MAD as a Wet Hen

2thesea

To the OP, we are on the Allure the week after you and are fully expecting the same thing to happen price wise. We have been watching and waiting to see if there are any price changes because let's all be honest here, who doesn't want more or better for money they spend?

I truly feel for you....

I understand what the rules are. BUT when the CEO tells the media that this sort of sale concept is not longer going to be offered I believed him. When a sale occurs LESS then 24hr after a final payment date it seems as though RCI could care less about there loyal cruisers. This sale was posted @ Midnight and I paid our final payment @ 8p. That a little calis don't you think?

No I don't think so. They are a business and a deadline is a deadline, even if you made your payment at 11:59 and the sale started at midnight. As they told you a rule is a rule is a rule, so why do you think this should not apply to you?

I still don't see the ggg sale that's on the c&a site, just the regular rci site.

LEAVING FROM:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

CRUISE:

7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

TRAVEL DATES:

Sun 6 Dec - Sun 13 Dec 2015

TOTAL GUESTS:

SHIP:

Allure Of The Seas

STATEROOM:

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

TOTAL:

$ 2,081.94 USD

View Summary of Charges

Next you'll tell us about who's traveling

This is another one I booked - savings $290

I believe you, I just can't see anything for allure on the ggg sale.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-deals/offers/going-going-gone?icid=gnggng_tctclp_gng_gnrlmr_cntntr_4873

Edited by setsail

I am very upset about the Anthem sale as well. Basically, I paid for 3 cabins for parents' 50th anniversary to the tune of $9k. If I booked today, it would be around $7600 plus each cabin would have gotten $200 OBC. I called and they will not budge one bit.

Other lines have better policies (for example, Carnival) and still others have same written policy as RCCL but will typically make concessions with a simple call to inquire (for example, NCL will give 25-50% of the difference in OBC if an upgrade isn't available if you ask the right person)

And, no, it isn't typical of everything. Many things in life have price protection. It is one of the reasons I choose certain credit cards or certain merchants. The policy of dropping prices like that right after final payment (for the sole purpose of locking in the higher prices for the 1000s already booked) is extremely frustrating and deceptive. To go out and make a statement suggesting it wont happen anymore and then doing it regularly anyway, makes RCCL a company I feel a bit skeptical about right now in terms of integrity.

Family vacation booked on the Allure for Dec 6th this year. Paid final deposit yesterday. TODAY less than 24hrs RCI offering a GGG sale.....saving per cabin $600! I called and was told Too Bad.....the rules are the rules are the rules. Not very happy. Really put a sale out like that less then 24 hours after final date?

I have been told that if it is within 48 hrs of payment, you can get a price adjustment. I asked if they meant 48 hrs after booking and was told no, that it applied to 48 hrs of final payment as well. Call back and ask for a supervisor.

No I don't think so. They are a business and a deadline is a deadline, even if you made your payment at 11:59 and the sale started at midnight. As they told you a rule is a rule is a rule, so why do you think this should not apply to you?

Truly it is not a matter of it applying to me or not it is a matter of the CEO telling the public that this type of sale would not occur. And it has. It is also called customer service and valuing your loyal customer.

I have been told that if it is within 48 hrs of payment, you can get a price adjustment. I asked if they meant 48 hrs after booking and was told no, that it applied to 48 hrs of final payment as well. Call back and ask for a supervisor.

Royal's low price guarantee lasts for 48 hours after initial booking.

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

A: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the "Going. Going. Gone Sales Events"; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable

Royal's low price guarantee lasts for 48 hours after initial booking.

I understand but I am telling you what a rep just told me yesterday when I called to complain about the price drop. She specifically told me- at my pointed question- that it would apply to final payment as well. It didn't matter to me because I paid final 2 weeks ago. Whether she was right or wrong is anyone's guess. Typically call center reps aren't always the best informed. In any case, asking for a supervisor wont do any harm other than wasting a few minutes. At least then management also hears people's cocnerns.

Edited by conandrob240

Truly it is not a matter of it applying to me or not it is a matter of the CEO telling the public that this type of sale would not occur. And it has. It is also called customer service and valuing your loyal customer.

In reality he said that if prices were lowered at 10,20,30 or 40 days out they would not be lowered again, all within FP. Which means prices could be lowered up to these times. Since you cat was lowered and its outside of 40 days, it could be lowered again

Edited by setsail

Royal gave no assurances that there would not be sales/discounts after final payment. Here is what was said: "As a result in March we adopted a new policy that we would not do any last minute discounts on bookings in North America. Depending on the type of cruise, that last minute may be 10, 20 or 30 days out, but from that point on we will hold our price at the prior level,” Fain continued.

You reported that they offered this discount within 24 hours of final payment. According to the above statement, there could be discounts following final payment but not at the "last minute" which might be defined as 10 to 30 days out.

BTW, you're situation is exactly why RCI is trying to go away from last minute discounting. It upsets people.

I understand but I am telling you what a rep just told me yesterday when I called to complain about the price drop. She specifically told me- at my pointed question- that it would apply to final payment as well. It didn't matter to me because I paid final 2 weeks ago. Whether she was right or wrong is anyone's guess. Typically call center reps aren't always the best informed. In any case, asking for a supervisor wont do any harm other than wasting a few minutes. At least then management also hears people's cocnerns.

I agree, it's worth a try talking to a supervisor. I've seen people report here that they get some OBC every once in a while.

I always say that deciding when to book depends on how much of a gambler you are. I wait to book most of our cruises after the final payment date. Sometimes the prices go up and we end up not going. That happened to us this past spring break. (DH teaches at a community college, so our vacation time is set by his school schedule.) Other times, we save a bundle by waiting. For instance, we were on a Princess ship for a week last year at New Year's for $500 less per person than when I first started looking at prices plus we each received $100 on-board credit. That was a huge savings.

Edited by geoherb

In all my cruises, almost all went up after I booked. I figure that makes up for the for the couple that went down had I waited. Win some, lose some. My next cruise went down after final payment. But I'm ok with that, I have 9256 :D

Edited by sr4mjc

I always say that deciding when to book depends on how much of a gambler you are. I wait to book most of our cruises after the final payment date. Sometimes the prices go up and we end up not going. That happened to us this past spring break. (DH teaches at a community college, so our vacation time is set by his school schedule.) Other times, we save a bundle by waiting. For instance, we were on a Princess ship for a week last year at New Year's for $500 less per person than when I first started looking at prices plus we each received $100 on-board credit. That was a huge savings.

Am I missing something, here? How do you book a cruise after you pay for it? Or should I say, how do you pay for a cruise without booking it?

No I don't think so. They are a business and a deadline is a deadline, even if you made your payment at 11:59 and the sale started at midnight. As they told you a rule is a rule is a rule, so why do you think this should not apply to you?[/quote

Did you not read the answer.

I understand what the rules are. BUT when the CEO tells the media that this sort of sale concept is not longer going to be offered I believed him. When a sale occurs LESS then 24hr after a final payment date it seems as though RCI could care less about there loyal cruisers. This sale was posted @ Midnight and I paid our final payment @ 8p. That a little calis don't you think?

I believe the OP understands a rule is a rule is a rule! What she can't understand is that why the CEO is reneging on his promise that there will be no wholesale price dropping to move vacant cabins at the last minute.

People are making their purchasing decision on this unwritten promise. Just because it is not a written rule that doesn't make it null and void. There was a day that when a promise was made by someone it was more than lip work. As someone mentioned before try and have a little empathy.

Am I missing something, here? How do you book a cruise after you pay for it? Or should I say, how do you pay for a cruise without booking it?

It's pretty clear, they book the cruise within 75 days (or 60 days if it's a shorter cruise) of sailing date. They have to pay full price at that point.

[quote

I believe the OP understands a rule is a rule is a rule! What she can't understand is that why the CEO is reneging on his promise that there will be no wholesale price dropping to move vacant cabins at the last minute.

/QUOTE]

This was covered in #'s 35/37

OP, a D2 or D1 would be an upgrade (you'll have to pay some more). If you don't want to do that, stay with what you booked, remember you were happy with what you paid and you were happy with your cabin selection.

This is no different than buying air tickets and then finding out the prices dropped. If the price drops bother you, don't look at them.

I understand your frustration. It's the nature of the business. I've booked early and booked after final payment. It is a gamble. I do not look at prices after I make final payment. That would drive me insane. :rolleyes:

But that has been the rule for quite some time now. I'm sure you knew that going in. How can you be mad? It doesn't matter what the ceo said, cruise prices will fluctuate depending on supply and demand. Like the other poster said you got what you wanted for how how much you wanted a year ago, you cant complain now. It sucks, its frustrating, its money, I get it, but we all know this can happen and probably will.

OPs cruise is not on the GGG sale but is on sale today.

What I found interesting was the price of a D3, D4, or D6 is $929pp before taxes/port fees bring it up to $2081.

That's $929 PER PERSON - not an inflated $$ price for 1st and discounted $$ after BOGOHO for 2nd. THERE IS NO BOGO PRICING! I don't know if this is happening with other cruises that are past final but for anyone sitting on enough BofA Royal Rewards for free or companion cruises, this might offer a solution to the heretofore "not worth redeeming points for cruises with BOGO pricing" and just settling for OBC instead.

As for OP, I feel your pain, but this has been Royal's policy for quite awhile now. I would do like molly361 suggested and call again to see if you can upgrade to a D3, D4 or D6. You won't get the lower price but perhaps one of the cabins is at a better location. At least that is something.

~ Judy

We booked almost a year ago. Paid $2375 for a D8 - it now pricing @ $2075 for a D6 on GGG

Maybe I'm missing something but the D8's are actually higher than your original booking with the BOGO but the D6 is lower than the D8 without any BOGO discount for that sailing. Under the summary of charges, it's a straight fare for both passengers. I've never seen that before. Anyone else? :confused: