Currently on Eclipse Luninae service restricted

Gordoncruickshank

OP I do sympathize with you. My husband is diabetic. It's well under control while he keeps to his schedule. We plan before each vacation when necessary. If we're at Disney, we make our dinner reservations beforehand, so we know where and what time. He eats breakfast every day at the same time. If it's very late for some reason, it can throw off a whole day. Different foods and shore excursions do that too!

Our last cruise, mobility was an issue. So while there are plenty of alternatives, we took advantage of the the mdr and being served to give his hip, a break. Pun intended. Just had the hip replacement in September. Cannot wait for our December cruise.

I hope things get worked out. I'm disappointed hearing that SS United States is changing to the Tuscan Grille during dry dock. I had planned to use my OBC there on at least three nights. Nothing on the Tuscan menu interests me. I'll find something to spend that credit on :-)

Happy Sailing.

Were you on Reflection? Let's remember all of the Aqua Suites that turned into Sky Suites. That's a lot more passengers to fill up Luminae for breakfast or BLU if they keep up the brunch nonsense.

Bottom line, we were told by the CEO 3 meals and they shouid not change it. Especially since it has been only a few months since they reinstated what they had already promised.

Luminae on Reflection is large and there were never many people there during the day. Most of them come for dinner.

Luminae on Reflection is large and there were never many people there during the day. Most of them come for dinner.

Reminds me of the Bistro on Five -- every time I walk by the place, it's completely empty.

Were you on Reflection? Let's remember all of the Aqua Suites that turned into Sky Suites. That's a lot more passengers to fill up Luminae for breakfast or BLU if they keep up the brunch nonsense.

Bottom line, we were told by the CEO 3 meals and they shouid not change it. Especially since it has been only a few months since they reinstated what they had already promised.

Yes, we were on the Reflection. ;) Just because there are many Suites, does not mean that everyone in those Suites is eating in one venue.

Again, not trying to argue with what is right and wrong, but Celebrity does (and will) have a right to change what they offer.

Again, not trying to argue with what is right and wrong, but Celebrity does (and will) have a right to change what they offer.

Both Common Sense and even the least amount of marketing sense would suggest telling folks BEFORE they experience the change.....and making sure that the web site, which most assume is correct, accurately reflects the experience one should expect.

Don't confuse legaleze and small print with marketing and customer satisfaction.

Realistically, how many people would show up for early breakfast while in a suite when they have butler service, Blu and the buffet? How many people would show up for lunch on a port day? The brunch covers late risers for breakfast and also lunch. Does it seem reasonable, considering that there are not that many suites, to keep a dining room open if only a couple of people will show up?

I'm sure the itinerary also has a lot to do with what the schedule is.

We book suites and I think a little common sense and understanding might be in order.

Agree completely....on the few occasions when we had breakfast, lunch and/or brunch in Luminae there were NEVER more than 3-4 tables occupied......seems foolish to be open for that small a traffic flow....

I think everyone should remember that this was an entirely NEW concept for Celebrity and was bound to have adjustments/changes once implemented. The dinners are WONDERFUL, I think the current schedule of breakfast on port days and brunch other days is perfectly acceptable. The problem is that they have NOT informed the general public that this may be the case.....so THAT does needs to be corrected.

Agree completely....on the few occasions when we had breakfast, lunch and/or brunch in Luminae there were NEVER more than 3-4 tables occupied......seems foolish to be open for that small a traffic flow....

I think everyone should remember that this was an entirely NEW concept for Celebrity and was bound to have adjustments/changes once implemented. The dinners are WONDERFUL, I think the current schedule of breakfast on port days and brunch other days is perfectly acceptable. The problem is that they have NOT informed the general public that this may be the case.....so THAT does needs to be corrected.

It would have been very easy for the CEO to respond to the BLD issue in Luminae in a more general manner, BUT she did not. She clearly stated that three meals a day would be served. She did not caveat it with---but over the next few months we will be looking at partonage and may change back to two meals. She had every oppotunity to water down her response. She was clear in stating there would be three meals going forward. She should be clear again if they are going to chage it to anything less than three meals.

The problem is Celebrity is promising one product and producing another. Whilst I have no issues as a suite guest breakfasting in Blu (although Aqua guests may, I fully understand, have an issue with this) I would just like to know on my next cruises what to expect.

I totally sympathise with the original OP who has booked one thing, after numerous posts, discussions.....boarded and not received what he expected. If the breakfast, lunch in Luminae has not worked then, Celebrity, tell us! Tell us you are swapping fleet wide or on specific itineraries and then we, the customers, can decide to book or not to book....

Not hard, good communication.

It would have been very easy for the CEO to respond to the BLD issue in Luminae in a more general manner, BUT she did not. She clearly stated that three meals a day would be served. She did not caveat it with---but over the next few months we will be looking at partonage and may change back to two meals. She had every oppotunity to water down her response. She was clear in stating there would be three meals going forward. She should be clear again if they are going to chage it to anything less than three meals.

And that is what I just said, that they should inform the public if there is going to be a change based on itinerary for schedules.

After all, doesn't it seem foolish to open a venue at 7AM on an eastbound TA when the time has been moved forward 6 different times.....believe me there aren't that many people stirring around that early in that scenario.....

I think the word is "flexible" and I think X should state there may be "flexibility" in their scheduling and I think WE the consumer should be flexible to that flexibility.....just my opinion of course, which counts for nothing, as it is ALL in Celebrity's hands anyway....

Realistically, how many people would show up for early breakfast while in a suite when they have butler service, Blu and the buffet? How many people would show up for lunch on a port day? The brunch covers late risers for breakfast and also lunch. Does it seem reasonable, considering that there are not that many suites, to keep a dining room open if only a couple of people will show up?

I'm sure the itinerary also has a lot to do with what the schedule is.

We book suites and I think a little common sense and understanding might be in order.

Spot on.

Phil

Spot on.

Phil

Why would I want to eat in BLU or buffet if I can eat in Luminae? BLU has been subpar and chaotic the past few times we sailed on X. I prefer NOT to eat in the buffet, which is why I booked a suite. I want to eat in Luminae. Also, there are more people than you think that stay on the ship when in port. I am one of those passengers. On carribean cruises where some ports are less than desirable, I prefer staying in the quiet less crowded ship to relax. I would also like to have the option of eating breakfast and lunch while I am on the ship. What's good for one is not good for all.

As we are not early risers, I am THRILLED to see Luminea offering a brunch on sea days when we have no reason to rise early. Having to be done with breakfast by 9 AM was a definite downside to us. I agree with the comments that, anyone not happy with brunch, can always go to BLU. And the thing that puzzles me the most is everyone complaining has a suite with a butler. Work out the schedule with the butler the first day and, if you are not happy going to another restaurant early in the morning, have your butler bring breakfast to your room on sea days. I understand the room service menu in suites is special, anyway, and you get it served on a table, not dropped as though you were in a regular cabin.

I'm on CC every day but this is one of the things that annoys me... long pointless discussions of people complaining that the cruise line (whichever one I'm following) is not delivering, for whatever reason, exactly what they feel they were promised. For goodness sake, these are people (myself included) who can afford a suite, have a butler and access to an alternate specialty restaurant and are threatening to cancel their cruise because Luminea isn't serving breakfast early enough on a couple of days. There are worse things that can happen on a cruise. Missed ports. Noro. Storms. The mantra we have for any vacation is, "Live with it. Don't let minor inconveniences ruin it for you.".

As we are not early risers, I am THRILLED to see Luminea offering a brunch on sea days when we have no reason to rise early. Having to be done with breakfast by 9 AM was a definite downside to us. I agree with the comments that, anyone not happy with brunch, can always go to BLU. And the thing that puzzles me the most is everyone complaining has a suite with a butler. Work out the schedule with the butler the first day and, if you are not happy going to another restaurant early in the morning, have your butler bring breakfast to your room on sea days. I understand the room service menu in suites is special, anyway, and you get it served on a table, not dropped as though you were in a regular cabin.

I'm on CC every day but this is one of the things that annoys me... long pointless discussions of people complaining that the cruise line (whichever one I'm following) is not delivering, for whatever reason, exactly what they feel they were promised. For goodness sake, these are people (myself included) who can afford a suite, have a butler and access to an alternate specialty restaurant and are threatening to cancel their cruise because Luminea isn't serving breakfast early enough on a couple of days. There are worse things that can happen on a cruise. Missed ports. Noro. Storms. The mantra we have for any vacation is, "Live with it. Don't let minor inconveniences ruin it for you.".

Thank you......SO well said.... don't sweat the small stuff....

As I suggested, if the butler can offer and serve me exactly what comes out of Luminae from their breakfast menu, that should be fine. I would like the upgraded pastries and other food selections that are not available elswhere to the degree prepared by the Luminae kitchen. Do this and I will shut up.

Actually, I have a solve for brunch days, place the full luminae breakfast menu in my suite the night before. I will let you know what I want and the butler can serve me in my room the next morning. The food should come from Luminae kitchen and not general room service kitchen. If you gave me that, I could be happy.

I think this would be a suitable compromise if Celebrity is going to continue with the 10:00am brunch opening time. I generally prefer to have breakfast well before 10:00am and having the Luminae breakfast menu made available through the Butler and served en suite would be a fair compromise IMO. While I think Celebrity operates a very good Oceanview Cafe product, it's far from quiet and intimate, which is something I'd be expecting when paying a premium to sail in a Suite based on how Celebrity currently markets the Suite experience and Luminae, etc.

My DW likes the breakfast brought to our cabin about 9am. She especially likes the smoothie and Mimosa I bring her from the Elite breakfast. The host there was more than willing to let me take things to my wife in the cabin from the breakfast. He teased her about getting up later as I was always there when breakfast began.

Celebrity is really really good about bringing you all sorts of things in ALL types of cabins. Just write it in - smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel - done, along with almost anything you desire. We let our cabin steward know our special desires along with a small tip and voila! It arrives

I'm really torn on this. On one side, we have plenty of reasonable options for breakfast such as Blu and room service and the Brunch menu does have quite a few lunch selections and is almost available until a reasonable hour. On the other side, Celebrity has promised one thing, and not delivery. While this is less of a problem for RS, PH who can eat in a number of restaurants for lunch or breakfast (Bistro on 5, Porch), there is the fact that most suites don't have a proper place to eat when at sea due to wind and weather. Sky suites and Celebrity Suites on S-Class don't have a dining room table or chairs to sit and eat a proper meal, so not having Luminae, even if they offered a better room service menu for suites, doesn't really provide what is offered.

That being said, we're usually happy to have something delivered early with our coffee and then do brunch, but there are times when this doesn't work. Luminae was an upgrarade. I think they could find a balance and offer brunch no more than two or three times a week, regardless of the number of sea / port days.

We have a cruise coming up with 9 sea days out of 15 days and while I'm sure we'll manage, we'll get pretty tired of brunch if it is offered on all 9 days.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I think we can all admit that this is a "weasel words" definition of "breakfast and lunch". I expect that kind of shadiness from NCL.

The ironic thing is that it is often the more expensive hotels on land that on weekends offer brunch, instead of separate breakfast and lunch, usually commencing at a later start time then during the week. So it is a bit more then weasel words as you put it. So the use of the terms and the practice is not unusual in the travel industry.

Now my original comment was in response to the description the Celebrity was "in Breech" which has very specific legal meaning and was indicating that technically they would not be considered in breech.

Edited by RDC1

Those hotels don't have other places to get breakfast either, Celebrity does.

Most international hotels offer 5 meal services in their "suite" level lounges and most do have multiple places to dine, especially in Cities, or are a short walk to hundreds. Not so on a cruise ship at sea.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Most international hotels offer 5 meal services in their "suite" level lounges and most do have multiple places to dine, especially in Cities, or are a short walk to hundreds. Not so on a cruise ship at sea.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Yes, many international hotels have multiple restaurants but there is usually only one place for breakfast other than a concierge lounge which is usually a continental style breakfast. I'm sure there are exceptions but I'm sure you would agree that this is the norm.

I'm sure that you would also agree that between Blu, the MDR, the buffet, room service , the Concierge Lounge, the Elite breakfast, Bistro on five and the dreaded brunch in Luminae, there are many opportunities for breakfast.

Yes, many international hotels have multiple restaurants but there is usually only one place for breakfast other than a concierge lounge which is usually a continental style breakfast. I'm sure there are exceptions but I'm sure you would agree that this is the norm.

I'm sure that you would also agree that between Blu, the MDR, the buffet, room service , the Concierge Lounge, the Elite breakfast, Bistro on five and the dreaded brunch in Luminae, there are many opportunities for breakfast.

My experience is internationally, the lounges do a full (all be it a somewhat limited) breakfast, but much more than continental. That being said, of course I agree with everything else.

Happy sailing,

Jenna