Montego Bay Jamaica

Mlkkc

Margaritaville. Was completely packed and overrun during spring break last year but no brainier it's spring break. It's pretty small and the downtown area is kind of scary if you ask me. We did a horseback riding excursion that was amazing. Downtown Montego Bay had a few shops but again, I was clinging onto my wallet the entire time thinking somebody would snatch it....

We plan on going to Drs Cave bathing club. Supposed to be close to Margaritaville but less crowded.

The entrance to Doctor Cave's beach is down the street from Margaritaville. There's a good restaurant on the beach for lunch and you can rent a lounger there. Snorkel out past the raft where you'll see a "U" shaped set of coral heads.

Don't buy any weed or other smokables, no no no I dont smoke it no more works well.

We have been to Montego Bay one time and that was enough. Getting downtown from the port requires a cab. Once you are there be prepared to have drug dealers bothering you. Its done right in the middle of the street. We had a nice day at Margarettaville, it wasnt overcroweded even though there were two ships in port. We sat on the outside deck having drinks and , lunch watching the catamarans coming and going from the beach resorts and some para-sailers go by. Back on board the ship we discussed our expierence with others who have been to Jamacia and they say the whole island is like Montego Bay.

Secrets all inclusive resort is great! Cab ride is 5-10 minutes. Carnival sells it as an excursion with transportation, but you can book directly through the resort for a lot less. We just didn't know that until after the cruise.

We took a carnival excursion to blue something beach. It wasn't too bad but not the best of beaches either. I typically go on ship excursions my first time somewhere just to get a feel for it, then venture out on my own. Downtown Jamaica was not scary to me, but I have seen people get hit by cars and the drivers just keep on going in Nairobi.

Sublarry

Montego Bay is one of my favorite cities. I had a great time hanging out with the locals on the beach drinking Red Stripe and playing dominoes. No way would I go to a Margaritaville, when I can go to a local beach bar and the pork pit.

Love Montego Bay!!

We stayed there for a week this past January at Sunset Beach Resort which is an all-inclusive and you can get a daypass for $60.00 and it is 5 minutes from the port. Daypass includes unlimited drinks (if you like rum make sure to ask for Appleton's) and food. They have a beach grill and a buffet lunch.

We avoided Margarittville and did a few excursions:

Dolphin Cove - swim with the dolphins

Martha Brae River Raft - nice raft ride down the Martha Brae River

Day trip to Negril

We booked our tours with JUTA Tours. http://jutatoursltd.com/

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GET OFF THE SHIP! The ports are the best part!

I think Jamaica is beautiful. I agree with a couple of the others, spend the day at an All Inclusive Resort and be pampered. Love the Jamaica Hospitality. Check out resort for a day dot com they have 3 Montego Bay Resorts and they include roundtrip transportation. I saw that they just added that Secrets Adults Only Resort for a much lower price than Carnival. I'll have to check that one out the next time I dock there. Have a wonderful cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love Mo Bay. I admit I had reservations years ago and only went to a private resort. But years later and with more research I allowed my family and I to venture out with a private tour company (Courtney Tours)for the past 3 years. We travel with 2 kids and were never approached by "drug dealers". Do they look like me? No, not really, but I don't allow that to scare me. I will say that they are a little pushy with sells, but I never felt scared. Just Say No, venture out with a well-known company, and experience Jamaica. Always...keep your kids close and think smart.

Jamaica is beautiful and people are wonderful! We weren't sure we even wanted to get off the boat because of all the negative reports here... WOW, sorry but those folks are wrong. We had a BLAST! We booked a zipline excursion thru Carnival, which was sooooo much fun, then our bus driver dropped us off at Margaritaville for 90 minutes before returning us to the ship. He even walked us town the street to a few shops to get souvenirs. We found that bus driver and the guides at the ziplines to be wonderful friendly sweet funny happy people. It would have been a shame to have missed that port. We enjoyed it so much we plan to go back to Jamaica for sure.

video I did of zipline:

photos:

2015_JamaicaZipline2.jpg

view from Margaritaville... our ship, Carnival Freedom is off in distance on left side

2015_JamaicaZipline2.jpg

the swim area at Margaritaville

2015_JamaicaZipline22.jpg

walking in jungle from one zipline tower to another...