Are shorter cruises worth it?

JessiMommy

Hubby and I planned to do a three night mini trip for our anniversary. We were/are going to get a nice hotel on the beach and just enjoy some "us" time. We have cruised before and enjoyed it. I just came across a deal where either a three or four night cruise would probably be cheaper than what we were going to do at a hotel. We've only done seven night cruises before so just wondering what your thoughts are on a shorter cruise?

Heck yeah it's worth it, especially if you live in SoFla. We've done numerous short cruises and with the exception of only a couple (on NCL), we've enjoyed every one.....and we're not huge party people.

Edited by Aquahound

A couple of years ago I was looking for a few days away. I found a 4-night cruise that was cheaper than a hotel (and included meals!), even with the solo supplement. I'd say most people were there to have fun, but there wasn't much in the way of sloppy, disgusting drunk behavior. It was, shall we say, "festive". There were all sorts of people on board, and again, most just seemed to want to get away and have fun.

I tend to go to bed early and get up early, so maybe I missed the worst of the behavior. And when we were in port, I enjoyed the quiet ship.

We are the party people that your mother warned you about. We take short cruises every year with a group of family and friends. We have had as many as 30 in our group. We book early and send out the date, and the shortness of it ensures that many can fit it into their lives without infringing on their own longer vacations. We dance and drink and sing and carry on like most of the other passengers on this Booze Cruise. We always find a party at the main pool, and leave the quite pool to those who want to relax. So everyone can have the cruise they want.

If just everyone was so considerate on those booze cruises. Unfortunately here not they spill into cabins and quiet pools and corridors.

Obviously there is a market for shorter cruises or the lines wouldn't offer them. My limited experience with them is that they do appeal to younger people who with work and/or family obligations can't get away for an extended period of time. Again reflecting on our limited experience with shorter cruises is that a one day cruise is notorious for being a "booze cruise" but not so 3 and 4 day ones. I wouldn't fly to one but if the cruise was from a port we lived close to and we really need a cruise fix then sure we would.

Depends upon where you live. If you can drive there, maybe, but I still would not do it. Considering air fares, I don't do anything less than 2 weeks unless the cruise is really special and I always add a DIY land portion to the trip.

The trip we are taking in a few days started as a 10 day Spain and Portugal and has morphed into a total length of 47 days. Two non-back-to-back cruises and a bunch of land days in Spain and Portugal.

DON

For "me time", I think a hotel stay would work better than a short cruise.

airlines, boarding and disembarking are more stress full the checking in and out of a hotel to which you have driven .

But if you don't have to fly:cool:

We enjoyed our 4 day Enchantment cruise last year.

We especially liked the Park Cafe and Solarium, where there was a relaxing atmosphere. When we wanted variety- there was plenty available- there were enough choices so that we didn't have to be in crowds for activities.

We usually take 7 or 10 day cruises, but this was fine for a short vacation.

(We also stayed 2 days pre-cruise and 1 day post-cruise in Florida.)

DW and I had just returned from a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise (March 2015). Our next cruise (March 16) a 7 day Southern Caribbean seemed so far away so DW didn't want to wait a year so we booked a 4 Day Bahamas/Key West on Majesty. It seemed like a very good deal but once I factored in R/T air and pre-cruise hotel, it would have been better to book a 7 day vs 4 day. We leave in 17 days so at this point I'm not worried about the coulda/woulda/shoulda. We intend on having a a fun time. :cool:

I'm going on a 4 night girls cruise in a few weeks. I like 7 day cruises the most, but try getting 4 R.N.s who all work days in the same department off at the same time is nearly impossible. I try to stay away from the party crowd on board, as others have said there are more partiers on board. Here's the funny part. Last year on a 3 night cruise the K.C. Royals were in the playoffs. We watched the games in our cabin. Watch half an inning, go on balcony and look at the wake. The other 2500 passengers were on deck 5 doing the Macarena, we were watching baseball. I have very fond memories of that cruise. This year, same week, same ship, the Royals are playing again we hope.

Enjoy whatever cruise you decide on, the minute I get onboard I am absolutely in my happy place.

The problem with a three night cruise is the fact that most of the first day is devoted to waiting to board and the last day you re hustled ashore - you really just have two days - and they are likely to be shared with many partiers trying to cram it all in. That is a lot of prep time for little ship time.

+1. Waste of time and money.

We did a four-night for our very first cruise. We wanted to "test the waters", so to speak: To see if we'd be seasick, to see if it was our kind of thing. I'm glad we made that choice first, but now that we know we like cruising, we wouldn't do such a short trip again. I think it would feel like, "Hey, I just boarded! How can it be time to leave?"

We've only done 4 nighters before (all on RCI) and have never felt like we were on a Booze Cruise. Never saw unruly overly intoxicated folks and still found lots of places to relax and enjoy quieter activities. Our lids were with us on 2 of them and never any issues with people being out of control. Plus you can get off in ports and explore at your leisure.

Here is our thoughts on short 3-4 night cruises. One, we are on a cruise ship.

Two, we are on a cruise ship. :D

We plan two long 10 plus days each year. Then She Who Must Be Obeyed checks almost every day for a good deal on a short cruise on the West Coast.

We have been on several and have always enjoyed our selves. The shortest warning I had was her running into the family room and asking me if I want to go on a cruise. It was Thursday and the ship departed Monday. I said Yes and we activated our emergency departure plan. She called Princess to reserve the cruise and I called the Hotel in San Pedro to reserve us a room under their stay and sail plan which stores our car.

One spin off from jumping on short cruises is that it adds to your Cruise Loyality level. Only 200 more and we reach Exalted level. :D

Bob