Quick Q re: dinner times

Two weeks till my first cruise! And while I should be working, my mind is wandering and thinking about how all this cruise business will work.

My DS and I have a fixed dinner reservation for 6pm, a table just for the two of us. Well, that's what I've asked for.

I'm assuming I should treat it as I would a normal restaurant booking - aim to get there on time or a bit early, not stress about being a bit late (15-20 mins tops?).

Is that a fair assumption, or do things work differently on board? What do I do if we're really running late or change our minds and decide to go somewhere else?

Many thanks

Claire

I'm also new to cruising so I don't know for sure but I would stress about being 20 minutes late. There may be people with "anytime" dining waiting for a table and you'd arrive to find your table gone. I'm interested to see what the experienced cruisers say.

Thanks ozscot.

I think on the ship we're on, the fixed and anytime dining rooms are separate, so I don't think we run the risk of losing the table, but there's a possibility we'd affect the second sitting if late. I'm just not sure how late is late.

The reason I ask is that I'm travelling with a 10yo who can be a bit hard to get off whatever activity he's doing and into 'get yourself ready for dinner' mode. It's usually quite stressful, and stress is something I'm very much hoping to avoid on this cruise. We'll butt heads less and my blood pressure will remain healthy if I know I have a bit time of up my sleeve, or I can go "stuff it, we're going to the buffet" if it all gets too much. I think the little toerag actually enjoys it when he senses my tension levels are rising, and drags his feet even more.

Thanks

Claire

Do you mean the fixed traditional dining, not a reservation for anytime dining? If fixed, there is no guarantee you'll get your table for two. You don't find out your table assignment until you check in for your cruise. It's printed on your cruise card. You may end up at a table for ten.

It is important that you arrive on time for dinner (within five minutes maximum), particularly if you are seated with other people as the waiters will often wait until all diners at your table have arrived to take the meal orders. If you are late then the whole service for your table will be late and, when you have an early dining time this can result in your meal being rushed so that you don't delay the staff getting the dining room ready for the next sitting.

The dining room doors will be closed until 6pm so arriving too early only means you will wait in the queue outside. After a day or so you'll get the nack of timing it perfectly. Some cruise lines close off the dining room after a certain time - 20-30 minutes, so if you are very late you can't dine there. If you do end up at a big table it's a good idea to tell your waiter and the other diners not to wait for you if you haven't arrived in the first ten minutes.

OzKiwiJJ nailed it. It's also about the other passengers at your table who may have to wait to you arrive, or alternatively are out of sync with orders and meals at different times.

If you do wind up with a table for two you have a bit more flexibility with time since it's just you. But they are limited in number, and often hard to get. Also, I've been on many sailings where there isn't any capacity to change any tables as it's a full sailing and 6 p.m. seating is usually more popular, so you can't rely on being able to change.

The Golden will have a separate restaurant for Anytime dining, perhaps swap to Anytime if you think you won't be prompt to traditional fixed dining.

If you find you are on a larger table, as stated above, see the Maitre'd and try to get a table for two, do this as soon as you board if you need to swap.

There is always the buffet, which I believe on the Golden has been newly refit, most items are the same as served at dinner. Princess set their tables for night dining and there are waiters hovering for drink orders.

If you are on Traditional seating for dinner and decide not to go, call the dining room to let them know, even if you are dining alone, they will be waiting you!!!

Have fun!!

Two weeks till my first cruise! And while I should be working, my mind is wandering and thinking about how all this cruise business will work.

My DS and I have a fixed dinner reservation for 6pm, a table just for the two of us. Well, that's what I've asked for.

I'm assuming I should treat it as I would a normal restaurant booking - aim to get there on time or a bit early, not stress about being a bit late (15-20 mins tops?).

Is that a fair assumption, or do things work differently on board? What do I do if we're really running late or change our minds and decide to go somewhere else?

Many thanks

Claire

Try not to be late.

They used (I'm not sure if they still do, close the doors about 1/4 past.

It will also impact on your waitstaff and they need you out for the next seating.

If you decide not to eat in MDR it is nice if you pick up the phone and let the MDR know.

If you are at a table by yourselves I don't think it matters if you are a little late as long as you don't expect to be allowed to stay longer because you are late. The next sitting deserve to start on time.

As mentioned- if you are sharing a table it is common courtesy to be on time. If not attending I would let the others know so they do not wait for you.

Oh dear, we did our first cruise on Princess, we ate in the MDR probably 8-9 days out of 14, we were on a table for 8, I think 8 of us were there twice. Except the last night I am afraid we didn't advise anyone we weren't dining in MDR.

I can't say that I noticed that they waited for 8 people to be seated before serving drinks, taking orders. One night there we only 4 of us and we sat at opposite ends as we were not particularly compatible, the other couple arrive a good 20 minutes after us.

Sorry if habitual cruises think we were incorrect, we certainly weren't made to feel this in the MDR. It never crossed out minds to let MDR know we were going to the buffet or italian restuarant and I know from conversing for our fellow table diners they didn't notify them when they were dining elsewhere. We were on second sitting.

I have tried the main dining room with my son mr 6 but find it just as easy to eat at the Buffett.

With the main dining room it's best to arrive on time and dress nicely. You are normally placed on a table with people of a similar demographic ie young families with other young families.

We might even be on the same table as you and your son!

That would be lovely Esilef!

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I'm so glad I asked, it felt like such a silly question but it turned out all my assumptions were wrong! Didn't expect such a short window of time to get into the MDR or the expectations around letting them know if we change our plans.

You may be right hellyes. I chose traditional because I don't like queues, but am now wondering whether I should change it. It was the other thread on Sydney sailaways that got me thinking - we may still be out on deck enjoying the harbour too much to get changed and ready for 6.00pm dinner.

Clairbear, we love Anytime dining these days as we like to be flexible and like to dine just the two of us.

Bookings for Anytime dining can be booked from 8.30am until about 4pm I think on the dineline. I don't like queues either, thats why we book.

We usually work out what we want to do that day, what shows are on etc, then make a booking. If we have friends on board we can dine with them or eat on our own:)

Busy times are 6pm until 7.30pm.

So for sailaway days we would book an 8pm dinner, ports days maybe 7.30pm and seadays maybe 6pm depending what is on......just like a restaurant.

I remember all those people that missed sailing away from Bora Bora or Moorea because they had to rush to 6pm dinner:eek:

Chez

Edited by cheznandy

Thanks Chez, you've convinced me :)

Turns out we were still on the waitlist for traditional anyway. Now we can follow our whims on the first evening, even if it ends up being a burger and fries by the pool! And I didn't realise you could book Anytime, that's a great idea, we'll do that for the second day after working out they day's activities.

Turns out we were still on the waitlist for traditional anyway. Now we can follow our whims on the first evening, even if it ends up being a burger and fries by the pool! And I didn't realise you could book Anytime, that's a great idea, we'll do that for the second day after working out they day's activities.

Sounds like a great idea!!

I have always been able to book Anytime on the day, as it is a two nighter they may have a different system, it doesn't hurt to ask on day one, go and see the Maitre'd straight up and they will prob book you in for the second night:)

You can always get snacks at the buffet on Princess, unlike Royal who close theirs in between meal times. Princess seem to roll from breakfast to lunch to dinner, they may have one half closed while setting up the next meals.

In the afternoon look out for corn chips, guacamole, sliced cheeses, meats etc, you can make up a platter and take it out on deck. The Golden looks like there are lots more tables outside aft of the buffet than the Diamond/Sapphire.

At the international cafe on Plaza deck, the food is free, most people don't realise this as you have to buy coffee. In the mornings they make great egg n bacon muffins, bircher muesli and yoghurt, pastries, then they change it for lunch, when they serve salads and rolls and wraps etc

Chez

If you see a 6 yr old blond boy running and a woman chasing him that's me!