1982 Brochure on Countess/Princess

legion3

Love it. My sister and I sailed on the Cunard Princess in 1992 with our Grandmother. [emoji5]️

I was on Princess November 1992. 10 day canaries cruise from Malaga.

First ever cruise as a 25yo. Had a SS share with an elderly American man.

Met a lovely older couple from Southampton who I did keep in Xmas card contact for a number of years.

Another couple, he ran a market garden from Essex somewhere

And finally a newlywed couple from Inverness.

Oh and a really sweet old lady I accompanied to Captains cocktail party.

The deck plans brought back some memories. Unfortunately I can't remember my cabin number. Tho was upgraded from inside to outside deck 3 I think.

£995 for 10 nights incl flights Scotland to gatwick to Malaga.

Grant x

Ps do you think Cunard will be able find my details and add this to my upcoming cruise?

Ps do you think Cunard will be able find my details and add this to my upcoming cruise?

You need to call the World Club representative. They added my Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth crossings. The records exist but take some digging on their part.:D

That's a reality check! One had to book a "deluxe" stateroom just to get a real bed!

Cunard Princess is still sailing as Golden Iris. Cunard Countess had a later career as Ocean Countess but two years ago she burned out from water line to funnel.

Edited by BlueRiband

Oh happy days! We sailed twice on each of Cunard Countess and Cunard Princess from 1990 through to 1994. Although all but identical we preferred the Countess because we did the cruises on her in the Caribbean - our first trips there followed by many more over the years on other ships, our love affair with the Caribbean all started because of the Countess cruises.

I think in the 1990's we all (and I am generalising here but it certainly applied to us!) had lower expectations and the small cabins with their awful tinny drawers were fine then. And a balcony? No chance! They hardly existed then so we did not miss them - now we would not cruise without one.

Our favourite room was the "in and out" bar as we called it at the stern of the ship with the inside lounge having the facility to open to the elements with full width sliding doors leaving you free to wander in and out at will.

One key memory.........Hey - we are in the Caribbean and it is Wednesday afternoon. That means it is Rum Punch party on the outer part of the "in and out" bar!!

We occasionally look misty eyed at the video of those cruises - even though I am sure if we were able to see the Cunard Princess in her current Golden Iris days we would think it was very basic.

Back then it was heaven and, as I said, HAPPY DAYS!!

I was on Princess November 1992. 10 day canaries cruise from Malaga.

First ever cruise as a 25yo. Had a SS share with an elderly American man.

Met a lovely older couple from Southampton who I did keep in Xmas card contact for a number of years.

Another couple, he ran a market garden from Essex somewhere

And finally a newlywed couple from Inverness.

Oh and a really sweet old lady I accompanied to Captains cocktail party.

The deck plans brought back some memories. Unfortunately I can't remember my cabin number. Tho was upgraded from inside to outside deck 3 I think.

£995 for 10 nights incl flights Scotland to gatwick to Malaga.

Grant x

I think we were on a September sailing from Venice visiting Istanbul and many of the Greek islands sailing back from Athens.

We were certainly the youngest passengers and dined on a table of 10 all American. We have some very funny stories, not least of our eccentric Grandmother!

We were in an inside cabin, my sister and me in bunks, looking at the deck plan we must have been on deck 3, but I can't remember the cabin number either.

I remember the "in and out" lounge Princess Pete talks about I think. Was this where afternoon tea was served?

We have great fun on that cruise! First time back on Cunard next month.....

Edited by Ehg

Cunard Princess is still sailing as Golden Iris.
A couple of years ago we sailed past Golden Iris in Venice and I thought she looked familiar. It took a few moments to realise what I was looking at.

Oh happy days! ...the small cabins with their awful tinny drawers
... those aluminium trimmed, formica furnishings and curtains instead of wardrobe doors:)

I think we were on a September sailing from Venice visiting Istanbul and many of the Greek islands sailing back from Athens.
12th - 26th Sept 1992? Venice, Katakolon, Heraklion, Rhodes, Alexandria, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Lesbos, Mykonos and Athens? Now there's a coincidence!

Regards, Colin.

I'll try and get time to upload my video to Youtube. You never know. You might see yourself.

12th - 26th Sept 1992? Venice, Katakolon, Heraklion, Rhodes, Alexandria, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Lesbos, Mykonos and Athens? Now there's a coincidence!

Regards, Colin.

I'll try and get time to upload my video to Youtube. You never know. You might see yourself.

YES!! I've just dug out my diary from 1992, exactly that sailing. I've found our cruise card and other stuff, I'll take some photographs and post them for you. I take it you were on the same trip. Amazing. I'd love to see your video. My sister and I found a video of The Golden Iris on YouTube and enjoyed watching that, but to see the actual cruise we were on would be fantastic! Please let me know if you do post it? [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

I didn't know the Princess and Countess were sister ships. My Grandmother had taken our younger sister on a cruise on the Vistafjord earlier that same summer and the Princess didn't seem to measure up, she would often say "it wasn't like this on the Vista, love"! [emoji23]

I didn't know the Princess and Countess were sister ships. My Grandmother had taken our younger sister on a cruise on the Vistafjord earlier that same summer and the Princess didn't seem to measure up, she would often say "it wasn't like this on the Vista, love"! [emoji23]

CUNARD PRINCESS and CUNARD COUNTESS were fairly budget cruise ships. High density, low ceilings, very small cabins, one step up from a ferry. They were the same breed as NCL's "White Ships" and Royal Caribbean's first ships (SONG OF NORWAY, NORDIC PRINCE, SUN VIKING) but perhaps not even as nice. The Royal Viking ships and Flagship Cruises ships (eventually to become PACIFIC PRINCESS and ISLAND PRINCESS) of the same era were a step up in terms of physical hardware, but not by much.

VISTAFJORD and SAGAFJORD were in another league. Liner-like quality and built to a very high standard. They were more luxurious in their outfitting. Larger cabins, higher ceilings, lower density … all around fabulous ships. Your grandmother knew what she was talking about!

CUNARD PRINCESS and CUNARD COUNTESS were fairly budget cruise ships. High density, low ceilings, very small cabins, one step up from a ferry. They were the same breed as NCL's "White Ships" and Royal Caribbean's first ships (SONG OF NORWAY, NORDIC PRINCE, SUN VIKING) but perhaps not even as nice. The Royal Viking ships and Flagship Cruises ships (eventually to become PACIFIC PRINCESS and ISLAND PRINCESS) of the same era were a step up in terms of physical hardware, but not by much.

VISTAFJORD and SAGAFJORD were in another league. Liner-like quality and built to a very high standard. They were more luxurious in their outfitting. Larger cabins, higher ceilings, lower density … all around fabulous ships. Your grandmother knew what she was talking about!

And so do you! She was a huge cruise fan, actually specifically Cunard, she sailed on the QE2 as well and I'm sure she is responsible for my love of cruising. At the time my sister and I were quite well enough impressed with the Princess, we had a great time. [emoji5]️

OK. Apologies for the picture quality. It's been transferred from video8, to VHS, to DVD, and now to Youtube and it's lost a little bit each time.

Also, it seems to have split into 3 parts as it came off the DVD, so here's

. Parts 2 & 3 to follow.

You never realise how much older you're getting untill you look at old photos:eek:

Colin.

Fab! I wish I could remember sailing out of Venice! I didn't see myself but I think my sister might have been the girl in the bikini with her back to the camera around 5:20 minutes in....? I look forward to the next parts......[emoji2]

I have one of the first brochures ever printed for these ships in my collection. I love inaugural brochures and try to save them all.

8046494660_ce5e53cb4f_b.jpg

Epic, wish I could get a copy of that...

We cruised on the Countess in August 1977 (the week Elvis died)

San Juan- at sea- Caracas - Grenada - Barbados - St. Lucia - St. Thomas - San Juan.

Eastern Airlines L-1011 aircraft with a movie (smokey and the Bandit) from Tampa to San Juan.

A great and memorable family vacation.

I wish cruise lines still had the air add-on deals they used to have.

I think my sister might have been the girl in the bikini with her back to the camera around 5:20 minutes in....?

Is that also her at 8:38?

and

I've also been digging through our stash of treasures. We were in 4010 and paid £1515 each. (ouch!) Cocktails were all $3.00, $5 in a souvenir glass (we still have, and use, all four that we brought home), spirits were $2.95 - $5.00(Chivas Regal 21YO). The largest item on our bar bill was $24 which I suspect was after dinner drinks for all eight of us at the table:D

My Grandmother had taken our younger sister on a cruise on the Vistafjord earlier that same summer and the Princess didn't seem to measure up, she would often say "it wasn't like this on the Vista, love"! [emoji23]
I think your sister got the better deal:D

First time back on Cunard next month.....
Wow! I think you'll notice some changes. Which ship? Where to?

As we sailed out of Venice in '92 we passed Crown Odyssey and we were pretty impressed so we tried that the following year but although it was nice and shiny and new it wasn't the same so it was back to Cunard again.

In '95 we booked the Princess again but they sold it and we were moved to Sagafjord. In '96 we booked Sagafjord again but they sold it and we were moved to Crown Dynasty. In '97 we tried to book the Dynasty again but ... Yep, they sold it. So we went on Vistafjord and managed to get in nine cruises before they sold her. So far we've managed to sail on 10 Cunard ships so you could say the Princess has a lot to answer for.

Regards, Colin.

We sailed CUNARD PRINCESS one way New York to Bermuda with a return by air. At that time (1989) you could buy a directional segment as well as the 7 day round trip.

Having sailed SAGAFJORD in 1986, the CUNARD PRINCESS was obviously in a different league in all respects, but we enjoyed it nonetheless and I don't really recall anything negative.

Ah how I loved the midnight buffets.

Queueing up from about 11.30pm to get in and view the spectacle that was the gala buffet or chocoholics midnight buffet.

Wonderful creations that you couldn't imagine.

Then once the viewing/photo op was finished you queued back up to enter and demolish the buffet.

I remember frogs legs ( I never did try them)

Alas these grand affairs have been cut out in search of savings (the food waste musta e been huge)

Alex did have the experience on our first cruise together on the Airtours Sunbird (formerly RCI Song of America)

He was gob smacked as was I first time I saw it. Unfortunately cut backs were already kicking in and it was only the once (or maybe twice) during the 7 night cruise

The Sunbird became Thimson Destiny and that was the gala buffet gone!

Anyhow fond memories.

Grant x

Hi Colin,

No, that isn't her at 8:38, but my eagle-eyed sister did spot the 3 of us in the background in Knossos (12 minutes) pointing!

This has made our day! We are in the 2nd video of the 3 at 10:05 dancing (throwing each other about!!) I love the filming of the Achille Lauro, I have a photograph of my grandmother pointing at it and laughing! Your cabin was very grand compared with ours. ImageUploadedByForums1444928915.566380.jpg.1546c212a629b5f29177d7ce70760911.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1444928960.933863.jpg.fb192f15f34a8c73bdc40a2520c2dbd7.jpg us in Mykonos.

We're on QV Canaries cruise on November 16th. Can't wait. [emoji3]

Edited by Ehg

... but my eagle-eyed sister did spot the 3 of us in the background in Knossos (12 minutes) pointing!
Eagle eyed is right:D

We are in the 2nd video of the 3 at 10:05 dancing (throwing each other about!!)
Ah. The Turkish Delight Sailaway Party (according to the daily programme). That's one of the differences you may notice. The sailaway party drinks are no longer complimentary. Also the clip from the restaurant reminds me that meals are no longer served "silver service".

We're on QV Canaries cruise on November 16th. Can't wait.
On The plus side, it looks like 14 nights in 2015 are cheaper than 14 nights in 1992 (possibly less than 2/3rds the price depending on the type of fare deal you get).

Have a great time and please tell us all about it when you get back.

Regards, Colin.

P.S. And many thanks legion3 for posting that