About to become a 4 star mariner

sandydownunder

Going on Voyage of the Vikings (35 nights) next year. It will be almost 10 years since I've sailed on HAL. I'm sure there will be lots of changes.

I have 191 days. After 9 days on board will they upgrade me to 4 star mariner? On a 35 night cruise I would like the free laundry perk. Do you think they'll make me wait until my next cruise with HAL?

Going on Voyage of the Vikings (35 nights) next year. It will be almost 10 years since I've sailed on HAL. I'm sure there will be lots of changes.

I have 191 days. After 9 days on board will they upgrade me to 4 star mariner? On a 35 night cruise I would like the free laundry perk. Do you think they'll make me wait until my next cruise with HAL?

If you booked this as a full voyage (not B2B) then the technical answer is no and you will have to wait until the next cruise.

If there are different segments and you will have completed your 9 days, it may be possible as it has happened for a couple of our roll call members. That was a while ago, though.

They called the Mariner's society to ask and were given instructions.

I would suggest that you do the same.

They will tell you and also give you instructions IF it is possible.

Congratulations on becoming a 4 star mariner at the end of your next cruise.

Kazu has it right - if you booked it as 1 cruise -- you will not get the perks on that cruise.

But if you booked it as 2 segments and have 2 confirmation numbers -- then you are in luck.

You can get credit after the first segment of a two segment cruise with one booking number. :)

I verified this with the Mariners Society on our 36 day Auckland - Sydney - Vancouver cruise this past April (14 day Auckland - Sydney, 22 day Sydney - Vancouver). At that time they said, so long as I needed 14 days or less coming into the cruise, I would be upgraded to 4* on the second segment.

I would suggest the OP contacts the Mariner Society to confirm their situation. If I recall, the VOV is made up of a 17 day segment and an 18 day segment.

There is nothing to lose by going to Front Office, with a print out of your Mariners History, and asking for the benefit after the end of the first segment in the Netherlands. Don't count on it but you could be pleased to find they will grant the amenities for your segment returning to Boston.

Congratulations.

You can get credit after the first segment of a two segment cruise with one booking number. :)

I verified this with the Mariners Society on our 36 day Auckland - Sydney - Vancouver cruise this past April (14 day Auckland - Sydney, 22 day Sydney - Vancouver). At that time they said, so long as I needed 14 days or less coming into the cruise, I would be upgraded to 4* on the second segment.

I would suggest the OP contacts the Mariner Society to confirm their situation. If I recall, the VOV is made up of a 17 day segment and an 18 day segment.

Yes, VOV is 17 day and 18 day segments.

Congratulations! You have nothing to lose by stopping by the front desk when it is not busy (preferred is no one is around) after you have enough days and politely ask if you can have your benefits now as such a long cruise. They may say yes even though technically you would have to wait until after the cruise. (Only Grand cruises allow for the upgrade during the cruise.) If they say yes, ask for a new key card as your discounts are in the mag strip. Wish you luck

thanks, I tried to say this in my early post but my roll call members were not as recent as your cruise.

I agree that the OP should contact Mariner's society.

For our roll call members, they were told to take a printout of their current standing and as long it was only sea days required, they would get it.

They received an email from the Mariner's society as well and armed with those two things had no problem.

good luck to the OP and thanks shrimpboat for confirming that our experience is still recent ;)

thanks, I tried to say this in my early post but my roll call members were not as recent as your cruise.

I agree that the OP should contact Mariner's society.

For our roll call members, they were told to take a printout of their current standing and as long it was only sea days required, they would get it.

They received an email from the Mariner's society as well and armed with those two things had no problem.

good luck to the OP and thanks shrimpboat for confirming that our experience is still recent ;)

One more small point. The OP should consult with the Front Desk part way through the first segment and explain the situation. The Front Desk will contact headquarters to confirm every thing is correct and have all the paperwork in order by the end of the first segment. That way you will be able to go back to the Front Desk on the first day of the second segment and get your new Key Cards with the 4* on them.

It worked for me. :)

Thanks Everyone. Lots of good advice. Another advantage may be that my friend and I have booked a guarantee cabin. Don't know if they will require us to change cabins after the first leg. That would mean a new key card and the perfect time to change my status (in my opinion).

Thanks Everyone. Lots of good advice. Another advantage may be that my friend and I have booked a guarantee cabin. Don't know if they will require us to change cabins after the first leg. That would mean a new key card and the perfect time to change my status (in my opinion).

changing cabins will make no difference and if you are on a collectors I think you will find you have the same cabin for the entire cruise.

None of our roll call members were in different cabins and I doubt shrimpboat was either so that has no impact IMO.

Best bet - follow the advice that those that were successful have laid out and do let us know how you make out :)

One more small point. The OP should consult with the Front Desk part way through the first segment and explain the situation. The Front Desk will contact headquarters to confirm every thing is correct and have all the paperwork in order by the end of the first segment. That way you will be able to go back to the Front Desk on the first day of the second segment and get your new Key Cards with the 4* on them.

It worked for me. :)

good point. and it worked for skiww and a few others too, but you need to be proactive as you were :)

There is nothing to lose by going to Front Office, with a print out of your Mariners History, and asking for the benefit after the end of the first segment in the Netherlands. Don't count on it but you could be pleased to find they will grant the amenities for your segment returning to Boston.

Congratulations.

Congratulations!

Agree with Sales Seven Seas, & others you have nothing to loose by going to the front office..

I thought that Voyage of the Vikings were part of the Grand Cruises, but they are not..

On Grand Cruises you would be elevated to the next level when you cross the star threshold..

Would it be possible to take a 7 day cruise in the meantime? With onboard spending of $600 (including HSC, pre booked shorex or specialty dining) you would earn 9 cruise day credits which would get you to 4 star status before your VOV cruise.

This is what I was thinking. It would be a real plus on the VOV to have the free laundry. I used the Laundromat (a real help!) but many enjoyed the free laundry benefit. It looked to me as it the clothes I saw coming back were done really, really well. Hung up, pressed....looked great.

This is what I was thinking. It would be a real plus on the VOV to have the free laundry. I used the Laundromat (a real help!) but many enjoyed the free laundry benefit. It looked to me as it the clothes I saw coming back were done really, really well. Hung up, pressed....looked great.

IMO the laundry people do an excellent job!

Something so nice about wearing an ironed polo shirt.

IMO the laundry people do an excellent job!

Something so nice about wearing an ironed polo shirt.

We love the laundry service. We will be 4 star after our next cruise but we have been paying for unlimited laundry our last few cruises.

Rockfan2

I did what several posters recommended and contacted the Mariner Society. What a great response! I have been told to go to the Front Desk (they even worked out the date for me). My status will be checked with Head Office and I will have my upgrade for the second segment. Below is a quote from the email I received.

Guests sailing on multiple segmented voyages who cross over to a higher Star level during one of their segments will receive the upgraded Star level on the next segment.

I am impressed with the efficient way the Mariner Society has responded and delighted with the outcome.

Thankyou to everyone who took the time to respond to this thread and offer advice.

I did what several posters recommended and contacted the Mariner Society. What a great response! I have been told to go to the Front Desk (they even worked out the date for me) ... I am impressed with the efficient way the Mariner Society has responded and delighted with the outcome.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to this thread and offer advice.

And thank you for your upbeat post - always nice to hear when someone has a good experience dealing with HAL. Also nice to see that "several posters recommended" that you contact HAL Mariner Society directly for an answer to your Mariner Society question.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Edited by avian777