Best time for Dining when you have kids?

hollykimalan

We have been given the early sitting for Dinner as we were encouraged to do so as they 'do stuff with the the kids' on the early sitting. We have Concierge Lounge access and have realised that having the early sitting sort of restricts our use of the lounge and er...the complimentary drinks.

Our kids will be 9, 10 and 11 when we cruise. Has anyone an opinion?

Should we consider moving the dining to later?

If you have early dinner, you can also sign up for My Familly Time Dining where the Adventure Ocean people will come and pick up the kids around 45 minutes after dinner starts. This gives you some time to finish dinner on your own, if you like. Or you can head to the CL after dinner while the kids are still in AO. It will be much easier to get a seat in the CL after early dinner.

Edited by clarea

When do you/they eat at home, no different

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. My question is not about our circadian rhythm and how or when we normally feel comfortable eating. Though, why I would want to deconstruct that in a public forum escapes me.

My question is more related to the relative merits of how better our kids will be better catered for with the early sitting and the loss of benefit of using the Concierge Lounge. We have not sailed with RCCL before.

Clarea, do they actually do anything with kids during the early sitting? We actually like having the kids with us. I know on Disney the kids start their meal with you but get whisked off to Kids Club while you enjoy the last half hour of the meal. This worked well for us....

Clarea, do they actually do anything with kids during the early sitting? We actually like having the kids with us. I know on Disney the kids start their meal with you but get whisked off to Kids Club while you enjoy the last half hour of the meal. This worked well for us....

It's similar on Royal, you spend the first 45 minutes with the kids, and then they go to AO. I don't actually know what happens in AO, but from what I've read, they have structured activities. Maybe someone who has used AO can pipe in here and explain what happens when the kids are whisked away after they finish dinner.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. My question is not about our circadian rhythm and how or when we normally feel comfortable eating. Though, why I would want to deconstruct that in a public forum escapes me.

My question is more related to the relative merits of how better our kids will be better catered for with the early sitting and the loss of benefit of using the Concierge Lounge. We have not sailed with RCCL before.

Same answer

It's similar on Royal, you spend the first 45 minutes with the kids, and then they go to AO. I don't actually know what happens in AO, but from what I've read, they have structured activities. Maybe someone who has used AO can pipe in here and explain what happens when the kids are whisked away after they finish dinner.

Thanks for this. When does the CL close for the evening?

We just got off of Jewel of The Seas. We had early dining at 5:30. We were able to use the lounge from 5-5:30...go to dinner and then return when we were done apx. 7pm or so. It was open until 8:30 at night. We had no problem finding time to use the benefit. Windjammer is also much quieter in the evening

And is nowhere near the chaos of breakfast and lunch.

We just got off of Jewel of The Seas. We had early dining at 5:30. We were able to use the lounge from 5-5:30...go to dinner and then return when we were done apx. 7pm or so. It was open until 8:30 at night. We had no problem finding time to use the benefit. Windjammer is also much quieter in the evening

And is nowhere near the chaos of breakfast and lunch.

Thank you, this sounds just about right. I am guessing the timings are similar on the Explorer of the Seas. I don't think I am a cheap skate but this cruise is costing me over $1000 (USD) per day and I fancy making the most of things!

For the younger kids, the benefit of having the kids club "whisk" them away is really nice. The kids meals come out early, usually when the adult appetizers do. The dining room is typically slower service and my kids just found it to get boring after 45 minutes anyway.

Our kids had "theme" nights in the club after they left the dining room. For example, one evening they did a pirate theme and the kids did crafts, games and dressed up. Later in the evening the kids did a pirate parade down the promenade.

Hope this is a helpful example.

There is zero difference as to how the kids will be treated whether you have early, late or my time dining.

The CL serves from 30 minutes before early seating through the start of late seating. There is zero loss of benefit unless you want to cram your entire day's worth of drinking into 3 hours. Nothing prevents you from going back to the CL for an after dinner drink

With my family time dining(early seating only) the kids get their food faster and then are removed to the kids clubs so the adults can enjoy dessert and coffee alone.

The kids will get their meals sooner in any sitting ... You just get the option of them being taken away with the first sitting.

If it was me - and I have two kids - I'd stick with the early sitting. Head to the CL for a drink at 5. Take one with you to dinner at 5.30. Have the kids whisked away at 6.15. Then finish your meal and head back to the CL until closing time.

In December on the Oasis we first had early dining but changed to late dining with our 4 year old after she refused to go to the kids club the entire cruise. They had a fruit cup every dinner waiting for her when we arrived and the Head Waiter paid so much attention to our table. He brought her cupcakes or chocolate every night also. It was the only cruise that I have been on that we have seen the Head Waiter so much.

I would highly recommed doing My Time Dining. It give you so much more flexibility than the traditional dining times. If however you choose to do the traditional route, I would also recommed doing the early seating. While your kids are not that young they will likely be happier with eatier earlier and then doing AO after dinner if that's their thing.

We never did the My Family Time dining...but that may work as long as your kids actually want to go to AO.

I don't think it will matter what kind of service you get for your kids if you go early or late. They are the same servers and almost all of them enjoy the kids and go above and beyond to make them happy. You will love RCCL and how they treat your kiddos.

We've always had the early seating when traveling with our son, now age 12, because AO activities start before the second seating. On most cruises, AO has dinner for the kids on formal night. You have to sign up during the day and mark down a choice for the entree.

While I understand wanted to use the Lounge, the second seating is awfully late for a kid to wait for dinner. The one time my wife and I had the late seating, we didn't have our son along. Yet, waiting until 8:30 was hard for us.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, where everyone knows your kids better than you do.

You have several options:

1) Stay with early seating so that your kids can enjoy all of their activities, but you can't.

2) Switch to late seating so you can enjoy all of the adult activities, but your children can't.

3) Switch to my time dining and eat at 7pm, there by splitting the difference.

4) Switch to my time dining and some days eat early and some days eat late.

5) Switch to late seating, but take the kids to eat at the buffet early which will allow the kids to enjoy their activities and you to enjoy your activities.

However, since I am not one who knows your kids better than you do, I'll leave it to you to decide which is the best option.

If all else fails, you can do what some animal parents do - eat the kids. :eek:

They don't "do anything" with the kids at early seating. Yes, you have the option to have your kids taken up to Adventure Ocean while you finish your dinner, but that's the sum total of the special kid things at early seating.

We've never taken advantage of that - my kids generally want to stop back at the cabin to change out of their dinner clothes and into shorts and t shirts before heading to AO (esp on formal nights).

If your kids do want to go to AO, I would recommend early seating though - the timing works much better with the evening activity schedule.

Do they really miss out that much at the kids club if they don't get there until, say 8-9? Our my-time dining and specialty restaurant reservations are all over the map depending on entertainment bookings and whether we are in port that day, but no day do we have bookings before 6pm.

Do they miss out on enough that it's worth scheduling for earlier most or many nights?