carnival changing loyalty points Celebrity should do the same

hayward

This was posted on cruise critic, the problem with Celebrity is that all levels can use the happy hour and thus creates havoc.

Carnival Cruise Line Changes Loyalty Program Perks

May 6, 2015

fun ship freddy carnival cruise line loyalty program

(4:30 p.m. EDT) -- Following weekslong speculation on the Cruise Critic message boards, Carnival Cruise Line has made changes to its passenger loyalty program, limiting VIFP (Very Important Fun Person) party invitations to cruisers with Platinum and Diamond status only, effective May 15. (Previously, Gold-, Platinum- and Diamond-level loyalty club members had been able to attend.)

In a statement, Carnival said it made the decision because the number of loyalty program members has gotten so large that it became difficult to accommodate everyone -- sometimes as many as 1,000 passengers -- who was invited. Loyalty members complained that it left the events feeling more crowded and less intimate.

Rather than invitations to the VIFP party, Gold members will instead receive drink vouchers, valued at up to $9, for use at any onboard bar on the last evening of each sailing that's five days or longer. The vouchers are in addition to free bottles of water that Gold members already receive as a perk, and they can be redeemed for coffee, soda or alcoholic beverages.

Cruise Critic members have mixed feelings on the changes.

Member gremlinbangles says there's "plenty of 'free' food on the ship so I can get all the snacks anytime I want. And you get a drink two if you're lucky. I think I will live."

"I understand that some people don't care, but to others it is much more than just 'free food and drinks,'" says lovingCCL. "To me this is clearly indicative of how little I am valued. ... it is just an overall feeling of being unappreciated."

In 2012, Carnival made sweeping changes to its past-passenger program, changing the system from two tiers to the current five, which are Blue, Red, Gold, Platinum and Diamond.

--By Ashley Kosciolek, Editor

This was posted on cruise critic, the problem with Celebrity is that all levels can use the happy hour and thus creates havoc.

Carnival Cruise Line Changes Loyalty Program Perks

May 6, 2015

fun ship freddy carnival cruise line loyalty program

(4:30 p.m. EDT) -- Following weekslong speculation on the Cruise Critic message boards, Carnival Cruise Line has made changes to its passenger loyalty program, limiting VIFP (Very Important Fun Person) party invitations to cruisers with Platinum and Diamond status only, effective May 15. (Previously, Gold-, Platinum- and Diamond-level loyalty club members had been able to attend.)

In a statement, Carnival said it made the decision because the number of loyalty program members has gotten so large that it became difficult to accommodate everyone -- sometimes as many as 1,000 passengers -- who was invited. Loyalty members complained that it left the events feeling more crowded and less intimate.

Rather than invitations to the VIFP party, Gold members will instead receive drink vouchers, valued at up to $9, for use at any onboard bar on the last evening of each sailing that's five days or longer. The vouchers are in addition to free bottles of water that Gold members already receive as a perk, and they can be redeemed for coffee, soda or alcoholic beverages.

Cruise Critic members have mixed feelings on the changes.

Member gremlinbangles says there's "plenty of 'free' food on the ship so I can get all the snacks anytime I want. And you get a drink two if you're lucky. I think I will live."

"I understand that some people don't care, but to others it is much more than just 'free food and drinks,'" says lovingCCL. "To me this is clearly indicative of how little I am valued. ... it is just an overall feeling of being unappreciated."

In 2012, Carnival made sweeping changes to its past-passenger program, changing the system from two tiers to the current five, which are Blue, Red, Gold, Platinum and Diamond.

--By Ashley Kosciolek, Editor

My husband has been saying something to this effect for a while. Since the numbers of Elite and higher on some cruises are also very large. He said they will eventually give Elite drink vouchers and the Social Hour lounge will be for Elite+ and up. Not sure if it will ever happen and not sure many people will care since most now have drink packages (except for us since we always book insides.)

Edited by CruisingChick

A very high source in the Miami Office made it quite clear to me that Celebrity has placed changes in the Loyalty Program in the rear mirror. They will not consider any changes to the program in the near future.

Agree - Celebrity changed their Captains Club a couple of years ago. The OP is not correct. Not every level can attend the happy hour and since it now takes 300 points that is 100 days in a Veranda cabin or some 15 weeks of cruising. That is a lot of trips!

If there are more than about 200 Elites or better than coupons are handed out. That usually happens most on TA cruises. Our last TA on the Constellation had 1200 Elite or better. The B2B had about 75. So you never know.

Since it now takes about 50% longer to get to Elite than it did 2 years ago a change is not likely. Also the current people that are Elite or Elite Plus are getting older and the demographics suggest the "problem" will take care of itself over time.

A very high source in the Miami Office made it quite clear to me that Celebrity has placed changes in the Loyalty Program in the rear mirror. They will not consider any changes to the program in the near future.

It would be fine with me--I'd rather have the vouchers!! Since we always have late dining, having to get relatively dressed up from 5-7 is a PITN. Much better to hang at the Sunset Bar with friends, then go to cabin and change for dinner. The appetizers are meaningless to us on a ship with tons of other food choices. And I'd MUCH rather be outside than inside if the weather is nice. . .

I'm of the set, the more the merrier. I hate going to tiny small venues with 30 people. I far prefer the Sky Lounge packed. It just feels far more jovial when more people are around.

The small groups, usually tend to be close-knit keeping to themselves. This can be borne out by the desire for some to keep others out by further limiting access.

No need to change, current system works, with issuance of vouchers in those circumstances there are a lot of people, and even in these cases, the majority tend to end up in Sky Lounge anyway, thus even with voucher people can choose to go to the big crowded venue and drink or find a quite venue to drink- suiting the needs of both groups.

My husband has been saying something to this effect for a while. Since the numbers of Elite and higher on some cruises are also very large. He said they will eventually give Elite drink vouchers and the Social Hour lounge will be for Elite+ and up. Not sure if it will ever happen and not sure many people will care since most now have drink packages (except for us since we always book insides.)

On my last three TA's in the last couple of years (and I'm sure on my upcoming one), vouchers have been handed out. I love having the option to get a drink in most of the bars, rather than being packed in with a huge group in the observation sky lounge.

Monica

the problem with Celebrity is that all levels can use the happy hour and thus creates havoc.

Sorry -- maybe I didn't understand your post, but X's Captain's Club levels break down as:

Classic & Select -- no lounge, no happy hour/breakfast, no vouchers.

Elite & Elite + -- access to the Elite Lounge (or nightly vouchers, in lieu of), and daily access to the Elite breakfast.

Zenith -- access to Michael's Club (pretty much around the clock), and access to any Elite events they wish to attend.

And, FWIW, I don't see trends on Carnival having any significant impact on X. Now, if we were talking about a major change to RC's Crown & Anchor Society, that might be a different story -- since both lines are owned by RCCL.

Since it now takes about 50% longer to get to Elite than it did 2 years ago a change is not likely. Also the current people that are Elite or Elite Plus are getting older and the demographics suggest the "problem" will take care of itself over time.

Excuse me. Elite+ and under 40. Don't put me in my grave yet.

On my last three TA's in the last couple of years (and I'm sure on my upcoming one), vouchers have been handed out. I love having the option to get a drink in most of the bars, rather than being packed in with a huge group in the observation sky lounge.

Monica

Yes, they give out vouchers when the numbers are great. Glad that you like them better, are you Elite or Elite+?

I was just speculating that since there are so many Elite they would separate them from Elite+. RCCL separates Diamond from Diamond+.

Sorry -- maybe I didn't understand your post, but X's Captain's Club levels break down as:

Classic & Select -- no lounge, no happy hour/breakfast, no vouchers.

Elite & Elite + -- access to the Elite Lounge (or nightly vouchers, in lieu of), and daily access to the Elite breakfast.

Zenith -- access to Michael's Club (pretty much around the clock), and access to any Elite events they wish to attend.

And, FWIW, I don't see trends on Carnival having any significant impact on X. Now, if we were talking about a major change to RC's Crown & Anchor Society, that might be a different story -- since both lines are owned by RCCL.

Good summary. There is a coupon sheet for Select with some almost meaningless coupons. Someone has posted one for small on eBay.

......Since it now takes about 50% longer to get to Elite than it did 2 years ago a change is not likely. Also the current people that are Elite or Elite Plus are getting older and the demographics suggest the "problem" will take care of itself over time.
Let's not overlook the fact that many passengers are already Elite on their very first Celebrity cruise due to the reciprocity with RCI.

It is easier to get to Diamond on RCI than to Elite on Celebrity,

thereby also automatically eligible to be Elite on Celebrity.

We heard that on some Celebrity cruises the majority of Elite passengers are crossovers from RCI and that is why they decided not to extend the reciprocity any further.

It is certainly understandable, since RCI (with more ships and much larger ships) has so many more passengers than Celebrity.

That is why the impact of Diamond passengers from RCI cruising as Elite on Celebrity is so much greater than the other way around.

We have met many couples who cruised on RCI for the bells and whistles when they had young children, but have switched to Celebrity now that their children are grown and they automatically get the Elite perks on Celebrity.

Some still pick RCI when traveling with grandchildren who want features like water slides, climbing walls, flowriders, ice skating rinks, etc.

I think that is probably just what the RCCL executives were anticipating when they implemented the reciprocity.

Edited by varoo

On Royal's Vision OTS June 2014, the first cruise to Bermuda had 1500 C&A members on board. Ship staff handled it near to perfection. They simply did two parties. One was for Gold and one was for everyone else.

Nobody got left out and the overall attitude of the passengers about it was quite good. It certainly made good sense to me. They actually had to use the main theater for the parties.

Let's not overlook the fact that many passengers are already Elite on their very first Celebrity cruise due to the reciprocity with RCI.

It is easier to get to Diamond on RCI than to Elite on Celebrity,

thereby also automatically eligible to be Elite on Celebrity.

We heard that on some Celebrity cruises the majority of Elite passengers are crossovers from RCI and that is why they decided not to extend the reciprocity any further.

It is certainly understandable, since RCI (with more ships and much larger ships) has so many more passengers than Celebrity.

That is why the impact of Diamond passengers from RCI cruising as Elite on Celebrity is so much greater than the other way around.

We have met many couples who cruised on RCI for the bells and whistles when they had young children, but have switched to Celebrity now that their children are grown and they automatically get the Elite perks on Celebrity.

Some still pick RCI when traveling with grandchildren who want features like water slides, climbing walls, flowriders, ice skating rinks, etc.

I think that is probably just what the RCCL executives were anticipating when they implemented the reciprocity.

Thank you, this is a great explanation of the reasoning behind my rationale for limiting the number of cruisers into the elite lounges....Yes the vouchers do help.

But shouldn't you be comparing the VIFP party to the Captain's Club Party not the Elite and higher happy hour. They are very different events and I think you are comparing apples to oranges with your response.

I'm sure there are a number of us who would perfer a 1 drink voucher in lieu of the CCP.;):)

Varoo, your point about Royal Carribean is not totally accurate. Yes some come over from Diamond to Elite but it goes both ways. The main issue is the speed in which you can attain Elite status on X. In our many, many Celebrity cruises, we've met very few Royal people during the E/E+/Z Happy Hour.

Edited by Oville

But shouldn't you be comparing the VIFP party to the Captain's Club Party not the Elite and higher happy hour. They are very different events and I think you are comparing apples to oranges with your response.

I'm sure there are a number of us who would perfer a 1 drink voucher in lieu of the CCP.;):)

Varoo, your point about Royal Carribean is not totally accurate. Yes some come over from Diamond to Elite but it goes both ways. The main issue is the speed in which you can attain Elite status on X. In our many, many Celebrity cruises, we've met very few Royal people during the E/E+/Z Happy Hour.

Wow. I've been on the boards for a long time, but your abbreviations have me in quite a pickle! No idea what you are referring to. . .

Wow. I've been on the boards for a long time, but your abbreviations have me in quite a pickle! No idea what you are referring to. . .

VIFP – Very Important Fun Person - Carnival's Captain's Club

CCP - Captain's Club Party

Oh Wow! We are D+ on RCI so we do cross to Celebrity as Elite. We appreciate that the perks from RC transfer to Celebrity! We spent a lot of $$$ with RCCL!

When we started cruising, the loyalty systems were based on # of cruises! A person that lived close to the ports could take a weekend cruise in an inside stateroom and get 1 credit while a person flying into the port taking a 12 day cruise in a Suite got 1 credit! The local passengers were enjoying the perks and those that could not book as frequently "paid the price!"

You can debate the pros and cons all day long. The bottom line is that the cruise lines want/need those repeat passengers that are loyal to their product, even if it means a different cruise line within their corp structure. I would definitely prefer to invest in RCCL and see the lines I prefer to grow and remain "afloat" than go to another company. I am not saying that the other companies are inferior....I just have MY preferences!