Just off The Wind

Mayflower1

We are just returned from 24 glorious days in the Med on The wind, from Venice to Barcelona.

Having spent a few Cruises on The Wind in the past it is always good to return to see old Faces, among both the Crew and Passengers. It is so good to be greeted as a Friend by a Crew Member within the first 20 minutes and in this regard Silversea seldom fails to succeed.

The 3 Cruises, 10,7 & 7 days produced a varied mix of Guests including a Wine Group who were Nightbirds, a large Family Group and a Club Group who were good natured but noisy !!! as well as the usual longstanding Venetian Silversea Couples - all in all very well balanced.

The ship remains in good condition albeit that a close inspection will reveal some much needed refurbishment. The Food was excellent throughout the ship but the new Menu was certainly creating some angst with a number of longstanding Guests - The Burger discussion was rampant and the consensus seemed to be that such items should not appear each night on the MDR Menu.

The Staff were unfailingly wonderful and probably the most happy Group that we have encountered in over 15 years. Everyone from The Hotel Director down did their level best to provide each Guest with superb Service. They deserved the Standing Ovation they received on the last Farewell Reception.

There was much discussion surrounding the News of The Cloud moving to the Expedition Fleet and what could be the fate of The Wind once The Muse is in Service - clearly no answers as yet.

All in all another great Cruise and inspite of the cosmetic issues associated with a 20 year old ship, we will be back in 2016 ( and 2017 !!! ) if our health permits.

A note for you BriMary - we have been fortunate ( ? ) to book for the June 2017 Norwegian Round Voyage on the Wind from Tower Bridge - booked at 2.00pm on Thursday and there were only 2 Mid Veranda Suites left - I see a massive insert in todays Daily Telegraph from ' Readers ' - it really is too bad and the Onboard Consultant was far from amused !!!!

I see a massive insert in todays Daily Telegraph from ' Readers ' - it really is too bad and the Onboard Consultant was far from amused !!!!

I, too, have noticed an antipathy from Cruise Consultants towards that particular agency. Yet I suspect a lot of the UK business for SS goes through this channel particularly as some of the packages offered by the anonymous agency are very attractive.

Good to hear of your successful trip.

Edited by Tothesunset

I was on a Tower Bridge-Tower Bridge cruise on the Cloud 3 years ago, and found the very large number (70+) on the Daily Telegraph ' Readers' Offer' had a massively detrimental impact on the atmosphere. Most had experience of cruising on much larger lines and spent the cruise whinging about lack of evening entertainment and other apparently minor issues, yet did not express any positive interest in food, drink, itinerary of small ports, staff etc, which for most more regular cruisers are the benefits of SS.

Although, interestingly, on a recent (early September Seabourn cruise), we met up with 2 different couples who had had their first small luxury cruise experience through the very same 'Readers' Offer' cruise (we recognised each other at Trivia). They had been converted to small all-inclusives although both had changed their allegiance to SB.

It must be cruises which do not need air flights. The worst small ship cruise we have done was Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale on SB. A large number of guests were from Florida. There were so many moaners. All other cruises be they on Silversea, SB or Seadream we have had a blast. Our TA rather thinks that the no fly option is a link. Who knows.

I agree with all the sentiments expressed - I have no issue with the content of Guests from this Agency ( one can get ' Moaners ' anywhere - its best to ignore them in my opinion ) but the fact that one Agency seems able to virtually Block Book, ahead of any Advert appearing in the Press is frustrating for other Agents/Consultants/Guests. There appears to be a strict Cut Off Point in their Adverts so one suspects that if they do not have a full Take Up by that date, then Suites will be released back to Silversea for normal sale.

I can quite see that Silversea earn a substantial Income from such an Agency but this is at the expense of individual guest bookings - this is what is turning off the Onboard Consultants.

It is quite right to say that any London/London sailing will prove especially attractive to UK residents and it is likely that the Cruise will be fully sold in a short time by any Sales method.

Mayflower....Delighted to read your excellent comments on your Wind cruise.It has sowed the seeds of anticipation for our cruise with you in 2016.Thankfully our back to back cruises are sandwiched between the two Daily MAIL charters next year.Agree the income from charters is vital to SS in today's competitive cruising climate but delighted our cruise in 2016 is not affected by charters.Noticed a substantial increase in UK/UK cruises in 2017 so waiting for the Daily Mail ads to follow the recent Daily Telegraph one.

Just curious - why do the cruise sales people on board dislike the Telegraph/Daily Mail bookers so much? Is it for financial reasons, or just that they are typical readers of these papers - maybe more likely to be unused to cruising or likely to complain about things?

Good morning LincsLady - I believe the problem for the Onboard Consultants lies with their inability to satisfy their captive audience ( the Guests onboard at that moment ) due to the Blocking off of a large amount of Suites at such an early stage after the Schedule announcement.

This Agent is no different to any other Agent in that the Guests are not connected in any way, unlike a true Charter, other than through the Booking Agent - thus the Onboard Consultant should have no view, other than perhaps past experience, as to the type of Guest involved.

This Agent has a widespread market via the UK Press and seems to be able to persuade Silversea to Block Suites ahead of any known Sale ( The Advert did not appear in the UK Press until 2 Days after the Onboard Consultant indicated that the ship was virtually Full ???? ).

Edited by Mayflower1
Typing error

We are just returned from 24 glorious days in the Med on The wind, from Venice to Barcelona.

Having spent a few Cruises on The Wind in the past it is always good to return to see old Faces, among both the Crew and Passengers. It is so good to be greeted as a Friend by a Crew Member within the first 20 minutes and in this regard Silversea seldom fails to succeed.

The 3 Cruises, 10,7 & 7 days produced a varied mix of Guests including a Wine Group who were Nightbirds, a large Family Group and a Club Group who were good natured but noisy !!! as well as the usual longstanding Venetian Silversea Couples - all in all very well balanced.

The ship remains in good condition albeit that a close inspection will reveal some much needed refurbishment. The Food was excellent throughout the ship but the new Menu was certainly creating some angst with a number of longstanding Guests - The Burger discussion was rampant and the consensus seemed to be that such items should not appear each night on the MDR Menu.

The Staff were unfailingly wonderful and probably the most happy Group that we have encountered in over 15 years. Everyone from The Hotel Director down did their level best to provide each Guest with superb Service. They deserved the Standing Ovation they received on the last Farewell Reception.

There was much discussion surrounding the News of The Cloud moving to the Expedition Fleet and what could be the fate of The Wind once The Muse is in Service - clearly no answers as yet.

All in all another great Cruise and inspite of the cosmetic issues associated with a 20 year old ship, we will be back in 2016 ( and 2017 !!! ) if our health permits.

A note for you BriMary - we have been fortunate ( ? ) to book for the June 2017 Norwegian Round Voyage on the Wind from Tower Bridge - booked at 2.00pm on Thursday and there were only 2 Mid Veranda Suites left - I see a massive insert in todays Daily Telegraph from ' Readers ' - it really is too bad and the Onboard Consultant was far from amused !!!!

It made it to The Times today with a massive 8 page supplement covering all the summer 2017 UK departures.

Saw that - biggest ad of theirs I have seen. However, it seems that bookings from this ad. have to be in by 15th October (another 11 days) so presumably after that they will open up to all? Which does seem to give plenty of time for others to book cruises in summer 2017 - unless the agent manages to sell lots of suites. It is hard to see if the pricing is good or not, as there are so many funny added extras laid on. I imagine they might appeal to less well travelled Brits. who want to cruise from the UK. Not to us however.