Cruise Critic Editors Announce Best of...For Cruising

Cruseforme

Whoa, just read on CNN.com travel that the CC editors just announced the best of...for Cruising.....Celebrity took the best of, for dining....really? The last time we were on one the food was meh....hmmmmmm. O did not get one single mention....omen of things to come, or just out of favor now?! Very interesting read on their choices. Can't say we agree on some of their choices for best of...but hey, that's why I am not a professional critic, and why I don't always trust other's reviews. We just know what we like. Check it out on CNN.com, under travel.

Whoa, just read on CNN.com travel that the CC editors just announced the best of...for Cruising.....Celebrity took the best of, for dining....really? The last time we were on one the food was meh....hmmmmmm. O did not get one single mention....omen of things to come, or just out of favor now?! Very interesting read on their choices. Can't say we agree on some of their choices for best of...but hey, that's why I am not a professional critic, and why I don't always trust other's reviews. We just know what we like. Check it out on CNN.com, under travel.

It's been years since we cruised Celebrity and the food on the last two were enough to make us know we were done with mass market lines.

That and the relentless nickel and diming and constant efforts to sell anything and everything were a total turn off.

I have not been on Oceania for over a year and plan to leave a detailed review after our Oct. 23rd cruise. I plan to pay attention to those things that remain the same and note any changes we see. I have not seen a review with food photos lately and will try my hand at it! I think many cruisers who choose Oceania do it for the cuisine.

These "Best of" Lists are more polls than contests, because there isn't any question of comparison or appraisal; it's strictly a matter of who gets the biggest voter turnout.

Naturally, this puts the Lines with more and larger ships in the catbird seat.

Put another way, on any given night there are just short of 20,000 people sleeping on a Celebrity Cruise ship; on Oceania, it's more like 4500 now and the Sirena will push that up to 5200. If a contest is run purely on volume of voters, well, there isn't any contest. :o

I never believe any of those polls

How do you know who was voting have they tried every cruise line out there or just their favourites

Just go & enjoy

Hi

I BELIEVE ONLY IN POLLS ( STATISTICS ) THAT I HAVE FALSIFIED MYSELF.:D

HAVE A NICE CRUISE :)

10 years ago we booked 2 cruises to go South America - one on Celebrity and one on Oceania. Did a short Caribbean cruise on Celebrity to see if we liked the food and ship size. Came home and cancelled the SA cruise with them, did our first cruise with O and never looked back:D

While I completely agree that Oceania has much better food than Celebrity have any of you actually read how the awards are given out. They are called the Cruise Critic Editors' Pick Awards. Not a poll by random cruisers. If cruise ship size was the only criteria for winning why would Azamara win any awards having only two small ships.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/05/travel/u-s-cruise-critic-editors-picks-awards/index.html

http://www.cruisecritic.com/editors-picks/

Editors' Picks Awards

The Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards are chosen by Cruise Critic's international team of editors, based on the lines and ships they feel best represent excellence in each of the designated categories. Awards announced October 2015.

By the way of all the mass market lines my personal favorite is Celebrity.

Edited by CHUCKIE50

These "Best of" Lists are more polls than contests, because there isn't any question of comparison or appraisal; it's strictly a matter of who gets the biggest voter turnout.

Naturally, this puts the Lines with more and larger ships in the catbird seat.

Put another way, on any given night there are just short of 20,000 people sleeping on a Celebrity Cruise ship; on Oceania, it's more like 4500 now and the Sirena will push that up to 5200. If a contest is run purely on volume of voters, well, there isn't any contest. :o

Couldn't agree more! It is pretty much a waste of time looking at them.

StanandJim has it exactly right. These polls are silly and mean nothing, just like the annual surveys in Traveler and Travel&Leisure.

Except for the folks who believe them, trust them and use them for decision making. Sadly, there are many who do, approximately the same number who believe alarmist emails and statements on cable news channels.

Except for the folks who believe them, trust them and use them for decision making. Sadly, there are many who do, approximately the same number who believe alarmist emails and statements on cable news channels.

Correct sir!

Fortunately, most of them are tied up at the moment, dealing with tradesmen who "just happened to be in the area" :pDriveway%20Scammers.jpg

It's so nice being ignored by you "experts" but it wasn't a poll. Big difference than the nonsense that is being spouted.

Editors' Picks Awards

The Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards are chosen by Cruise Critic's international team of editors, based on the lines and ships they feel best represent excellence in each of the designated categories. Awards announced October 2015.

It's so nice being ignored by you "experts" but it wasn't a poll. Big difference than the nonsense that is being spouted.

Editors' Picks Awards

so basically it is based an a few people from the team of editors than opinions of many

I still do not put my money on things like those statistics

Does it really matter to your booking or enjoying a cruise ?

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

Editors' Picks Awards

Editors can be clueless too. I sincerely wonder how many of them have sailed on all the cruise lines they are supposed to be judging, or simply relying on "conventional wisdom".

Regardless, it doesn't change the way folks either trust or distrust the results.

Your all right......I went further and found that they,CC, listed Pacific Princess as the finest small luxury ship for service, ambiance, quality and food..... what a crock...

It is a pure function of numerical points:

1. from the masses who have no idea what they are doing and have nothing but Olive Garden, Red Lobster Golden Corral, and Ruby Tuesdays to compare to

2.From the CC perspective of advertising revenue derived from the continued relation of said cruise lines....... and said lines increase in revenue derived from the inflated ratings..... As they say " one hand washes the other"

Hey you could honestly say, based on CC collected mass data that McDonalds is better than Guy Savoy in Paris.. just because of the numbers who eat there....... Mc Donalds would be the clear winner .

Don

Since most editors that I've met in my life are human beings they are subject to all of the failings that we all are. Nevertheless to dismiss their findings out of hand without any facts seems without merit to me. I am sure the editors of CC are hard working journalists trying to do the best job they can possibly do. Carolyn Spencer Brown the editor in chief of CC has a fine resume http://www.cruisecritic.com/about-us/press-releases/9/ in travel journalism.

While I don't personally agree with most of their choices I will use their findings to consider future cruises. My own tastes favor Oceania and Celebrity for now but in the future I may try other lines. Just as a point of information my wife's first cruise was on the Rotterdam in 1952 and mine was on Premiere Cruises Big Red Boat in the 1980's. We have sailed Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara, Oceania and Crystal and have enjoyed every cruise without exception.

Your all right......I went further and found that they,CC, listed Pacific Princess as the finest small luxury ship for service, ambiance, quality and food..... what a crock...

It is a pure function of numerical points:

1. from the masses who have no idea what they are doing and have nothing but Olive Garden, Red Lobster Golden Corral, and Ruby Tuesdays to compare to

2.From the CC perspective of advertising revenue derived from the continued relation of said cruise lines....... and said lines increase in revenue derived from the inflated ratings..... As they say " one hand washes the other"

Hey you could honestly say, based on CC collected mass data that McDonalds is better than Guy Savoy in Paris.. just because of the numbers who eat there....... Mc Donalds would be the clear winner .

And beware of best restaurant lists on Trip Advisor, some lists have a shave ice,hot dog stand or ice cream establishment as the number one eatery. We have learned to pay little attention to lists.