When do you feel your vacation has started?

TBone2K

I'm on vacation and relaxed once I step onto the ship. No possible chance of a car breakdown on the way to the airport, no possible chance of a flight delay, no more chance of a delay getting to the port. I don't care if the ship never sails (well, I do, I need to see, feel, and hear the ocean), the crew onboard will pamper me and make me smile.

When we arrive at our port city hotel.

Never assume you can get to your hotel easily.

9/11, Catalonia Festival, 1.4 million people, Downtown Barcelona, Tram not running, cabs won't take you = walking 1.6 miles with luggage. Thanks American Airlines for cancelling our flight and being 12 hours later than expected.

Ah, memories.

Mine is when I get home from the last day of work and take my shoes off but I like everybody else's response also. I know the cruise is coming and having work finished makes me happy.

I probably wouldn't argue with that, except for us work normally finishes when we fall into bed, the next morning is rush rush rush to get away, so it's when we pull out the driveway.

My vacation starts the moment I am done with work the day before I fly out. My countdown always goes to 5 pm my last day of work!!

Unfortunately work for us doesn't finish at 5, normally it finishes when we crash into bed, usually around midnight.

When we arrive at our port city hotel.

This ^. I drive to the ports so I never count my vacation as started when I back out of the driveway. The ride down to Port Canaveral back in April was one of the most stressful times of my life.........Downtown ATL in Friday rush hour traffic in a torrential downpour so hard I could barely see the front of my truck with terrible thunder and lightning. The interstate was actually flooding it was so bad. It pretty much went on for the next 4 hours. Finally I had enough in Valdosta and got a room. Good thing it was two days before the cruise leaves.

My vacation begins when I check in the hotel :)

Was just reading a question about muster drill and got me wondering, when do you feel your vacation has actually started?

I have a very stressful job, the cruise countdown clock on my desk is for my sanity. I actively participate in my roll call. One of my traditions is posting a picture of myself walking out the door for at least a week. That is my actual beginning. I usually get 20 or more Whoo-hoos, or other congratulations, or "me too"s. Part of why I feel that way is my job is very project oriented and I probably spend as much time on the last day avoiding any new work as finishing up any existing work. By the time its late afternoon I already have my 40 hours for the week in and there is no point in being there, so that time is usually an hour or two before my normal qutting time. The phone is logged out and the email autoreply kicks in.

But other than that, the first view of the ship is another big point.

I actually have multiple steps on this one :D

Vacation starts (in the "haha I don't have to go in to work for a week") sense when I'm out of the car at the airport.

Vacation starts (in the "OMG I made it") sense when I've arrived at the hotel, sat my things down, and am getting ready to make dinner happen. (Keep in mind I tend to fly in, and with my first cruise I actually had a full "land day" before embarcation day.)

Vacation starts (in the "Ahahahah there's no way work could get hold of me if they wanted to so now I am going to fully unplug and relax") once I am on the ship, have the drink of the day in hand, the ship is moving, muster drill has completed, MTD dinner reservations have been set, and the phone has been set into airplane mode for the duration and the small and cute camera has been taken out...

When do I feel my vacation has started? The moment I switch my phones over to my back up midwife, and I am totally "off call". It's my AHHHHHHH moment.

When does the stress melt completely away? When we reach the pier with all our suitcases in hand. :D My husband knows it's complete when he hands me my first drink!!

I agree with some of the other posters, my vacation starts the minute I walk out of work. I have about 4 weeks yet till my next one!

eqyjypud.jpg

This is me walking out the door before my last Allure cruise. (Ok, I was running!)