Transfers

katz

You can BUT they are super expensive.

We always do our own transfers. There ARE times when it may be worth the expense -- say you have a big distance and not much time.

We generally go in early and leave late so it's easier to arrange our own transfers (whether we take a cab or book a van) than if we were just arriving or leaving on the day.

More details for your question might help in our giving specific answers.

Mura

We are flying into Rio on embarkation day and flying out of Miami.

I like the convenience of ship transfers in a foreign country. It has been a long time since we disembarked in Miami, and I can't remember if taxis were available at the port.

We are flying into Rio on embarkation day and flying out of Miami.

I like the convenience of ship transfers in a foreign country. It has been a long time since we disembarked in Miami, and I can't remember if taxis were available at the port.

Taxis are readily available in MIA and the rate to airport is fixed - that's very nice, IMO.

And O will be happy to take your money if you want to pay for a transfer.

We arrived in Rio by ship so I don't recall how far it was to the airport. On our departure we had a day's tour with a transfer to the airport and I don't recall that it was more than half an hour's drive but then again I am not sure just where we were when we boarded the van the last time.

On our second Renaissance cruise we booked our own air (because Ren didn't give us the flights we wanted). As it turned out we were on a flight with many Renaissance passengers. So we just walked on the bus and they took us to our hotel. I don't think that would happen with O, however!

I certainly can understand wanting the security of a cruise line transfer in a foreign country.

Mura

We did Rio to Miami on Regatta and took taxis, no Oceania transfers are necessary. We flew into Rio several days early and took a taxi from the airport to the Sofitel hotel on Copacabana beach. Taxis were readily available and not that expensive. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact price, we paid in reals. The cruise pier is a little closer to the airport than our hotel was.

We took a taxi from the hotel to the pier, about ten minutes by taxi, and the price was reasonable but again I don't remember the exact price.

Oceania tried hard on board to sell transfers from the port of Miami, we didn't buy them. Taxis were readily available and we were in a cab within five minutes of leaving the terminal.

The first episode of the new season of Amazing race featured Rio, try to watch if you missed it. Rio is spectacular.

I assume you are doing the Amazon, we loved every minute of the trip.

Edited by sammiedawg

We took a taxi from GIG (Rio) to the port and paid about $50 USD. After finishing with customs and immigration, we walked through the airport towards the exit to find a booth for "Coop taxi". They quoted the price beforehand and we were off. Their taxis were air conditioned and clean. During dinner that evening, we sat with a couple who had taken the Oceania transfer. They had to wait 2 hours after landing for everyone to deplane, get their luggage and go through customs and immigration before the bus was loaded up. It may be convenient for someone else to make the arrangements, but it was much faster and cheaper for us to take a taxi.