Long Flights - Compression Socks

yoshi

The thread on Women's clothes for long flights had some interesting points about compression socks.

I know there are both otc and prescription compression socks available-my question is would support pantyhose work similarly to compression socks? I don't mind wearing pantyhose as much as knee high socks.

The problem with support panty hose is that they also compress the abdomen, which is where you need the blood from your legs to go. You are much better off wearing the knee highs which have pressure gradients built in to encourage blood return rather than blood pooling, which is what leads to clots.

Just as important: foot pumps exercises, getting up and stretching every two hours and drinking lots of decaffeinated, non alcoholic beverages.

Youngest patient I have had who had blood clots from flying was 22 years old.

I have been wearing some kind of compression socks since we started flying long flights (to Australia, Japan, South Africa, India, etc.). I took the need even more seriously when I had a knee replacement. My favorite compression knee highs are made by Sockwell.

Compression tights do not compress the abdomen like support pantyhose do, or spanx or similar. At least not the ones I've owned. The compression is all in the legs. So in answer to the original question, I'd have to say no, they're not the same.

I looked into compression socks, for my wife and I, before we took the 17 hour non stop flight from Dallas to Sidney and back. Here is what I learned:

1. They need to be properly sized to the individual. It is not a one size fits all. I am tall and lean and none of the otc socks would properly fit me so to perform the needed task. Even the standard sizes of small, medium, and large may not be a proper fit more most people.

2. If you can't buy the otc socks, then special orders are much more expensive.

3. The pharmacist told me that unless I had previous problems with clots, it was probably better to do as recommended above and just get up and walk around at least every four hours, do some stretching and moving about. The lounge, in the front of our AB 380 was a convenient place to do this in that it was almost always empty. The back wait area was also available.

I'll wear the compression socks & get up for stretching. Hopefully fellow passengers will also do the same & don't think I'm strange.

I wonder if airlines will ever put in a couple of stationary bike areas to encourage stretching?

OMG. Do women actually still wear pantyhose? :eek:

I haven't worn them for > 30 years! NO, they are nothing like compression hose. There are several different types. I have some with copper and hemp in them. Some are Morino Wool. Most are synthetic materials. You need to try different types to see which feels best on your legs. People can get blood clots no matter what their age. I have high cholesterol so I always wear them. ;)

I also recently read that you should wear them the next day after landing. :D

Well worth the time and expense. You need to walk around the aircraft every HOUR, not 4 hours! ;)

Edited by Di Princess

I'll wear the compression socks & get up for stretching. Hopefully fellow passengers will also do the same & don't think I'm strange.

I wonder if airlines will ever put in a couple of stationary bike areas to encourage stretching?

Love it, a fitness center on an aircraft, that would be real first class.

As senior guy, I generally have to get up to visit the toilet frequently, so I generally stretch as well. I like to do stretching exercises and find the area near the toilets have space where you won't disturb other passengers. Of course, if there is a queue waiting for the toilet, that is a problem.

We are leaving on our trip to Japan tomorrow and have a flight from Atlanta to Tokyo, which is more than 14 hours. Still better than having to stop at LAX or Seattle. I will pull out those compression socks.

I drink a ton of water, so I always get an aisle seat so I can easily get to the restroom:D Kill two or three birds with one stone.

(and yes, women still wear hose, and lots more wear tights - which can also come in compression or support;)) No judgement around here, ok?

My feet swelled something awful on a trip to London. With all the walking I did, my feet never went down so that now I remember what should have been a great trip with a wince.

My doctor recommended compression socks and I wear them for all flights and have never had swollen feet again.

One of the previous posters mentioned that they are not one size fits all. I went with a company that matches your measurements with the socks. Foot, calf, ankle, and ankle to knee are the necessary measurements.Then, you have to select the amount of compression you want. I like Jobst and Sigvaris.

They are expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

Interesting reading these posts. I tend to get a lot of swelling in my feet despite the fact that I don't drink alcohol, drink mainly water the whole flight, get up often to go to the bathroom and do in-seat stretches every so often. My feet feel like balloons when I get off an 11 hr. flight. Maybe it's time to try those socks. :confused:

My knee-high compression stockings are on and I'm ready to fly. I usually don't have any swelling issues but after 2 friends came back from their European trips with swollen ankles I decided it was time to purchase them!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting reading these posts. I tend to get a lot of swelling in my feet despite the fact that I don't drink alcohol, drink mainly water the whole flight, get up often to go to the bathroom and do in-seat stretches every so often. My feet feel like balloons when I get off an 11 hr. flight. Maybe it's time to try those socks. :confused:

Couldn't hurt!!! I also remove my shoes, or at least untie the laces to accommodate the fluid build-up, that like you, I get whether I drink water or wine; walk or sit; stretch or sleep! :D