SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

It is common to see a MDR steward working Lido at lunch and back to MDR for dinner.

I have never seen our MDR steward working Room Service. Perhaps they rotate around some. I'm not sure a Room Service Steward does that a whole contract. Maybe they work Lido or MDR and then Room Service for a stretch?

Edited by sail7seas

When on a cruise in Europe, do you usually give your tip for Room Service delivery in dollars or euros? Thanks

I tip in US dollars---it's what I have.

If I have Euro (may not, depending on the itinerary), it means I have paid for them, and want to use them for my purchases where it's the local currency.

On over 35 cruises with Hal we have NEVER seen our DR Steward deliver Room Service, usually Lido attendants or DR Attendants!
As I said, I have.

Maybe they work Lido or MDR and then Room Service for a stretch?
I don't think it's an "or" situation. Maybe sometimes they are short-handed due to illness among crew and MDR stewards are pressed into room service delivery during the day.

Edited by jtl513

Room Service is not included in the Daily Gratuities it is usually an extra, at least we treat it as such[emoji41]

What exactly was my false statement?

Post #5, quoted above, that Room Service is not included in the Daily Gratuities....

It is included.

Sorry I totally disagree. The DR and Cabin Stewards get the bulk of your daily gratuities. The rest go to the "behind the scenes folks" which include those that deliver your room service as well as the deck crew etc.

By giving the room service folks a couple bucks when delivering our food we do not treat that as "buying our way to the head of the line"! These folks work hard for their $ and they deserve it, period!

Yes, they bdo work hard for their $, and get paid to do so. They also get their cut of the HSC and - should they go "above and beyond", they should get a little extra.

And, no, they aren't "behind the scenes" folks - especially at breakfast, when there are more trays to deliver, most of the stewards are working. Or do you think there's a dedicated group of room service stewards sitting around waiting for the phone to ring?

On over 35 cruises with Hal we have NEVER seen our DR Steward deliver Room Service, usually Lido attendants or DR Attendants!

What do you think your DR steward is, if not an "attendant"? Or are you seeing that the asst. DR mgrs are the ones delivering the trays???

And just because you didn't notice something doesn't mean someone else is lying...

No, tipping for room service. It is an included dining option. Try to keep the cruise experience as cash-less as possible, for all concerned. Staff shares the "hospitality" fee at the end. Don't believe stories about getting better service if you tip. Not a good practice anyway to try and "buy your way" to the head of the line.

"Try to keep the cruise experience as cash-less as possible, FOR ALL CONCERNED." ??? I don't understand how keeping the cruise cash-less (i.e. TIP-LESS) is a plus for ALL concerned. For the passenger, maybe so. For the crew member delivering your (possibly heavy) tray, NOT SO MUCH.

I do not tip (nor does anyone I know) because I believe we will get better service if we tip. We tip because we APPRECIATE the effort put in to make my vacation more enjoyable.

"Buy your way" to the head of the line??? Are you serious? Do you really think that I believe my $3 tip is going to make a crew member grab my tray before any others and RUN it to my room? Regardless of how long I wait for my food, I will tip the "runner" because he is going to bring it to me whenever it happens to be ready. He will serve it with a cheerful greeting and a smile and I will cheerfully hand him a few dollars in appreciation.

If you choose not to tip, that is certainly your prerogative. However, please do not imply that those of us who do are trying to buy our way to the head of the line or are giving a bribe for better service. Some of us are just appreciative of the hard work shown by others that makes our cruise experience great!

Tip as much as you can. I just finished reading the "Cruise Confidential" blog. A few dollars every opportunity you can will make a huge difference in the lives you encounter. You've paid a good sum to be on the ship, what's a few dollars every time someone delivers food, cleans your room, makes you a drink, or does something nice for you? It's maybe an extra $10 a day on top of auto tips? That's two Starbucks drinks.

Quote from the blog:

CC: Can you talk a little about what a crewmember earns and how tips play into it?

BDB: Tipping is serious stuff. It represents well over 95% of what the crew makes. Carnival gave me something around $60 a month or so when it was all said and done. "Salary" also included the cabin you share, plenty of food and two crew parties a month. There was also an unfulfilled promise of medical care

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tip as much as you can. I just finished reading the "Cruise Confidential" blog. A few dollars every opportunity you can will make a huge difference in the lives you encounter. You've paid a good sum to be on the ship, what's a few dollars every time someone delivers food, cleans your room, makes you a drink, or does something nice for you? It's maybe an extra $10 a day on top of auto tips? That's two Starbucks drinks.

Quote from the blog:

CC: Can you talk a little about what a crewmember earns and how tips play into it?

BDB: Tipping is serious stuff. It represents well over 95% of what the crew makes. Carnival gave me something around $60 a month or so when it was all said and done. "Salary" also included the cabin you share, plenty of food and two crew parties a month. There was also an unfulfilled promise of medical care

Most of the crew leave thier country for a greater opportunity of employment. What they negotiate is not my business or concern. I actually find it quite rude that you beg others to donate more money over and above the auto-gratuities system that's in place for them. It's almost like badgering people to do more. Yeah, I know they work so hard....and so do a lot of people. Some get promoted and some don't and that's life. The fact of the matter of this post is tipping extra for room service is NOT REQUIRED as some people on these boards guilt trip people into doing so. Some people don't want to be bothered about who, when and where to tip, hence the auto-gratuities system which covers it all.

Most of the crew leave thier country for a greater opportunity of employment. What they negotiate is not my business or concern. I actually find it quite rude that you beg others to donate more money over and above the auto-gratuities system that's in place for them. It's almost like badgering people to do more. Yeah, I know they work so hard....and so do a lot of people. Some get promoted and some don't and that's life. The fact of the matter of this post is tipping extra for room service is NOT REQUIRED as some people on these boards guilt trip people into doing so. Some people don't want to be bothered about who, when and where to tip, hence the auto-gratuities system which covers it all.

Whatever makes your feel better. It's not badgering, it's an opinion. If you think an extra $10 a day in top of your $1000 cruise is too burdensome, don't do it.

I tip for just about everything - hotel stays, several dollars day, deliver toothpaste, a $1, open my door or load my suitcase in a car, $1 per bag, bring me ice $1, deliver a package and I'm home, $1., hail a cab for me, $2. A few dollars here and there won't bankrupt me, but I know the extra money for those on the service industry, can make a difference. Maybe it's because I grew up very poor, had a mother who worked 3 jobs and was a cocktail waitress myself.

Delivering my breakfast, an extra $1 or $2 won't break the bank, but can really help the person who delivered it. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

Nothing is required. But, as a Buddhist, I believe in good karma. Again, that's just me.

You do whatever feels right for you.

Edited by SLOTheta

Whatever makes your feel better. It's not badgering, it's an opinion. If you think an extra $10 a day in top of your $1000 cruise is too burdensome, don't do it.

I tip for just about everything - hotel stays, several dollars day, deliver toothpaste, a $1, open my door or load my suitcase in a car, $1 per bag, bring me ice $1, deliver a package and I'm home, $1., hail a cab for me, $2. A few dollars here and there won't bankrupt me, but I know the extra money for those on the service industry, can make a difference. Maybe it's because I grew up very poor, had a mother who worked 3 jobs and was a cocktail waitress myself.

Delivering my breakfast, an extra $1 or $2 won't break the bank, but can really help the person who delivered it. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

Nothing is required. But, as a Buddhist, I believe in good karma. Again, that's just me.

That's wonderful, tip as much as you want. To some people your cheap and to some your trying to "bribe" the staff and get better service. I personally could care less, but guilt tripping people with your blog quotes is cumbersome and dilutes the gratuity system that the cruise line put in place.

If the ships introduced dsc to make it easier for everyone to tip, why are so many on here telling people to "tip as much as you can".

If I have paid the dsc why are people in here adding more pressure?

If you want to tip extra go for it but trying to push others is inappropriate, the cruise line has made it clear that the dsc is appropriate.

Frankly it's disgraceful behaviour that an employer puts so much emphasis on the customer to pay the wages of its employees. Employees of companies in a first world country in this day and age should not be subjected to this.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Wasn't Buddha anti gambling? Described alcohol as a poison that clouds the mind.

"Try to keep the cruise experience as cash-less as possible, FOR ALL CONCERNED." ??? I don't understand how keeping the cruise cash-less (i.e. TIP-LESS) is a plus for ALL concerned. For the passenger, maybe so. For the crew member delivering your (possibly heavy) tray, NOT SO MUCH.

I do not tip (nor does anyone I know) because I believe we will get better service if we tip. We tip because we APPRECIATE the effort put in to make my vacation more enjoyable.

"Buy your way" to the head of the line??? Are you serious? Do you really think that I believe my $3 tip is going to make a crew member grab my tray before any others and RUN it to my room? Regardless of how long I wait for my food, I will tip the "runner" because he is going to bring it to me whenever it happens to be ready. He will serve it with a cheerful greeting and a smile and I will cheerfully hand him a few dollars in appreciation.

If you choose not to tip, that is certainly your prerogative. However, please do not imply that those of us who do are trying to buy our way to the head of the line or are giving a bribe for better service. Some of us are just appreciative of the hard work shown by others that makes our cruise experience great!

Very well put. You expressed what are also my feelings much better than I could have. Thank you.

Very well put. You expressed what are also my feelings much better than I could have. Thank you.

There has been no shortage of cruisers both on this site and others who have openly admitted to tipping early in cruises to ensure better service, whether it be specific needs in their cabin or better pours at the bars.

I personally could not care less what other people tip or for what reason.

The only problem I have is when those push others to tip in a certain way.

As to the original op, surely the staff will take whichever currency you have. They can use USD on the cruise or eur on the ground, or just use currency exchange as they need it.

Nobody badgers me or makes me feel guilty so I will feel I have to tip extra. It is a way of showing my appreciation for service that truly enhances our trip.

What you personally decide to do is entirely your choice and what I choose to do is mine. Your way evidently makes you feel good and my way makes me feel good also. Everyone is happy.

Actually I didn't think the MDR servers delivered room service either, because they work long hours in the MDR. But maybe they do and I haven't noticed. I know the lido staff does, however.

Dining stewards from the MDR also work the Lido (breakfast or lunch) and room service. We've seen them, as have others.

Any room service waiter who has to look at me in my shorts, early in the morning, delivering my breakfast, deserves a tip !!

Made me laugh. I gave this thread some thought and could only come up with one thing - when it comes to room service, we tip because we want to.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Quote from the blog:

I don't know how old that blog is but that figure of $60/month salary is definitely not true on HAL these days. I know that for an absolute fact. They earn a fairly decent wage. But I do agree with most of the rest of your post, and we tip in appreciation for the service we receive, and especially the room service delivery guy.