Lounge Chair Etiquette

kevingastreich

just passing you a new whip.

Yours must be getting worn out from beating that dead horse.

Might be time to bury him? and let him RIP?

Trouble is he gets bored so has to get his big stirring spoon out.

You know what they say about 'ignore and he might go away' somehow I don't think that would work in this case :):D

So, you're going to call in the cops (which ones, I might ask?) because your paperback book is "missing"?

What color is the sky in your world?

Well the ship have a little team called security, so I guess that's who I'd call, and what if there was more than just a paperback book,matter all that's what was being talked about.

And today it's lovely and blue thanks.

Man--I just had to put my beloved mare down (really--she couldn't be saved) I HATE THAT SMUG SAYING.

Why not drown kittens or shoot dogs? Has anyone ever actually had a dead horse? Do you have any idea what's involved?

Sorry about your mare, and drowning kittens is just cruel.

Good for you. The sad reality is that there are many dishonest people in the world. It doesn't matter if you come from a tiny town where you are safe. Real life is not like that for most of the world. If you want to leave valuables out please do not cry about it being stolen. It's not 1940. It appears you just want to argue no matter what the subject. I have better things to do.

Yep blame the victim if you take their things.

Man--I just had to put my beloved mare down (really--she couldn't be saved) I HATE THAT SMUG SAYING.

Why not drown kittens or shoot dogs? Has anyone ever actually had a dead horse? Do you have any idea what's involved?

Oh I am sorry to hear about your mare.

It is an expression.

I work with the SPCA - I don't drown kittens or shoot dogs or kill horses - we rescue them.

It is an expression and there was no harm intended.

So, you're going to call in the cops (which ones, I might ask?) because your paperback book is "missing"?

What color is the sky in your world?

Ok, let's pretend it's an out-of-print mystery and you are down to the last 20 pages and about to find out "who done it" and it disappears... the definition of criminal changes. Just sayin'.

BTW and off topic, color of sky is probably DH's favorite comment. Cheers.

Edited by PatsyAnne

Well the ship have a little team called security, so I guess that's who I'd call, and what if there was more than just a paperback book,matter all that's what was being talked about.

And today it's lovely and blue thanks.

good luck with that one.

we lost a camera on board in the Oak Room (not the Lido) and meanwhile an Ipad was left at the Lido pool and turned in (glad for them).

Security will not search rooms, inquire of people. They rely on honesty. If the person isn't honest, it doesn't come back.

I'm talking from experience.

Well actually it doesn't or I could just take your car intending to leave it at the airport and it wouldn't be theft at all.

It does, at least in the US. That might not necessarily apply at sea, but the intent to deprive PERMANENTLY is indeed part of the definition of criminal theft.

in this definition lie two key elements:

1) a taking of someone else's property; and

2) the requisite intent to deprive the victim of the property permanently.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/theft-overview.html

There's also civil theft, but since a criminal offence was what was mentioned....

Trouble is he gets bored so has to get his big stirring spoon out.

You know what they say about 'ignore and he might go away' somehow I don't think that would work in this case :):D

yeah talk about the herpes of Cruise Critic.. it just won't go away!

8000+ posts (mostly useless arguing) in just over a year of membership... Must be nice to have all that free time to do nothing but troll message forums where most people are just trying to get legit information or share it with other cruisers in a helpful manner.

Does anyone know how to actually ignore someone so you dont have to read what they write? Genuinely curious and thankful to anyone with some answers.

PS I love lounge chairs especially on cruise ships. (gotta keep this message on topic)

8000+ posts (mostly useless arguing) in just over a year of membership... Must be nice to have all that free time to do nothing but troll message forums where most people are just trying to get legit information or share it with other cruisers in a helpful manner.

Does anyone know how to actually ignore someone so you dont have to read what they write? Genuinely curious and thankful to anyone with some answers.

PS I love lounge chairs especially on cruise ships. (gotta keep this message on topic)

I've already added that particular troll to my ignore list. Here's how to do it:

Dealing with Troublesome Users Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, click on their name and choose: User List, Add to Ignore List

----------------------------------------------------------------

When you get to the part that says "click on their name....." it means that you just start to enter the first few alpha characters of his/her name. It will then present you with a list of usernames and you click on the one you wish to ignore. When you're done, don't forget to click on the "Save Changes" button.

Edited by Av8rix

I've already added that particular troll to my ignore list. Here's how to do it:

Dealing with Troublesome Users Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, click on their name and choose: User List, Add to Ignore List

When you get to the part that says "click on their name....." it means that you just start to enter the first few alpha characters of his/her name. It will then present you with a list of usernames and you click on the one you wish to ignore. When you're done, don't forget to click on the "Save Changes" button.

Thank you for that. :)

You have made my day. I've been wondering how to put someone on my ignore list. Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your problem wi Herpes.

You have made my day. I've been wondering how to put someone on my ignore list. Thank you!

The only problem is, when someone quotes a post by that person, you will see it unless you have the "quoter" blocked too!:D However, in the case of someone who is a prolific poster, at least you have blocked the majority of them.:cool:

... how about getting back to the Thread topic?

In the other Thread on this subject ("Speaking of Chair Hogs"), a poster blamed the problem on a scarcity of public spaces and chairs, to which I responded:

"Great post - I particularly like the highlighted portion. IMO you are spot on in your analysis of the public space issue. Your comment also illustrates how HAL's attempts to balance its need to maximize revenue with its desire to accommodate the (sometimes unreasonable) demands of its customers can have unintended consequences.

Specifically I am referring to the Private Cabana areas that HAL created for passengers wanting an exclusive area in which to lounge. To meet the demand for private lounge areas, HAL converted public spaces into revenue centers. Judging by the comments in other CC Threads, many loyal HAL cruisers are not pleased by HAL's actions, going so far as to refer to the Cabana areas as "Tent City". Regardless of how a person feels about the Cabanas, it cannot be gainsaid that they have added to the public space scarcity ... and maybe to the incivility, bad manners, discourteous behavior, boorishness, etc. memorialized on this Thread.

JMO"

Again, JMO!!!

... how about getting back to the Thread topic?

In the other Thread on this subject ("Speaking of Chair Hogs"), a poster blamed the problem on a scarcity of public spaces and chairs, to which I responded:

"Great post - I particularly like the highlighted portion. IMO you are spot on in your analysis of the public space issue. Your comment also illustrates how HAL's attempts to balance its need to maximize revenue with its desire to accommodate the (sometimes unreasonable) demands of its customers can have unintended consequences.

Specifically I am referring to the Private Cabana areas that HAL created for passengers wanting an exclusive area in which to lounge. To meet the demand for private lounge areas, HAL converted public spaces into revenue centers. Judging by the comments in other CC Threads, many loyal HAL cruisers are not pleased by HAL's actions, going so far as to refer to the Cabana areas as "Tent City". Regardless of how a person feels about the Cabanas, it cannot be gainsaid that they have added to the public space scarcity ... and maybe to the incivility, bad manners, discourteous behavior, boorishness, etc. memorialized on this Thread.

JMO"

Again, JMO!!!

I haven't sailed on a ship with cabanas, but from the photos I've seen, they appear to take up a lot of space for relatively few people. And anytime a ship does that, it squeezes the rest of the passengers into less space. Although it isn't an exclusive space, the Retreat (or whatever they call it now) on Veendam also reduced the number of available deck chairs. That didn't turn deck space into revenue space the way the cabanas do, but it was part of a revenue increase because of the additional cabins that are under it.

I have no desire to rent a tent on a ship. I might rent a deck chair if that was offered instead of the cabanas. As cruise lines (and not just HAL) put more people onto ships without increasing public space, my solution is to take a balcony cabin so that I know I'll have somewhere to sit outdoors and watch the sea go by.