Allure-PASSPORT ON SHORETRIP

Some ports usually ask for photo id along with the seapass to get back onto the ship, as for passports, we leave them in the safe but I do take a picture of them and email it to myself just in case anything happens and I need the details on it.

Years ago, we were informed by the ships personnel that Jamaican officials were requiring all passengers to carry their passports on shore. Every passenger returning to the ship was required to present their passports to Jamaican officials and every bag was searched. I have been cruising since the 80s and that was the only time that has happened.

We once did a ship excursion from St. Thomas that went to another island (Tortola), and we had to take our passports to get into Tortola and back into St. Thomas. But they clearly let us know ahead of time that we needed the passports.

Personally, I take my passport with me when visiting ports "just in case of emergency". I don't expect it, but if something happened where I could not return via the ship, having my actual passport would save me a lot of time and effort.

Some ports usually ask for photo id along with the seapass to get back onto the ship, as for passports, we leave them in the safe but I do take a picture of them and email it to myself just in case anything happens and I need the details on it.

That's a great idea!:)

If everything goes well, a passport is not required in most locales, but as others have noted, there can be ports/countries that will insist upon it.

The problem arises when things don't go well and you find yourself left behind in a foreign country with no passport. Making your way to the next port of call to catch up with your ship, or even flying home, will be much more complex without your passport or other recognized international travel document.

We would never enter a foreign country without passports or, for the US, our NEXUS cards.

We cruised out of Barcelona last year with stops in Italy it is required by law to have an official government id on you at all times! A drivers license is NOT what they consider a government id as it is issued by the state.

We did take ours off in ports while in the Mediterranean to be safe, but guard them with your life!

But then you have to carry your mobile or whatever device to show the e mail ?

We just completed a TA on Serenade and this is the 7th cruise in which we've had to surrender our passports at check in. On this cruise, we did not receive them back until we had completed all of our port days in the EU. Copies on my phone and driver's license were the only ID we had.

Sherri:)

When you take a photo with your cell phone you don´t need to email it to yourself ;)!

steamboats

No, but its a good practice when in a foregin country to have international credentials on your for when all the 1000 things you cant think of happen. I have travelled the world with the Army, and when I am not on US Soil, I have my passport on me.