buffet closed from 8 pm - 11 pm on all HAL ships?

amoba

I rarely go to the MDR for breakfast or lunch, but what possible use is it to request your cabin number???

One thing it does is help a stored bottle of wine "find" your table. Another is for people who have pre-ordered special meals. When the little slip comes up, I think there's a notation of anything outside oft the usual menu. It's a more discrete way of dealing with dietary issues so the person doesn't have to tell the waiter (in front of everyone) "I Ordered a diabetic/celiac/allergy/etc meal."

About five years ago, we had open seating on the first night. A woman at our table hadn't cruised a lot and was newly diagnosed with celiac. She asked the waiter a lot of questions about that night's menu, and he sent a manager over. The manager helped her with that night's menu, then took her name and cabin number and gave her a special-order menu so she could pre-order. Because it was all so new, she was very nervous about her special meal finding her in open dining. The manager said "dont' worry, it will find you." (I didn't see her again, but I have faith that it did.)

I rarely go to the MDR for breakfast or lunch, but what possible use is it to request your cabin number???

I have no idea. It's not a big deal for me because it's no secret. Perhaps you can ask them next time. I do not work for Hal.

I asked once. I was told it had to do with the post-cruise survey. If you reported great or terrible MDR service, they could track when you ate and who your servers were.

Edited by Aquahound

I agree with sherilyn 70 that HAL has gaps when compared to other cruise lines. That's one of the advantages that RCI offers over HAL. Not that we need any extra food, but it's nice to have choices when walking about the ship and one just wants to stop and get a bite to eat. Not all of us eat a big dinner in the evening in the MDR so having choices in the evening hours that is not room service is a plus in my book.

What's the rub w the hours? Hit the buffet before the early show and then the MDR after the show, all the calories/nom-noms you can want.

And with regard to the time, most everything sorta shuts down/slows down on an HAL ship after 8.30. The teak decks are rolled up at 10.

C'mon, we've all been on 'em and know that as true.

If late night eating was a big part of my cruise experience I think there are much better choices than Hal. I took my first Hal cruise in 1984 and they shut down food early at that time iirc. My guess is that they are not about to change. I'd rather them keep room service intact then have them put on a 24 hour spread. There are so many cruise lines that offer that choice and room service suffers for it. That said I don't do room service a ton. I really tire about the constant comments about Hal closing the ship down at ten. Why cruise with them if this is not to your liking?

Edited by cruz chic

If late night eating was a big part of my cruise experience I think there are much better choices than Hal. I took my first Hal cruise in 1984 and they shut down food early at that time iirc. My guess is that they are not about to change. I'd rather them keep room service intact then have them put on a 24 hour spread. There are so many cruise lines that offer that choice and room service suffers for it. That said I don't do room service a ton. I really tire about the constant comments about Hal closing the ship down at ten. Why cruise with them if this is not to your liking?

I'm not sure it's always a complaint. I don't really care when they roll up the decks, as we stay on a very early schedule when we cruise, especially if it's port intensive. If I'm waking up before 7 AM, I'm not gonna be in the bar at midnight.

What's the rub w the hours? Hit the buffet before the early show and then the MDR after the show, all the calories/nom-noms you can want.

And with regard to the time, most everything sorta shuts down/slows down on an HAL ship after 8.30. The teak decks are rolled up at 10.

C'mon, we've all been on 'em and know that as true.

Can't do the MDR after the early show. I can't sleep after a big meal. I just want a @#$%^&*^%$#*&^$$*& COOKIE! :D

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The Dive In was open 11:30-5:00 most every day. The exception was embarkation day, when it closed for the safety drill. It's on the Lido Deck, but not inside the Lido. I wouldn't consider it to be part of the Lido. It is listed separately in the daily program, and it keeps its own hours.

Thank you!

On the Eeurdam in July the Lido was open from 17:30 to 20:30 each night. Here are the opening hours.

Am I missing something on that attachment? It's hard to see but it looks like it says dinner closed at 8:30 and late night snacks opened at 10:30, meaning it was closed for 2 hours. :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

I don't usually mind the HAL dining hours but one evening we were out late dancing in the disco and it had been many hours since dinner and a bit too much to drink. My sister in law and I were at the bar talking about being hungry and not wanting to have to go back to the cabin to get room service. Next thing we knew a bar waiter appeared with 2 turkey sandwiches. He became our new best friend. :)

Am I missing something on that attachment? It's hard to see but it looks like it says dinner closed at 8:30 and late night snacks opened at 10:30, meaning it was closed for 2 hours. :confused:

yup, you can starve on a cruise ship - no question :p:rolleyes::D

I don't usually mind the HAL dining hours but one evening we were out late dancing in the disco and it had been many hours since dinner and a bit too much to drink. My sister in law and I were at the bar talking about being hungry and not wanting to have to go back to the cabin to get room service. Next thing we knew a bar waiter appeared with 2 turkey sandwiches. He became our new best friend.

how nice :) that has happened to cruise mates of ours too.

I think a smile and appreciation go a long way.

I've seen many a munchie or food brought in the Crow's Nest late at night as soon as someone said they needed to absorb the alcohol.

Pretty hard to go hungry on a cruise ship :)

Edited by kazu

There was a time, back when the lounges stayed open until at least 1:00 AM, that the bar stewards would come around with a tray of sandwiches every evening some time after midnight.

It was SOP.

But now the lounges close down so early, and the entertainers quit in plenty of time to get to the "midnight" :rolleyes: buffet, so the practice has come to an end.

While it's true it's hard to go hungry on a cruise, I must admit I would love something like RCI has with the Cafe Promenade, which is open 24 hours, and has tasty and healthy snacks, good coffee and teas, and is a pleasant facility.

Princess's International Café is also open 24 hours and has a great variety of snacks, salads, sandwiches, and desserts (including cookies!). It's one of the things we miss when on HAL.

Several times on a HAL cruise, we have arrived back from a shore excursion in the afternoon and have had trouble finding something to eat--the Lido's lunch hours aren't great, the MDR certainly isn't open mid-afternoon, and not everyone wants Mexican food or a burger at 3 p.m.

The point isn't that people are starving (I know that wasn't your comment, Lizzie68), it's that people would like more options. And other cruise lines provide them.

Princess's International Café is also open 24 hours and has a great variety of snacks, salads, sandwiches, and desserts (including cookies!). It's one of the things we miss when on HAL.

Several times on a HAL cruise, we have arrived back from a shore excursion in the afternoon and have had trouble finding something to eat--the Lido's lunch hours aren't great, the MDR certainly isn't open mid-afternoon, and not everyone wants Mexican food or a burger at 3 p.m.

The point isn't that people are starving (I know that wasn't your comment, Lizzie68), it's that people would like more options. And other cruise lines provide them.

no, it was my comment. I will take full credit or blame for it (depending upon your point of view).

I agree not everyone wants Mexican or a hamburger..

mid afternoon, there are salads and the sandwich bar in the Lido if you are craving lunch. Cheeses, fruit, crackers, etc. Pizza and a couple of other things and cookies abound too.

On our last cruise the Lido Bistro was open until 3 pm and the Deli until 5 pm.

Or the Explorations Lounge if you just want a light pastry.

I won't get into the other options as I think everyone knows them.

We tend to sample the local cuisine when we are in port so we don't board completely famished, but depending on the day, yes, a bite is nice. We've always found something that more than did the trick.

every cruise line has pluses and minuses.

We just need to see which one has the most "pluses" that make your cruise enjoyable.

ie. room service for every cabin (including a hot breakfast) versus a 24 hour venue.

There are always trade offs.

Edited by kazu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The point isn't that people are starving (I know that wasn't your comment, Lizzie68), it's that people would like more options. And other cruise lines provide them. __________________

hrhdhd

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, the quote function is not working, so I had to cut and paste.

Yes I hear what you are saying. There were times when all I wanted something a little healthier than bread pudding or a dessert or hamburger - and quickly - when everything else was closed in the Lido, and those were the times I missed the Promenade Cafe where you could get something light, like a fruit plate or a croissant.

I agree with sherilyn 70 that HAL has gaps when compared to other cruise lines. That's one of the advantages that RCI offers over HAL. Not that we need any extra food, but it's nice to have choices when walking about the ship and one just wants to stop and get a bite to eat. Not all of us eat a big dinner in the evening in the MDR so having choices in the evening hours that is not room service is a plus in my book.

Though I never went there, I saw there was 24 hour service in at least two places on NCL on my recent cruise. I thought that was good for exactly the reasons many here have posted. There way more dining/eating choices on NCL than any HAL ship. And of those restaurants we dined in, we found the food good to very good.

The only time it bothers us is on formal nights when we go casual and eat in the Lido.

On those evenings the Lido hours may end at 8PM but the reality is that they start closing at 7:30 and nothing new seems to come out. One needs to be there by 7 -7:15. Not very customer friendly.

Yes, but not cookies or dessert. It's bad enough to have to pack my own Twinings, now I'm going to have to take cookies, too. Or remember to pick up my bedtime snack at lunchtime.

Cookies are available in the Lido during the day, during the dinner service, and also at the late evening buffet. I usually take a few small plastic containers with me when I travel. I grab some cookies from the Lido either when I'm in there for a meal, or just passing through, and keep them in my cabin. They taste fine even after a few days of storage. No need to bring your own cookies!

Princess = cafeteria open 24 hours; room service menu very limited

HAL = extensive room service menu, 24 hours; cafeteria closed a few hours each day.

Just one reason why we have more HAL cruises than Princess.

Princess's buffet (=cafeteria?) isn't open 24 hours, although it is open for longer hours than HAL's. The International Café (not on Lido deck, even) is open 24/7.

And I am not sure how Princess's room service menu (copied from Princess's website) is "limited" any more than HAL's with perhaps the exception of breakfast (and not everyone wants hot food at breakfast and/or to eat in their cabins):

Below are some examples of what's offered on the complimentary Room Service Menu. Please note that Coffee, Iced Tea and Milk are available 24 hours a day.

Sandwiches (served with your choice of french fries, potato chips or coleslaw).

•Club House

•Roast Beef

•Roast Turkey Breast

•Tuna Salad

•Peanut Butter & Jelly

•Vegetarian

Soups and Salads

•Soup of the Day with Saltine Crackers

•Assorted Mixed Garden Greens

•Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken Strips

•Chef's Salad

Hot Dishes