What to do in Malaga

campolady

Could I ask about public transport? Our accommodation for our long weekend looks to be a little way from central up a hill on Camilo del Colmenar. Can we pay cash on buses or will we need to buy a prepay card? Also wondered best way from airport to city centre.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Could I ask about public transport? Our accommodation for our long weekend looks to be a little way from central up a hill on Camilo del Colmenar. Can we pay cash on buses or will we need to buy a prepay card? Also wondered best way from airport to city centre.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You pay on the bus - drivers won't accept anything above a 10 Euro note.

You have 2 options from the airport - bus or train. The bus leaves a short walk from 'Arrivals' at street level and the train station is just 50 metres or so further on; the route to the station and bus stop is well signposted. Buses run every 30 minutes (delays due to traffic are not unknown) and trains go every 20 minutes. Personally, we always use the train as the journey time is quicker and they have more seating available (you may well have to stand on the bus). The train fare is actually slightly cheaper than the bus - think it was 1.85 Euro per person when we last did it in November; there are escalators down to the airport railway station and up at Malaga. The bus station and main train station (Maria Zambrano) in Malaga centre are next door to each other BUT if you want the old city, stay on the train one stop further until it terminates at Alameda. Railway tickets need to be purchased at the machine - very simple - or manned kiosk at the top of the escalator before you descend to the platform.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

As always very useful information. Much appreciated. 24 days & counting [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote

You are most welcome.

If you use the train, then want to transfer to a bus up to your accommodation (looking at the map Camino del Colmenar is just over 1.5km from the city centre), turn left as you come up the escalator and walk straight through the shopping mall. The bus station is immediately opposite the far exit.

• 2 weeks later...
As always very useful information. Much appreciated. 24 days & counting [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote

You are most welcome.

If you use the train, then want to transfer to a bus up to your accommodation (looking at the map Camino del Colmenar is just over 1.5km from the city centre), turn left as you come up the escalator and walk straight through the shopping mall. The bus station is immediately opposite the far exit.

Hi Campolady,

I wanted to confirm the bus number to get to the castle from the port. When I go to the Malaga bus web site it shows bus 35 goes to the castle and bus 34 heads off to the east, not to the castle. So do I want to take bus 35 to the castle?

Hi Campolady,

I wanted to confirm the bus number to get to the castle from the port. When I go to the Malaga bus web site it shows bus 35 goes to the castle and bus 34 heads off to the east, not to the castle. So do I want to take bus 35 to the castle?

Oops - thank you, I hadn't noticed that I had hit the wrong key when writing my initial post. Yes, it is bus 35 you want not 34.

Oops - thank you, I hadn't noticed that I had hit the wrong key when writing my initial post. Yes, it is bus 35 you want not 34.

Thanks for the quick reply and all the information you have provided! It is greatly appreciated!

Walk from the cruise terminal to the castle 15 mins. Then the Picasso museum 10 mins

My goodness - you must be super-fit! No way could I climb up to the castle in 15 minutes; it takes me that long to get out of the port!

Edited by campolady

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was thinking that it would be good to see some flamenco when we're in Malaga (12 days [emoji2][emoji2]). Can you recommend anywhere?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was thinking that it would be good to see some flamenco when we're in Malaga (12 days [emoji2][emoji2]). Can you recommend anywhere?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Highly recommended http://www.flamencotickets.com/tablao-flamenco-los-amayas-malaga - truly authentic (not the dreadful tourist Flamenco you get in hotel shows).

Edited by campolady

For all the art lovers, there is a really interesting art neighborhood in Malaga called Soho. Looks neat. I'll check it out in a couple of weeks when I'm there.

http://mausmalaga.com/eng/#ElPlano

Some great/innovative wall art in that area - many of the artists are very talented and Malaga University is famed for its Art department. BUT some of the Artist Quarter is not in the best area of Malaga so keep your wits about you when veering off the main thoroughfares; stick to the art venues around the Alameda Principal and Parque del Mar - short distances from the port - and you will be fine.

Edited by campolady

Some great/innovative wall art in that area - many of the artists are very talented and Malaga University is famed for its Art department. BUT some of the Artist Quarter is not in the best area of Malaga so keep your wits about you when veering off the main thoroughfares; stick to the art venues around the Alameda Principal and Parque del Mar - short distances from the port - and you will be fine.

thanks for the wonderful tip. :D

You have been so helpful to all of us & I hate to bother you with ever more questions but.....

We did a fabulous, wonderful, amazing walking food tour in Barcelona (the Gracia neighborhood) with "devour spain" I found it because an NPR show did a segment on the tour last fall. Now they have started one in Malaga & I'm thinking of booking it for the day we are there on a port call (long port call - 8 am - 11 pm.) It starts at the Plaza de la Constitcion at 10:30 am. So my question is about the location of it in relation to the port. Seabourn generally runs a shuttle to the center of town in each port so I think we could get to the center but will need to find it from there. Of course there is always a taxi I suppose. As always your advice is much appreciated.

You have been so helpful to all of us & I hate to bother you with ever more questions but.....

We did a fabulous, wonderful, amazing walking food tour in Barcelona (the Gracia neighborhood) with "devour spain" I found it because an NPR show did a segment on the tour last fall. Now they have started one in Malaga & I'm thinking of booking it for the day we are there on a port call (long port call - 8 am - 11 pm.) It starts at the Plaza de la Constitcion at 10:30 am. So my question is about the location of it in relation to the port. Seabourn generally runs a shuttle to the center of town in each port so I think we could get to the center but will need to find it from there. Of course there is always a taxi I suppose. As always your advice is much appreciated.

It is very easy to get to the Plaza de la Constitucion which is situated at the top of the main pedestrianized street Calle Marques de Larios (often shown on maps just as Calle Larios). http://www.malagaturismo.com/en/tourist-resources/detail/plaza-de-la-constitucion/69

If you take the shuttle bus provided by the port it will drop you off by the park which is just across the road from Calle Larios. No more than a 5 minutes walk from there to the Plaza.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Oh dear - we all try to keep that article supressed lol! Many people don't want Malaga becoming the new Barcelona; it is uniquely Andalucian with restaurants and bars mostly catering for local residents rather than tourists - and priced accordingly.

Joking apart, Malaga really is a fascinating place which is why it is such a shame that most cruise passengers just use it as a place to dock then visit Granada.

Oh dear - we all try to keep that article supressed lol! Many people don't want Malaga becoming the new Barcelona; it is uniquely Andalucian with restaurants and bars mostly catering for local residents rather than tourists - and priced accordingly.

Joking apart, Malaga really is a fascinating place which is why it is such a shame that most cruise passengers just use it as a place to dock then visit Granada.

Just realized that article is from 2015 :eek::eek::eek:

came up on my newfeed on facebook this morning. Thought it was an interesting read and thought I'd share. :D

Highly recommended http://www.flamencotickets.com/tablao-flamenco-los-amayas-malaga - truly authentic (not the dreadful tourist Flamenco you get in hotel shows).

Campolady,

We are staying in Torremolinas end of September beginning of October for a week. I took a look at the link you provided and I see there are several Flamenco shows in the area. Can you tell me how the Flamenco show in Torremolinas compares? Is it better to go into Malaga? I'd like to book it for my aunt and uncles' anniversary, so want to be sure to book the best one to make their anniversary something special.

Thanks for all the information you've been posting--it's been a great help!

Campolady,

We are staying in Torremolinas end of September beginning of October for a week. I took a look at the link you provided and I see there are several Flamenco shows in the area. Can you tell me how the Flamenco show in Torremolinas compares? Is it better to go into Malaga? I'd like to book it for my aunt and uncles' anniversary, so want to be sure to book the best one to make their anniversary something special.

Thanks for all the information you've been posting--it's been a great help!

No need to go into Malaga as Torremolinos has an excellent Flamenco show

http://www.flamencotickets.com/taberna-flamenca-pepe-lopez-torremolinos-malaga

This is not tourist Flamenco with a meal - OK you do get a 'free' drink on arrival but that's about it - but all the better for that as you know that the spectators are genuinely there to enjoy the show not to have a boozy pseudo Spanish night out.

The only thing to note is that the show doesn't start until 10 p.m. and goes on for a good 2 hours - as the seating is not the most comfortable take a cushion from your hotel!

We regularly enjoy a few nights away in Torremolinos - which hotel are you staying at?

Edited by campolady

No need to go into Malaga as Torremolinos has an excellent Flamenco show

http://www.flamencotickets.com/taberna-flamenca-pepe-lopez-torremolinos-malaga

We regularly enjoy a few nights away in Torremolinos - which hotel are you staying at?

We are at the Melia Costa del Sol. There six of us, me, my sister-in-law, my parents, and my aunt and uncle who are coming from Japan. My sister-in-law speaks English and Spanish, my dad and I speak English, my mother speaks English and Japanese, and my aunt and uncle speak Japanese. It'll be interesting with three-way translations going on...lol.

Thank you so much for all the information you post. It's been wonderful following all the great tips and things to do you've shared, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Donna

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk