Looking for info on going ashore during Western Caribbean trip.

We are gong on a Western Caribbean cruise 1/31 with Royal Caribbean Navigator of the seas. I am looking for information when we go ashore. I recall from previous trips from many years ago sometime we took fairies into land, sometime it was a large dock and you could walk into small villages or beaches and things to do and other times the only way to get anywhere was to do an excursion or hire a local cab.

Any info on what to expect on stops at:

[*]Georgetown, Grand Cayman

[*]Falmouth, Jamaica

[*]Labadee, Haiti

can we walk right off and into things to do (a beach) or will we need to book an excursion at every location.

We are traveling with our 11& 12 year old so I would like to plan ahead.

We are gong on a Western Caribbean cruise 1/31 with Royal Caribbean Navigator of the seas. I am looking for information when we go ashore. I recall from previous trips from many years ago sometime we took fairies into land, sometime it was a large dock and you could walk into small villages or beaches and things to do and other times the only way to get anywhere was to do an excursion or hire a local cab.

[*]Falmouth, Jamaica

[*]Labadee, Haiti

can we walk right off and into things to do (a beach) or will we need to book an excursion at every location.

You will tender (small boat) at Grand Cayman. All the other ports have piers. You are not required to do excursions at any port.

Look at the port of call boards and you should have lots of suggestions.

In Grand Cayman, we did a combo Stingray City/Turtle Farm Tour with Captain Marvins.

In Falmouth, the girls went shopping, my son and I stayed on the ship.

In Labadee, we got a cabana and did the water park (also snorkeled at Nellie's beach).

[*]Falmouth, Jamaica

[*]Labadee, Haiti

Click on these links:

Grand Cayman

Falmouth

Labadee

Grand Caymen is a tender port, will need to get on a tender boat to the shore. Once there there are many shopping places all within walking distance - you can take a ship tour or get a taxi/tour once on shore, that's up to you. The swim with stingrays is a really nice excursion, we did it in Antigua not here in the Caymen.

[*]Falmouth, Jamaica

Royal Caribbean finished a dock project at this port of call a few years ago. Now it has lots of shops in a market style a Margaritaville (that's quite expensive), however that is about all that is at Falmouth, it is a very small town with really nothing else there. So if you want to see any part of Jamaica you will need to take a tour.

[*]Labadee, Haiti

Royal Caribbean also built a nice dock here so you can get off the ship - it is a beach venue with a bbq lunch provided, bars and a shopping area. We went to the shopping area and the venders were very agressive, we left without purchasing anything. I hope the venders have calmed down some since we were there. All in all this is a nice beach area and we enjoyed Laberdee.

Hope I helped some.

Edited by britty1

You can walk right off and book an excursion. That's what we did. The trolley tour in Falmouth was very good. Good shopping is near the dock in Georgetown and Cozumel. Cozumel has a lot of activities, but a ship excursion to get you back on time is our suggestion if you book a long excursion.

Thanks britty1. This is what I was looking for. I can research tours and pick what we want to do, but sometimes we are just happy to sit by a beach and not pay extra to do so at every stop. Also I recall a port that we got off and it was all fence and locals following us and wanting to sell us drugs and were very aggressive. I felt unsafe and don't want to take my kids through such areas. Now we can plan more on which stops we will do the extra tours

Edited by angie4444

You can walk right off and book an excursion. That's what we did. The trolley tour in Falmouth was very good. Good shopping is near the dock in Georgetown and Cozumel. Cozumel has a lot of activities, but a ship excursion to get you back on time is our suggestion if you book a long excursion.

Edited by Fouremco

Angie4444, With an 11 and 12 year old, you have to do Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It will be a trip your kids will not forget. Book the excursion for your family through Royal Caribbean....try to do the morning one. There may be a number of excursions that go there, some may hit the Turtle Farm, some may stop at "Hell". If you have to schedule a later one , be sure it is with Royal. We've done it a few times with family and the last time the traffic held our group up and the ship did have to wait a short time for all to get onboard. Remember that you tender in at the Grand Caymans. Oh, if you do a morning excursion, it allows a little shopping time also while in the port.

Taking the fairies :D sounds like so much more fun than climbing into tenders. :D:):D Thanks!

I thought exactly the same :D

...... but I have also picked up some useful tips from this thread, so thanks.

Edited by mrsgoggins

When you get ashore in Georgetown Grand Cayman go to seven mile beach. Taxis (8 or so seater mini buses) leave directly from the port as soon as they fill up which isn't long and I think it was only a 15 minute drive to seven mile beach. There are lots of bar/restaurants on the beach front where you can rent loungers and parasols.Plenty of taxis back to the ship any time you fancy heading back.

Angie4444, With an 11 and 12 year old, you have to do Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It will be a trip your kids will not forget. Book the excursion for your family through Royal Caribbean....try to do the morning one. There may be a number of excursions that go there, some may hit the Turtle Farm, some may stop at "Hell". If you have to schedule a later one , be sure it is with Royal. We've done it a few times with family and the last time the traffic held our group up and the ship did have to wait a short time for all to get onboard. Remember that you tender in at the Grand Caymans. Oh, if you do a morning excursion, it allows a little shopping time also while in the port.

If you are in port for the day, just book a morning tour to swim with stingrays with a private company (find one on the ports page--I think we did Marvins). They were great, small group with personal attention and we all got to feed, kiss, and hold the rays. Also included snorkeling in a nearby spot without the crowds. And cheaper than the ship's excursion with 50 people. They then dropped us off at 7 mile beach and can catch a taxi back. No problem.

You will tender (small boat) at Grand Cayman. All the other ports have piers. You are not required to do excursions at any port.

I love it that Grand Cayman is now sending out big tender boats instead of Royal having to use their small tenders. It sure makes the tendering process quicker! :)