Latest time you can disembark?

Zeno

If you want to pass the time for several hours....

Pre book a nearby hotel. If you arriving Saturday morning in port... book the FRIDAY and tell the hotel you are late check-in is in Saturday morning.

Then leave the ship... soonest... and get to the hotel and get into your room and then have a quiet breakfast in the hotel.... even a sleep later on and then change into travelling clothes and the go to the airport.

If you don't want to pay for the room.... what I would do... have done in some arrivals.... leave the ship say 8 am. Assume you are arriving at Lauderdale? Lead over to Pier 66. Tell the porter that you want to keep the luggage in his care so that you can have a breakfast in the Pier 66 restaurant. After that... lounge about the public rooms. Once in a while I go out shopping and come back later. Then ready, plenty of taxi or shuttle is right there to take you to the station or airport.

I agree anything is better than sitting in an airport... just be prepared for a charge for the porter.... even $5 or $10 for the bags. If you are that serious about having a quiet time give him a good tip.

Since there have been a number of responses to the first part of your question, but none addressing the second part, you might try to post another topic just addressing just the shore excursion time. We all tend to get off topic on these posts and sometimes miss the entire question.

I answered that question.

Just an aside. Does anyone else find it strange that folks look forward (for months) to going on a cruise, and then cannot wait to be among the first off the ship so they can sit around an ugly airport for many hours? DW and I try to enjoy every minute on cruise ships which means getting aboard as early as possible on embarkation day and being among the last off the ship at debarkation. Yes, there are some exceptions when we need to take an earlier flight....but we avoid that unless absolutely necessary.

Hank

Too bad, they can wait. I did not ask to have my room ready so early at the beginning of the cruise and we typically don't show up for a cruise until 1pm or so. We will typically have a leisurely last breakfast in the MDR and then casually walk off the ship at 9:30 am.

igraf

Remember how excited you were to get on the ship? Waiting and waiting for those last pokey people to get off so you could get on and get your vacation started?

So get off. Don't dawdle. There are a couple thousand people waiting on the other side anxiously awaiting THEIR vacation to start.

Edited by igraf

Just an aside. Does anyone else find it strange that folks look forward (for months) to going on a cruise, and then cannot wait to be among the first off the ship so they can sit around an ugly airport for many hours? DW and I try to enjoy every minute on cruise ships which means getting aboard as early as possible on embarkation day and being among the last off the ship at debarkation. Yes, there are some exceptions when we need to take an earlier flight....but we avoid that unless absolutely necessary.

Hank

Just speaking for us, even though we can wait to get off, by 9:00 a.m. we are ready to go and see no need to sit around for 1/2 hour. We usually have a hotel booked for a post cruise stay so head there, get rid of the luggage and enjoy our day.

Just an aside. Does anyone else find it strange that folks look forward (for months) to going on a cruise, and then cannot wait to be among the first off the ship so they can sit around an ugly airport for many hours?

No. Not strange at all. It makes a lot of sense, actually.

Hank

I can relate to those who rush off the ship due to travel-day anxiousness. But normally I'm already missing the ship that last morning, and will be among the late stragglers. One time our bags had been moved to a special area because we were about the last ones into the cruise terminal at disembarkation - it didn't take a real long time to get help and get the bags, but I'd keep it in mind if there's a flight to catch.

Hank

Pretty much the same here for disembarkation though Mrs. K and I do have a disconnect on what time to board on embarkation day. She is not a morning person but has to get up at 5 AM for work some 45 weeks a year. Guess what she really doesn't like to do while on vacation? Me, on the other hand, I would be at the terminal watching the ship dock on embarkation morning if I could. :) A fellow CC'er and I put together a group cruise several years ago and because of the number of couples/people we decided on using cruise line transfers from the hotel to the terminal. Just happened the line was using the same hotel and had a rep there the day before so he and I stopped by to check transfer times. She asked us how early would we like to go to the ship. Without hesitation we both said we'd ride out on the pilot boat. :D

Pretty much the same here for disembarkation though Mrs. K and I do have a disconnect on what time to board on embarkation day. She is not a morning person but has to get up at 5 AM for work some 45 weeks a year. Guess what she really doesn't like to do while on vacation? Me, on the other hand, I would be at the terminal watching the ship dock on embarkation morning if I could. :) A fellow CC'er and I put together a group cruise several years ago and because of the number of couples/people we decided on using cruise line transfers from the hotel to the terminal. Just happened the line was using the same hotel and had a rep there the day before so he and I stopped by to check transfer times. She asked us how early would we like to go to the ship. Without hesitation we both said we'd ride out on the pilot boat. :D

Pilot boat! Too funny. And for the record, we like to be at the port early, but 11am is plenty early for moi :).

Hank

Hi

I wonder how these folks who wait until the last moment feel the same way if they are waiting to board the ship but are waiting for ship to clear. I am sure they will be first to complain when they have to wait hours. they are not on board at 11:30, 12.00. They will be the first to post and complain about Hal making them wait

Mary