Sunrise/Sunset

get me off land

Hey all! So this is DH and my first cruise and we are sailing on the Magic in less than 3 weeks! I was reading a bunch on how people have gone out to watch the sunrise or sunset and was wondering if the times were posted in the fun times or the best place to look up that info. Thanks!

Google your port sunrise sunset for October and click the time and date site, This will give you local times. You will then have to find the difference between ships time and local time for each port if any.

They DO post the times on the front page of the Fun Times. Funny....I usually go out on deck about 10-15 minutes before sunset to watch. Seems to take FOREVER to set, but once the sun is on the horizon, blink your eyes and it's gone! :eek::eek: Sunrises and sunsets are one of the reasons I love to cruise. It is such an experience. You can't explain how beautiful it is to someone who has never seen it. Even pictures can't do it justice (tho I have a couple thousand of them! :p) ENJOY!

I love watching the sun rise and set. I agree with a previous poster. It's one of my favorite parts of cruising. The times are listed on the fun times but I always go out about 10-15 early for the sunrise. It's sooooo nice!! Here a pic of a sunrise from my last cruise in Sept. :)

(hope the pic attaches right lol)

DSC_1320.jpg.7cf840a91c64316a78bea87ff3ba09fe.jpg

There are Android apps (and probably Apple ones too) that calculate sunrise/sunset based on your GPS location. This would be a bit more accurate than the Funtimes.

Why do you think an app would be more accurate than the info printed in the Fun Times? Everything on the bridge is computerized, including GPS, so surely the sunrise and sunset times are exact when the Fun Times goes to print every day.

There are Android apps (and probably Apple ones too) that calculate sunrise/sunset based on your GPS location. This would be a bit more accurate than the Funtimes.

Why do you think an app would be more accurate than the info printed in the Fun Times? Everything on the bridge is computerized, including GPS, so surely the sunrise and sunset times are exact when the Fun Times goes to print every day.

I guarantee a GPS derived Sunrise/sunset is more accurate than the FunTimes mainly because the ship is moving. I doubt they can predict the location of the ship with 10 meter accuracy for next morning's sunrise when the FunTimes is printed around 3 p.m. the day before.

Please note I also said it would be a "bit more accurate". Heck going from the Promenade to Sky decks changes sunrise times by 10 seconds or so. Do you think the FunTimes takes that into account?

Find the secret decks at the front of the ship. Usually on decks 6.7.8,9 These are the best places to watch both. Will be going on my 14th cruise in Dec. Always get up to watch the sunrise every day. I just go back to bed after. Sometimes miss sunset because of dinner time. There is nothing more beautiful then watching God's artwork over the ocean.

Edited by pambud96
Spelling

I guarantee a GPS derived Sunrise/sunset is more accurate than the FunTimes mainly because the ship is moving. I doubt they can predict the location of the ship with 10 meter accuracy for next morning's sunrise when the FunTimes is printed around 3 p.m. the day before.

Please note I also said it would be a "bit more accurate". Heck going from the Promenade to Sky decks changes sunrise times by 10 seconds or so. Do you think the FunTimes takes that into account?

This is the best time of the day for me. Early coffee alone to welcome my new day at sea. Awsome.

I was so surprised at how close the Funtimes get with the time. I'm like you how the heck do they know where we will be & what time we will be there. But they sure get it within a minute.

Find the secret decks at the front of the ship. Usually on decks 6.7.8,9 These are the best places to watch both. Will be going on my 14th cruise in Dec. Always get up to watch the sunrise every day. I just go back to bed after. Sometimes miss sunset because of dinner time. There is nothing more beautiful then watching God's artwork over the ocean.

My Daddy's favorite word's were " only God can paint that picture "

I miss him & his word's so much. When I see something as beautiful as the sunrise or sunset I look up & saw Daddy you were right.

Char