MDR on Infinity or should we try one of the restaurants?

wendyatpml

Going on Infinity on Oct. 29 just out of Dry Dock. I have heard conflicting reviews of the restaurants on the ship. Should we just stick to the MDR for the seven days or should we try one of the restaurants?

I find the menus in the MDR to be excellent. I personally wouldn't spend $50pp to go to a specialty restaurant unless I had an excess of OBC to burn.

I find the menus in the MDR to be excellent. I personally wouldn't spend $50pp to go to a specialty restaurant unless I had an excess of OBC to burn.

I feel pretty much the same way. Food id not the reason I cruise, but the specialty restaurants are nice for a special occasion. They don't all cost $50.

I agree also. One of the main reason I cruise with Celebrity is the MDR food. Rarely I will go to a specialty restaurant.

During dry dock SS United States is becoming Tuscan Grill, so no one can really tell you what to expect from the food/service since it will be brand new.

Qsine is Qsine. Some people love it, others feel it is a "one and done" experience.

We just disembarked Infinity, but I can't comment on MDR since we ate in Luminae.

We find the food in Celebrity's MDRs good to excellent. Never had a problem with anything we ordered. But, we also dine in each of the specialty restaurants when we cruise. It's part of the adventure. Like visiting different ports, we like visiting the different restaurants for the same reasons - something different and new.

We would never think of taking a cruise and not treating ourselves to experiencing as many different things as we could. That, after all, is a big reason most people take cruises in the first place. Even at home we try different restaurants instead of dining in the same place every night - ie: at home! :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

I can't imagine the the MDR would not be good enough to eat at most nights. We do eat at Speciality restaurants during our cruises, but they are thought of as special nights.

I will say that formal night/lobster night no longer holds any special draw for us. We have never had bad MDR service either on Celebrity.

We just sailed on the Infinity on a 9 night itinerary but hadn't booked our specialty restaurant reservations ahead of time. When we boarded, there was an offer for $85 pp which included 1 dinner at each of the following:

QSine

SS United States (which I believe it to become the Tuscan Grill)

Bistro on 5

While the MDR had excellent service and great food, if this is offered, might be a nice way to try out all the specialty restaurants for a little bit of a discount.

Also, the first night is usually offered at a discount (I have seen up to 50% off but standard is 20% off) and if they aren't filling up, additional discounts may be offered throughout the cruise. You can always check once onboard.

Even though we never made it to the Bistro on Five -- the service in the other two restaurants was beyond excellent! The food in QSine -- some really good and some was so so -- but the food in the SSUS was fabulous. I would put the food MDR right in the middle of the two. If you are budgeting at all, I would think you would be more than happy in the MDR.

The specialty restaurants are generally no better than what you can get at any mid-level restaurant in Philadelphia (one of my favorite cities in which to eat out). I think you should try the MDR for the first few meals and then decide. They post the evening's menu by around noon so that can also be a factor, if you're in the mood for something else.

Try the Oceanview Buffet at dinner or after. Quicker, lots of variety to pick and choose. I especially like the Asian curries. Pizza, pasta, stir fry, taco stations too. Good choice vs rushing back from excursions off ship or don't have time, energy to go to MDR.

Even after eating in MDR :D, I often wander up to OV Cafe to sample, nibble a few items - IS THAT SO WRONG? ;) Good Luck

Just home from our October 5th sailing on Infinity. We were more than happy in the MDR most nights, some things were fabulous, some not so much, but we didn't have a bad meal there. We were gifted with one night at QSine, it was a very fun evening but the food overall was no better than MDR. We enjoyed the experience but are not likely to go back, especially if we are paying. Two evenings we did have dinner at the buffet, one of them was kind of sad with pretty limited options, but we were just too tired to put on proper clothes so dealt with it. The second buffet evening we had just spent the day eating our way around St. Maarten and didn't want a big meal, buffet was just fine.

There is absolutely no need to spend money on specialty restaurants unless you really want to.

Jojo

Spent 17 nights on Infinity earlier this month. Tried chefs table one night (excellent!) but ate in mdr the other 16. Quality of food in mdr was just fine as was service. My yardstick for rating mdr menu is how many nights I can't find an entree I like and just order a steak off the everyday menu. This sailing 0. Tried to be adventurous in my selections knowing that if I was disappointed I could always venture up to the oceanview cafe for sushi, fresh cooked pasta or the specials of the day. MDR menu did get a bit repetitive, but that's not unexpected on a 17 night sailing. My only real complaint was the post luminai conversion tight seating.

Have been on the Infinity 3 times and have always enjoyed the MDR....we do however, try the specialty restaurant at least one evening and wait until they offer a special. Many times all you do is have to ask for a discount on their price and they will offer it to you.

Enjoy !

We are just off Infinity and we eat all dinners in the MDR. We decided that we would wait and see how we liked the MDR meals and if we were not happy we would make reservations else where. No need. The food in the MDR is was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
Going on Infinity on Oct. 29 just out of Dry Dock. I have heard conflicting reviews of the restaurants on the ship. Should we just stick to the MDR for the seven days or should we try one of the restaurants?

We sailed around South America for 2 weeks earlier this year on Infinity. Ate every night in Main Dining Room with good service and food every time. Buffet for breakfast and lunch meals was okay for us. All of them surpass what we eat at home!