfect example is the distance from Rome to its major port and no fast train either. Many of the Asia ports are the same, with major cities miles upstream from the port with very little infrastructure to support cruise ships. Currently we don't have much of a problem here however Government needs to be looking into the future and a second deep water port. Hope they don't take as long as it is taking for a 2nd airport!

I must say I have just a little smile on my face. I know the authorities probably don't care much but there is a bit of a difference between coming into/leaving Sydney Harbour and comparing that experience to Wollongong or Botany. Having just met the Sea Princess at White Bay (sister arrived on her from London) I can understand a few of the transport issues getting to and from but I must say that the parking there is great - certainly better than at the OPT (and free).:)

Travelled to the gong for a non-cruise related gathering earlier this year - and hire car from the airport to Wollongong seemed to take forever - would hate to have to do it by train or taxi.

What ever happened to using Garden Island like they were talking about a year or so ago?

I must say I have just a little smile on my face. I know the authorities probably don't care much but there is a bit of a difference between coming into/leaving Sydney Harbour and comparing that experience to Wollongong or Botany. Having just met the Sea Princess at White Bay (sister arrived on her from London) I can understand a few of the transport issues getting to and from but I must say that the parking there is great - certainly better than at the OPT (and free).:)

Yep

Sailing n and out of Sydney is special. Hobart up the Derwent comes close.

And going under the bridge on a ship that appears to just clear the deck is unforgettable.

Travelled to the gong for a non-cruise related gathering earlier this year - and hire car from the airport to Wollongong seemed to take forever - would hate to have to do it by train or taxi.

What ever happened to using Garden Island like they were talking about a year or so ago?

I think the Navy blocked Garden Island.

I see logistic problems as well if it was to go ahead, getting a few thousand PAX to and from, remembering that there are times (not a huge number each year I admit) when ferry services on the harbour grind to a halt due to fog or weather or rough seas.

Interesting! That story was published by Cruise Critic a week earlier :mad:

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6516

I spoke again to Gavin Smith and here's his latest take on Wollongong.

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6541

Right now I am writing a follow-up story about Botany Bay too, so stay tuned.

I'll also be watching CruiseMapper to see if they copy either of these articles! :cool:

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

Cruise Critic

Hi,

In regards to your plight about not having enough space now to dock in Sydney, if the powers that be could just fix up the rest of Princess Pier across from Station Pier in Melbourne we could fit at least 7 ships in between them, still allowing the Spirit of Tasmania to dock on the other side of Station Pier, it would be spectacular again, we also have good transport to the city at the end of the pier via tram directly going past the Interstate Train Terminal (Southern Cross), you could also catch buses to the Airport from there.

I must admit that sailing in to Sydney on Sydney Harbor is spectacular.

I also love sailing up the Derwent in Hobart, unfortunately their new docking facilities is a lot to be desired, if they are lucky they could squeeze 2 ships in at a time.

Regards, :):)

Hi,

In regards to your plight about not having enough space now to dock in Sydney, if the powers that be could just fix up the rest of Princess Pier across from Station Pier in Melbourne we could fit at least 7 ships in between them, still allowing the Spirit of Tasmania to dock on the other side of Station Pier, it would be spectacular again, we also have good transport to the city at the end of the pier via tram directly going past the Interstate Train Terminal (Southern Cross), you could also catch buses to the Airport from there.

I also love sailing up the Derwent in Hobart, unfortunately their new docking facilities is a lot to be desired, if they are lucky they could squeeze 2 ships in at a time.

The tram right at the Per is great, my one question is would it handle the 15-20,000+ PAX that would be there if 7 ships were in port at once.

Hi,

Forgot to say it's rare that they need to dock more than 3 or 4 ships at a time. The biggest problem with Sydney is that they built a terminal in a position that many ships can't get too because they wont fit under the coathanger. And has no public transport.

Hi,

It would be great to have 7 ships docked in Melbourne...but one big problem......Port Phillip Bay. Thats a long long channel in and out which needs constant dredging.

Garden Island is just a wish by some, but not feasible given it's already occupied.

If we're going to talk about paying to kick someone out, paying to reclaim the Woolloomooloo wharf would be far more economic, less disruptive, and actually a better location all round.