New to Oceania ~ Have a couple of questions.

Wren3

Hello everyone, we are booked for the upcoming Caribbean cruise March 20, 2016 on the Riviera and although I have done a great deal of research in advance, I remain to have a couple of questions as follows and appreciate all the wealth of wisdom on the CC forum.

1. Can anyone provide a review of the Canyon Ranch Spa treatments and amenities when purchased? I did locate the fees schedule on CC forum and noted that the treatments are expensive. Do they have port day specials on board at the Canyon Ranch Spa?

2. Is the sauna area in the Canyon Ranch Spa complimentary to all guests or do you need to pay for this privilege?

Thank you for your help.

Hello everyone, we are booked for the upcoming Caribbean cruise March 20, 2016 on the Riviera and although I have done a great deal of research in advance, I remain to have a couple of questions as follows and appreciate all the wealth of wisdom on the CC forum.

1. Can anyone provide a review of the Canyon Ranch Spa treatments and amenities when purchased? I did locate the fees schedule on CC forum and noted that the treatments are expensive. Do they have port day specials on board at the Canyon Ranch Spa?

YES they offer specials on port days just the check the daily CURRENTS

2. Is the sauna area in the Canyon Ranch Spa complimentary to all guests or do you need to pay for this privilege? it is free to use

Thank you for your help.

Cannot comment on the spa treatments maybe someone will

Enjoy

200529.jpg

The Saunas, Steam rooms and gymnasium are free to all, as is the use of the Spa Terrace for an hour before or after a "for pay" treatment in the Spa.

170858.jpg Specials are offered at the discretion of the Spa Manager and seem to be dependent on keeping the available staff busy. Daily paper notifications will be included with Currents (the ships morning newspaper) and passengers who have expressed specific interests are occasionally contacted directly by the front desk in the Spa. The goal of the Spa team is to keep revenues up, If you have a specific requirement, speak up. ;)

002859.jpg

Prices are set, but Specials vary from voyage to voyage, with the biggest bargains to be had during port days when most passengers would normally be ashore, and on longer cruises.

During the first view days of each cruise and during ANY sea day, demand is white hot, but after the entire passenger load has cycled through the Spa, you may notice a slump in demand. It is then that the Specials cycle accelerates, and prices trend even further downward.....but not every cruise lasts that long. :(

001537.jpg

The Services themselves, such as nails, hair, massage and instruction are of a quality and length that one would find at a North American facility in a metropolitan setting. Passengers used to a less structured ambience, may find the operators impersonal.

The Staff are typically on the younger side and seem to rotate onto the ships from Canyon Ranch itself. It is somewhat unusual to find a Spa employee who has been working on the ship beyond the six month marker.

As in any Spa, employees earn bonus points based on their Sales of health and beauty products.

Hope that this helped! Enjoy your cruise, you are in for a treat!!!

Edited by StanandJim

Thank you for your responses ~ very helpful. I did not realize that the Riviera has a steam room as well as a sauna room. Looking forward to using them indeed. As for the Canyon Ranch Spa treatments, I will partake in my cruise treat of one facial ~ likely on a port day :) Thanks again.

My spa experiences on Marina and Riviera have been positive. Unlike many land-based spas I felt the sales pitch was never over zealous. The services were much like the spas I had visited on land with facials using slightly higher-end products on-board.

All of the staff were friendly and courteous. The rooms themself were spotless and the views are what make the services stand out! The windows are huge and the spa is very high on the ship.

Allow yourself plenty of time to change then relax in the serenity room before your service. The room is monochromatic and peaceful with comfy furniture and a fantastic view of the ocean.

There are also heated ceramic loungers available to help you relax and loosen-up before a message.

The specials often involve buy-one-get-one pricing. Ex. schedule massage and facial together for a reduced price.

Agree that the services in the Spa are pricey. I had a gel manicure that was $20 more than I would pay at home, but it was terrible. When I got back to the room and had a closer look, there were bubbles, smudges, and places where she had missed polish on several nails. Happily, management was great when I went back (immediately) and everything was fixed.

I also had a session with the personal trainer. He gave me 1.5 hours of training in exercises that geared toward my needs. It was well worth the money (or OBC).

If I may ask for those who have had spa facial treatments, do the staff try to upsell the cruise line products used for facials ~ reason I ask is because on other cruise lines my experience has been that they really do push this agenda with various tactics which always leaves me feeling obligated to purchase the skin care line of products although good quality, quite expensive. It appears it is a given that after a spa treatment, one will purchase the products when on other cruise lines ~ I hope Oceania is different. Thanks for any input.

If I may ask for those who have had spa facial treatments, do the staff try to upsell the cruise line products used for facials ~ reason I ask is because on other cruise lines my experience has been that they really do push this agenda with various tactics which always leaves me feeling obligated to purchase the skin care line of products although good quality, quite expensive. It appears it is a given that after a spa treatment, one will purchase the products when on other cruise lines ~ I hope Oceania is different. Thanks for any input.

I believe you have one answer already, even before you asked it. They must be psychic.

My spa experiences on Marina and Riviera have been positive. Unlike many land-based spas I felt the sales pitch was never over zealous. The services were much like the spas I had visited on land with facials using slightly higher-end products on-board.

All of the staff were friendly and courteous. The rooms themself were spotless and the views are what make the services stand out! The windows are huge and the spa is very high on the ship.

Allow yourself plenty of time to change then relax in the serenity room before your service. The room is monochromatic and peaceful with comfy furniture and a fantastic view of the ocean.

There are also heated ceramic loungers available to help you relax and loosen-up before a message.

The specials often involve buy-one-get-one pricing. Ex. schedule massage and facial together for a reduced price.

Its very simple to take care of that..when someone tries to up sell me I simple say, I am here to relax, I would appreciate it if we could have quiet..that always stops any sales pitch which I resent when I am paying money for a treatment..

Jancruz1

Its very simple to take care of that..when someone tries to up sell me I simple say, I am here to relax, I would appreciate it if we could have quiet..that always stops any sales pitch which I resent when I am paying money for a treatment..

Jancruz1

I do the same, but do so prior to when the treatment starts. I let them know that I am not interested in a sales pitch as I am there to relax and enjoy the treatment that I am paying for. I won't tolerate it, period.