Amtrak in New York state to New York city for cruise

Paddy41

Can anyone familiar with Amtrak through New York state help me out?

In March we are cruising out of New York. I have booked a New York hotel for the evening before the cruise leaves. I am finding flights very expensive and thought of using Amtrak instead.

I could drive at least to Syracuse but possibly further and stay the night before that and use Amtrak to get to New York the day before the cruise. If I stay in Syracuse does anyone know if there is a hotel near the Amtrak station that will keep my car for the duration of the cruise? Or, does Amtrak have a secure parking garage and is there a charge? Do any hotels provide shuttle service to the Amtrak stations? As said, it doesn't have to be Syracuse. I could drive closer to New York city but I'm coming from Ontario via the Thousand Island bridge and through Watertown.

Any other info I haven't thought to ask is also welcome.

Could you drive to Albany? Yankee Trails has shuttle for $80 round trip. Makes it so easy. It is actually East Greenbush just off I 90 so easy to get to. Coming back would probably make for a long day though to drive back to Ontario

In March we are cruising out of New York. I have booked a New York hotel for the evening before the cruise leaves. I am finding flights very expensive and thought of using Amtrak instead.

I could drive at least to Syracuse but possibly further and stay the night before that and use Amtrak to get to New York the day before the cruise. If I stay in Syracuse does anyone know if there is a hotel near the Amtrak station that will keep my car for the duration of the cruise? Or, does Amtrak have a secure parking garage and is there a charge? Do any hotels provide shuttle service to the Amtrak stations? As said, it doesn't have to be Syracuse. I could drive closer to New York city but I'm coming from Ontario via the Thousand Island bridge and through Watertown.

You don't want to stay near the Amtrak station in Syr. :)

I don't stay at hotels here, so no help with the stay park options. I suggest you call the Amtrak station direct about their parking, for current information.

Alternatively- you could also continue down 81 another hour to Binghamton- and take cheap Megabus. There is a parking garage walking distance, but I don't know the rates. I've taken the 6am bus several times, day of cruise- In March- it would be a pretty sure bet of getting you there. :) Even better with more time in NYC with an overnight. I've stayed at the cheap Motel 6 a mile+ away as well.

I've found Amtrak to be more likely late, then on time. One trip the "late" was longer than the trip.

Could you drive to Albany? Yankee Trails has shuttle for $80 round trip. Makes it so easy. It is actually East Greenbush just off I 90 so easy to get to. Coming back would probably make for a long day though to drive back to Ontario

That's another 3 hours plus tolls. Taking the bus from Binghamton is closer, at only another hour drive.

DH and I did Amtrak into NYC for a cruise out on the Dawn, I believe. We are from near Rochester and so we boarded in Rochester. Syracuse has ample free parking at the station that you can leave your car for free. When you get into NYC, you end up at Penn Station which is right across the street from the Pennsylvanian Hotel. We went the day before and stayed there the night we arrived in NYC. It is not a fancy hotel but was clean and convenient. In the AM of the cruise, we got a cab and road to the pier which was about a $15 car ride including tip. It is only about three or four blocks from the pier. After the cruise, we took a cab back to Penn Station and got the train back home.

I have also done the Yankee Trails Bus Service from Albany. DD and I went out of NYC on a cruise to Bermuda. We drove to Albany the afternoon before the cruise and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer, NY. It was about a five minute drive to the bus station from there. We stopped at McDonalds on the way and had breakfast because the hotel breakfast did not open until 7 AM and we needed to be at the bus stop at that time. We rode the bus into NYC and they dropped us off at the Pier. about 10:30 AM. When we returned, they picked us up about 11 AM and took us back to Albany where we picked up are car and drove home. I think the price is $90 round trip now.

Between the two ways of getting into NYC, I liked the bus transportation better. It was very convenient and the service was on time. You have to know, if you travel Amtrak, you are running on "Amtrak Time" and it rarely the same as the rest of the world's time. Amtrak is known for being late and they usually are.

In the AM of the cruise, we got a cab and road to the pier which was about a $15 car ride including tip. It is only about three or four blocks from the pier. After the cruise, we took a cab back to Penn Station and got the train back home.

Are you claiming the Penn Station is 3/4 blocks from the ship? It sounds like you didn't consider Megabus.

Edited by Budget Queen

I just googled it and it is farther than 3 or 4 blocks. It says it is an 8 minute drive and 2.26 miles. You start out on 7th Ave and have to go to 12th Ave. Then you have to go from 34th Street up to 56th Street so it is more than 3 or 4 blocks. I just know it did not take the cab long at all to be dropping us off at the pier.

No, we have never used Megabus out of Binghamton but we done the other two routes. I always want to be in place the day before the cruise leaves. I don't ever want to be on the pier watching the ship pull out and leaving me behind. From our house to the Yankee Trails is about 3.5 hours. The stay overnight in the HIX in Rensselaer was very nice and relaxing. Amtrak leaves Rochester about mid morning and it is an 8 hour ride into the city and as I stated they are usually late arriving.

I just googled it and it is farther than 3 or 4 blocks. It says it is an 8 minute drive and 2.26 miles. You start out on 7th Ave and have to go to 12th Ave. Then you have to go from 34th Street up to 56th Street so it is more than 3 or 4 blocks. I just know it did not take the cab long at all to be dropping us off at the pier.

No, we have never used Megabus out of Binghamton but we done the other two routes. I always want to be in place the day before the cruise leaves. I don't ever want to be on the pier watching the ship pull out and leaving me behind. From our house to the Yankee Trails is about 3.5 hours. The stay overnight in the HIX in Rensselaer was very nice and relaxing. Amtrak leaves Rochester about mid morning and it is an 8 hour ride into the city and as I stated they are usually late arriving.

You aren't "in place the day before", in NYC, if you are in Albany. :) which is about the same- I use out of Binghamton. :) Haven't missed a ship yet. Just another option- perhaps for you? Shorter drive compared to Albany and no tolls. :)

Will keep it in mind if I sail out of NYC again. I did not know about the Megabus from Binghamton. Thanks for the head's up. This year, we are sailing out of Boston for a 13 day repo on RCCI. Will be taking Greyhound into Boston and renting a car and driving home from Tampa.

Will keep it in mind if I sail out of NYC again. I did not know about the Megabus from Binghamton. Thanks for the head's up. This year, we are sailing out of Boston for a 13 day repo on RCCI. Will be taking Greyhound into Boston and renting a car and driving home from Tampa.

Have a great trip. :) You don't fly? That's a long drive. I fly into Boston- great for getting to the port from Logan. Greyhound does a good job too.

Not for cruising, but we've driven to Syracuse from Ontario and taken Amtrak to NYC a couple of times and parked at the Amtrak station. I don't remember how much it cost but not unreasonable. The lot is well lit and there is security.

We have also flown out of Syracuse and parked at a hotel. I'm not sure if the hotels near the airport shuttle to the Amtrak station.

For the NYC cruises, DH and I drive from Ontario to NJ and then stay overnight there. We then park at the cruise port the next day.

We have a repo cruise next month leaving from Boston. For that one we're driving to Buffalo, parking our car at the station, and then getting on the train. The train splits around Albany with part going to Boston and the other part going to NYC.

When I was looking, flights from Buffalo were $208 and from Toronto $250 one way. Way too much, in my opinion. I can fly to Florida for half that. The train is more affordable ($63 pp one way), but the time are not convenient. But Megabus from Toronto to NYC is $15 pp. Drops you off in Times Square at 7am. I think it stops in both Rochester and Syracuse.

Have a great trip. :) You don't fly? That's a long drive. I fly into Boston- great for getting to the port from Logan. Greyhound does a good job too.

DH and I were in California when the terrorists took the towers down. My DH has refused to fly ever since so we use cars, buses and trains. Have crossed the US four times by train and once across Canada. Very relaxing way to travel but you do have to remember your are on "Amtrak Time."

What a nice surprise to see so many responses to my question. Thank you everyone.

Albany would definitely be further to drive than Binghamton and since we have driven to Florida before using I-81 for the first part of the trip, it would be a familiar highway. I did not know there were tolls if going to Albany so that was another good thing to know.

We live east of Toronto making the route over to Watertown and down the best for us but from our home to Syracuse is about a 4 hr. drive. We can't leave home until 4 pm. I think Binghamton would be doable so long as I booked a hotel for late arrival. Another option would be to stay overnight in Syracuse and drive to Binghamton early next morning. The unknown factor is always customs. Most times there are very few cars lined up at the Thousand Islands and we are through customs within 30 minutes. Have even done it in 15 minutes. At least the weather should be on our side since it will be mid March.

The Megabus sounds like the way to go. Thank you to those who talked about Amtrak time! I tried to get a sense of the Megabus schedule but cannot figure out how to get onto the site. It comes up telling me I have to install something so I did but then it takes me right back to the first page and when I try to put in Binghamton to New York it takes me to install again and then tells me I've already done the install and I'm back to putting in the towns again and then to install.....on and on. How do I get out of this loop? I even tried another search engine with the same results. As well it would not let me enter a date to depart.

Amtrak from Syracuse to Penn Station for two seniors is $105.40 each way so this Megabus would be a great savings.

Anyone know about parking at the Megabus station? Or, if we stay the night there, any hotels where we can leave the car for 10 days?

What a nice surprise to see so many responses to my question. Thank you everyone.

Albany would definitely be further to drive than Binghamton and since we have driven to Florida before using I-81 for the first part of the trip, it would be a familiar highway. I did not know there were tolls if going to Albany so that was another good thing to know.

We live east of Toronto making the route over to Watertown and down the best for us but from our home to Syracuse is about a 4 hr. drive. We can't leave home until 4 pm. I think Binghamton would be doable so long as I booked a hotel for late arrival. Another option would be to stay overnight in Syracuse and drive to Binghamton early next morning. The unknown factor is always customs. Most times there are very few cars lined up at the Thousand Islands and we are through customs within 30 minutes. Have even done it in 15 minutes. At least the weather should be on our side since it will be mid March.

The Megabus sounds like the way to go. Thank you to those who talked about Amtrak time! I tried to get a sense of the Megabus schedule but cannot figure out how to get onto the site. It comes up telling me I have to install something so I did but then it takes me right back to the first page and when I try to put in Binghamton to New York it takes me to install again and then tells me I've already done the install and I'm back to putting in the towns again and then to install.....on and on. How do I get out of this loop? I even tried another search engine with the same results. As well it would not let me enter a date to depart.

Amtrak from Syracuse to Penn Station for two seniors is $105.40 each way so this Megabus would be a great savings.

Anyone know about parking at the Megabus station? Or, if we stay the night there, any hotels where we can leave the car for 10 days?

I just pulled up the megabus site and it seems you can only book about 2 months out. They have buses leaving from Syracuse too! So that may be a big help. It leaves from the Syracuse Regional Transit Center which is where Amtrak is too. Parking is $8USD per day. Lots of information on both websites. It looks like there are more times from the Binghamton station though.

I just chose a different day of the week from Syracuse and there were more times. So play with dates in the upcoming months and see what works best for you.

Edited by orangegrove

I just pulled up the megabus site and it seems you can only book about 2 months out. They have buses leaving from Syracuse too! So that may be a big help. It leaves from the Syracuse Regional Transit Center which is where Amtrak is too. Parking is $8USD per day. Lots of information on both websites. It looks like there are more times from the Binghamton station though.

I just chose a different day of the week from Syracuse and there were more times. So play with dates in the upcoming months and see what works best for you.

Thanks, I finally did realize that I was trying to look at a date too far out. They only go as far as mid-November right now. I will check out Syracuse. There is a great restaurant there where we love to have dinner. Amazing how food can influence your entire itinerary isn't it?

When I was looking, flights from Buffalo were $208 and from Toronto $250 one way. Way too much, in my opinion. I can fly to Florida for half that. The train is more affordable ($63 pp one way), but the time are not convenient. But Megabus from Toronto to NYC is $15 pp. Drops you off in Times Square at 7am. I think it stops in both Rochester and Syracuse.

Same reason we use Amtrak and we are from Montreal! It's a 10 hours ride, but it usually cost $140 for the roundtrip. + being 6'5", I enjoy the extra space of the train vs bus.

Penn's Station is very nicely located and you will find a lot of hotels around. We are not a fan of Pensilvanya hotel. Between the ants in the shower, the bad service, the poor looking roms and the hallways that never end which has a small b-movie horror vibe, it's very close and fairly cheap for location. Don't expect too much.

You might find the hotel information on Cruise-critic's East Coast Departure's New York.

Someone might have posted the information, or you could post the question there.

Penn's Station is very nicely located and you will find a lot of hotels around. We are not a fan of Pensilvanya hotel. Between the ants in the shower, the bad service, the poor looking roms and the hallways that never end which has a small b-movie horror vibe, it's very close and fairly cheap for location. Don't expect too much.

I too think the Pennsylvania Hotel a dump. :)

I recently stayed at the Wingate- on 35th quick walk from Penn station, even with pushing a wheelchair.

Also look at Greyhound, from Binghamton. My sister just picked up 4 tickets for a cruise in January for $107 round trip, using companion fares. I've never seen any low rates with Megabus out of Syr, have always been significantly lower out of Binghamtom, plus the shorter, more direct ride.

I would be worried about weather in upstate NY in March. Snow is not unusual even in April. I would be sure to be in New York City the day before the cruise.

Leaving home around 4 pm two days before the cruise. Will stay overnight wherever I can pick up cheap transport (bus? rail?) to New York city. Travel to NY city the day before the cruise. Have booked a hotel already near the pier.

You are so right about snow in March. Two years ago I booked a flight to NY early the morning of the cruise and then stressed out about it from booking date on. Sure enough the night before the cruise, a snow storm came roaring through the eastern states BUT we were so lucky because it hit south of NY and our flight was not affected. I'll tell you, that really woke me up. Never again will I plan to arrive for a cruise the day of.