Review of The Salty Dog

Princessmich

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day Pacific Coastal on the Crown Princess. We received an invitation from the Maitre'd who we enjoyed on a previous cruise to attend the "soft" opening of the new Gastropub. This will only be offered on the Crown, Ruby and Emerald and was in the Wheelhouse Bar. There will be a cover charge of $19 which I felt is very reasonable. You get to choose 3 plates but between my dh and I we sampled 4 dishes. There is a complimentary appetizer of bread sticks with beer-cheddar fondue (a bit on the rich side) but we also got another appetizer of fries with 3 dipping sauces with a prosciutto/salad. I must say the presentation and servers knowledge of the dishes were outstanding. We sampled the Spicy beef short ribs ( not to spicy), lobster mac & cheese (could have used a little more lobster) the charred asparagus & toasted haloumi cheese and the roasted cauliflower which was not our favorite. Somehow the flavors did not jive well with cauliflower (imho) We thought everything else was delicious! And then came desserts:eek:which were amazing! I had the lemon posset ( like a custard) with a pistachio crunch and dh had the coffee & doughnuts, both were wonderful! I hope all my pictures can do this pub some justice. We were so grateful to be invited to this new venue!

Thank you for posting this. Although much smaller (in variety as well as price), the menu reminds me a bit of QSine on Celebrity.

I don't have any cruises booked on the ships that will be hosting this, but if so, I would love to try those crab cakes and calamari options.

This is honestly the most interesting thing I've seen Princess do with dining in the 35 years I've been sailing with them. (Hush, I was practically a babe in arms for those first half-dozen).

I really love the small plates concept, and even though the short-lived "small plates / large plates" concept in the MDR never took off, there's no reason it can't work in a smaller venue. My finicky DH and I can find both common ground (sharesies!) and something we really crave but the other can't/won't eat (which is great). This is what I would expect to find in a casually upscale gastropub or wine bar in Seattle, and that's a high bar to hit.

Thanks so much for the post and the photos. I am *really* hoping this makes it to Ruby before our two upcoming trips later this year.

We were on the same sailing. When we first saw all the high tables, requiring people to sit on tall bar stools I was very disappointed. I have always enjoyed the atmosphere of the low tables and comfortable dark chairs. The new High white tables and high white stools seemed very out of place in that environment, like a newlyweds house with two different tastes in furniture. There were a few low tables available, for listening to the entertainment, but the first section of low tables and couches was taken over every night by a group of about 30 people.

We were told the $19 charge and looked at the menu, but did not feel the charge would be worth what appeared to be offered. The menu did not show the salad that came with the meal. While we were sitting listening to the guitarist a couple we had met earlier came over to tell us that the food was very good. When I asked if it was worth the charge they said it was free this week.

I asked the waiter if we could try the food and was told we would need to sit on the high tables. This cruise I needed to use my walker and my DH needed his cane, and those stools would not work for us, so I asked to have the food at the low table. I was told if I was not able to sit at the high tables we could not order the food. I pointed out that people who sit in wheelchairs may not be able to sit in those chairs either and I was told handicapped people could not get the food. This really made me feel angry. So we left.

The next night I was still bothered by their attitude and we were walking by the Wheelhouse so I stopped and spoke with the man who appeared to be in charge. He said he would allow us to eat at low table the next night, but they might be charging the fee.

I convinced my DH to try it another night if it was free. After we determined there would be no charge we asked to be sat at the low tables, he was not pleased. I agree the tables are very small for this type of service, but to not have seating that can accommodate people with disabilities is unacceptable.

The food was good, especially the very crispy, onion bread sticks, and wonderful beer cheese fondue. We had the lobster Mac and cheese, one very small bite of lobster. The hamburger was very flavorful, with layers of flavor, but watch out for the jalapeno. The beet and goat cheese seemed to be missing the goat cheese (but there was rumors not enough of it on board). The mushroom dish had salad under the mushrooms and a poached egg encased in crust, it was delicious. The grilled cheese with white tomato soup was fantastic, but the sandwich was only two small fingers, probably equal to half of a sandwich. For desert we had a small bowl the had a rich, dark chocolate mousse, similar to the Love Boat Dream dessert in the MDR, a very satisfying end to the meal.

I would like to eat there again, if they had larger low tables, the one we had worked for two, but would not work for a larger party. I also feel the price is a little high. In the other fee restaurants you are getting Lobster tails, or a expensive cut of meat. At ten dollars I feel the place would be packed every night.

I would like to try it again and sample other dishes.

I've always considered Princess Cruises to be very accessible. Now I'm hearing that the Salty Dog may not be so.

I am physically unable to get onto a high stool to eat. Just not going to happen, for several reasons. I'm sure I'm not the only one. We're going on Crown in December, and I hope they rethink this by then, because I/we were planning to eat there.

i've been on Crown several times, happily, because it it much more accessible than the other (earlier) Princess ships I've been on. I know this doesn't matter to most of you, but how would you like to compete for only six accessible seats, all in the back of the theater, to go see a show? That was my choice before Crown Princess.

I hope Princess is not taking a step backwards. But if I find that they are unable to accommodate me (and I'm really not asking for much, only a "normal" height table to eat from),I'll definitely file a complaint. Hopefully if enough of us do, they will change things.

I'd hate to have to miss Salty Dog. I hope they fix things before we get there.

M.

"I pointed out that people who sit in wheelchairs may not be able to sit in those chairs either and I was told handicapped people could not get the food."

Really Princess??? This is absurd!!

Edited by Murphey

I've always considered Princess Cruises to be very accessible. Now I'm hearing that the Salty Dog may not be so.

I am physically unable to get onto a high stool to eat. Just not going to happen, for several reasons. I'm sure I'm not the only one. We're going on Crown in December, and I hope they rethink this by then, because I/we were planning to eat there.

i've been on Crown several times, happily, because it it much more accessible than the other (earlier) Princess ships I've been on. I know this doesn't matter to most of you, but how would you like to compete for only six accessible seats, all in the back of the theater, to go see a show? That was my choice before Crown Princess.

I hope Princess is not taking a step backwards. But if I find that they are unable to accommodate me (and I'm really not asking for much, only a "normal" height table to eat from),I'll definitely file a complaint. Hopefully if enough of us do, they will change things.

I'd hate to have to miss Salty Dog. I hope they fix things before we get there.

M.

If you liked the accessibility of the Crown then you should try the Royal or Regal. We don't have issues but we have traveled with DBIL and remember being in the back of the Princess Theater with him. Some of the best seats in the Princess Theater are reserved for wheelchairs with great access in the two new ships. I think every door has an automatic operator and there is access to the Sanctuary without using that lift on the Crown Edited by IECalCruiser

That sounds great, but they are on the right coast and I'm on the left. And I don't fly that far any more.

But it is good to hear that Princess is moving in the right direction. Mostly.

M.

If you liked the accessibility of the Crown then you should try the Royal or Regal. We don't have issues but we have traveled with DBIL and remember being in the back of the Princess Theater with him. Some of the best seats in the Princess Theater are reserved for wheelchairs with great access in the two new ships. I think every door has an automatic operator and there is access to the Sanctuary without using that lift on the Crown

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day Pacific Coastal on the Crown Princess. We received an invitation from the Maitre'd who we enjoyed on a previous cruise to attend the "soft" opening of the new Gastropub. This will only be offered on the Crown, Ruby and Emerald and was in the Wheelhouse Bar. There will be a cover charge of $19 which I felt is very reasonable. You get to choose 3 plates but between my dh and I we sampled 4 dishes. There is a complimentary appetizer of bread sticks with beer-cheddar fondue (a bit on the rich side) but we also got another appetizer of fries with 3 dipping sauces with a prosciutto/salad. I must say the presentation and servers knowledge of the dishes were outstanding. We sampled the Spicy beef short ribs ( not to spicy), lobster mac & cheese (could have used a little more lobster) the charred asparagus & toasted haloumi cheese and the roasted cauliflower which was not our favorite. Somehow the flavors did not jive well with cauliflower (imho) We thought everything else was delicious! And then came desserts:eek:which were amazing! I had the lemon posset ( like a custard) with a pistachio crunch and dh had the coffee & doughnuts, both were wonderful! I hope all my pictures can do this pub some justice. We were so grateful to be invited to this new venue!

Michelle,

Thanks for posting this info about the Salty Dog. I hope I can talk my DH into it on our December cruise.

We hope you had a great cruise!

Janis

I'm with you. No way am I going to try to climb up on those high stools. Sometimes I really wonder what Princess was thinking in some of the decisions they make. Also it sounds like they have ruined the appearance of the Wheelhouse.

I'm with you. No way am I going to try to climb up on those high stools. Sometimes I really wonder what Princess was thinking in some of the decisions they make.

My guess is that this was not a "Princess" decision, but poor thinking by the Wheelhouse staff on the Crown.

So, any word if the Pub Lunch will still be offered in the Wheel House Bar?

Edit: OK, saw the other posts on this subject. Looks like that sinse the GastroPub is a dinner event and the Pub Lunch is, obviously lunch, probably still an option. As far as happy hour, it would seem that it is early enough to not be affected by the new event either. We will be on the Ruby in January, so, I guess we will find out for sure then.

I'm on the Crown now & our sea day between SF & SB had the Pub Lunch today in the Crown Grill and a Mexican buffet in Cafe Caribe.

I'm with you. No way am I going to try to climb up on those high stools. Sometimes I really wonder what Princess was thinking in some of the decisions they make. Also it sounds like they have ruined the appearance of the Wheelhouse.

My guess is they are trying to cater to a wide range of shapes and sizes. I for one am happy with the tall seating. Can't tell you how tired I am of cramming my 6 ft 8 in tall body into small uncomfortable seating. Looking forward to trying the Salty Dog.

So, with the addition of this, Lobster Grill, Crab Shack, Fondue, etc, seems like Princess is going the NCL route of many "fee" dining options. They all seem to be just revenue centers to me. Guess I'm just a cheapo ;)

But help me understand what the issue is. Nothing was taken away meal wise for free, but they have provided more options for foodies. And if NCL can make a buck and provide a better eating experience on a cheap fare more power to them. Seems like a winner to me, and an oportunity for some variety, not the same MD, Steak Place, Itallian place.

If you look at the picture there is table seating. And jsut to go out on a limb and anticipating further posts, I suspect there will be no effect on Noro or hand washing!

Sometimes I wonder how Princess can ever keep up with the times with such a vocal minority nit picking about every change.

Edited by MrMan

But help me understand what the issue is. Nothing was taken away meal wise for free, but they have provided more options for foodies. And if NCL can make a buck and provide a better eating experience on a cheap fare more power to them. Seems like a winner to me, and an oportunity for some variety, not the same MD, Steak Place, Itallian place.

If you look at the picture there is table seating. And jsut to go out on a limb and anticipating further posts, I suspect there will be no effect on Noro or hand washing!

Sometimes I wonder how Princess can ever keep up with the times with such a vocal minority nit picking about every change.

I believe that one issue is that the Wheelhouse Bar used to be a free entertainment venue for music in the evening. There still appears to be some limited seating for people who just want to enjoy the music.