Packable Parka

KARTI1955

Any suggestions for a packable parka to take me from the north to the south? I am looking for one that has a little bag or pouch to stuff it in to once I get to Florida. I saw an Athleta jacket that looks very nice. Any feedback?

TIA!

I have had an LLBean for years that I'll pack, but if I know I'll be getting wet, I use my Bean goretex rain coat (packs down, but doesn't come with its own pocket and is slightly bulkier - but goretex is the best for breathable waterproofing, so...) Uniqlo has some nice small packable options.

I like the Uniqlo Water Defender, packable down. Packs up pretty small. I wouldn't go in the pouring rain it in, but a light rain or mist and it will keep you dry.

Edited by sr4mjc

How warm do you want/need this parka to be? That is an important factor here in a type of jacket/parka for you.

I've had a Patagonia Down Sweater since 2011. For me, it's a true Spring/Fall/Winter parka. It is not really a "sweater", but a full-zip lightweight down jacket. I wear it every winter when the temps here at home are about 20 degrees or warmer. It packs down very small into it's own internal zippered pocket. It makes a nice additional pillow on the plane.

You can look on their own website for it. Also, REI, Backcountry.com, Sierra Trading post will have it. I have the straight Black one; but they have some cool colors also.

I also have a couple of MEC 1/4 zip down pullovers. Great also, but they have no pockets. You could buy a small bag to stuff it into. MEC is a Canadian store that is also a coop (like REI). There are some things you can buy on their website and have shipped to the US. I usually make a pilgrimage to their stores when I'm up in Canada. I've helped the Canadian economy several times with the purchases I've made ;)

How warm do you want/need this parka to be? That is an important factor here in a type of jacket/parka for you.

Doesn't have to be too heavy. Just something that isn't going to be too bulky to put in my suitcase pocket. I probably won't use it too much other than for travel.