River Cruising with Tween/Teens

kcwiak

Hi all,

I did searches, using different terms, and I could not find anything except a great review about Tauck cruising with children. I was originally thinking a river cruise would be great for DH and I (not the kids), DH thinks it would be an amazing experience for them. They are good kids and have sailed the ocean several times. I am worried they will be bored

Can anyone recommend a river cruise line that is appropriate for kids their ages? Maybe even point me toward any reviews?

I really appreciate it!

Keri

Disney is getting ready to Partner with AMA for some river cruises. Please know at this time there are no cabins on the river that will accommodate more than 2 persons so you are looking at at least 2 cabins.

Edited by JVilleGal

AmaWaterways has partnered with Disney for specific cruises and may be just what you are looking for. I recommend using a good TA who knows river cruising. They will help you find the best fit. They offer connecting cabins.

Edited by caviargal

Other than the expense of two cabins, the kids, will probably be tired enough doing all of the active walking tours that they wouldn't be too bored on the ships. That said, there is no shipboard activities that are remotely like an ocean cruise.

I think it probably depends on the kids if they are used to being with adults or only kids.

jc

We are going on our 1st river cruise for Christmas this year so I only know what I have read on the boards. AMA has bicycles that you can take out for a ride along the river or into towns (probably not at Christmas-time because of snow) but I think that sounds like fun.

We are taking our 19 & 20 yr old sons with us too!

We have only been on Viking and there were no children but we did travel with a couple of teens which were somewhat intellectual. They had their ipads with them and were documenting their observations along with photos as well as interviewing the locals.

These youngsters put us to shame as far as appreciation for travel was concerned. They were entertained but as far as the average population of kids their age...boredom could set in.

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2015/03/which-river-cruise-companies-allow-children/

This is a link to an article which outlines all the different cruise companies, the ages that they allow and what the restrictions. A couple of companies run family specific cruises. If the link does not work, just Google age restrictions for river cruises and this is written by River Cruise Advisors.

Have fun and good luck finding the right cruise for your family

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2015/03/which-river-cruise-companies-allow-children/

This is a link to an article which outlines all the different cruise companies, the ages that they allow and what the restrictions. A couple of companies run family specific cruises. If the link does not work, just Google age restrictions for river cruises and this is written by River Cruise Advisors.

Have fun and good luck finding the right cruise for your family

I would certainly check the information on this site. For example it states no special facilities for children on CroisiEurope. This is incorrect as certain sailings do have a specific member of the entertainment staff assigned to young traveller activities. On each of my cruises with them there has been as least 1 and often more travellers under the age of 15 of differing nationalities.

I know that Tauck offers some sailings in the summer that are part of their Bridges sailings that are geared to families. I think a few other lines may also offer a few sailings in the summer that are family friendly as well.

Here's my family river cruise review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=512438

Backroads is definitely expensive (and luxe). You might also look at VBT [formerly Vermont Bicycle Tours, now includes walking as well as biking], which is less expensive than Backroads.

Tauck has Tauck Bridges Family cruises where you'll be traveling with a lot of other families with the same age groups & interests as your children. You might find that works for you. Also, we did a Uniworld Multi-generational river cruise in July 2014 (we don't have kids-that was just the date that worked for us) & the kids/teens all seemed to be having a great time. They all got along well & really enjoyed playing video games at night after equally appreciating a long day of touring & learning about history. Good luck w/ your planning:)

We will be doing a Viking Christmas Markets cruise with our kids next year. They will be 12 and 14 at the time. We will probably stick out like a sore thumb, but I am not worried about them being bored. They are great travelers who have been warped by parents that love history/travel. We will wear them out during the day with sightseeing and hit the beds early to be ready for the 8am sightseeing departure the next day. We've found that the daily promise of ice cream goes a long way :-)