What happened to Chops

The "new" Chops menu now includes higher prices, poorer quality food ,much slower service,and carbohydrate heavy sides( of seven, 4 are potatoes). :mad:

There are nine sides, 4 of which are potato based. On the old menu, it was 3 out of 9. For comparisons sake:

Old Chops Sides

• Rock Salt Baked Idaho Potato
  • Double Whipped Mashed Potatoes
  • Roasted Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan
  • Sauteed Broccolini
  • Crimini Mushrooms and Leeks
  • Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce
  • Steamed Asparagus
  • Fried Onion Rings
  • Succotash

New Chops Sides

• Gruyere Cheese Tater Tots
  • Creamed Spinach
  • Grilled Jumbo Asparagus
  • French Fries
  • Truffled Corn
  • Roasted Mushrooms
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Salt Baked Potato
  • Sauteed Spinach

So you have two sides stay the same (mashed potatoes and baked potato), two sides modified (Crimini Mushrooms and Leeks become Roasted Mushrooms; Steamed Asparagus becomes Grilled Asparagus), and then five sides replaced. For ease, let's say that Truffled Corn replaces Succotash, Sauteed Spinach replaced Sauteed Broccolini, French Fries replaces Onion Rings, Creamed Spinach replaces Baby Bok Choy, and Tater Tots replace Roasted Potatoes. You gain a potato dish, but you also lose the onion rings, so is it really that more unhealthy?

There are nine sides, 4 of which are potato based. On the old menu, it was 3 out of 9. For comparisons sake:

Old Chops Sides

• Sauteed Broccolini
  • Steamed Asparagus
  • Fried Onion Rings
  • Succotash

New Chops Sides

• Creamed Spinach
  • French Fries
  • Truffled Corn
  • Roasted Mushrooms
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Salt Baked Potato
  • Sauteed Spinach

So you have two sides stay the same (mashed potatoes and baked potato), two sides modified (Crimini Mushrooms and Leeks become Roasted Mushrooms; Steamed Asparagus becomes Grilled Asparagus), and then five sides replaced. For ease, let's say that Truffled Corn replaces Succotash, Sauteed Spinach replaced Sauteed Broccolini, French Fries replaces Onion Rings, Creamed Spinach replaces Baby Bok Choy, and Tater Tots replace Roasted Potatoes. You gain a potato dish, but you also lose the onion rings, so is it really that more unhealthy?

So far this calendar year we have taken 7 RCCL cruises of 7 days or more. During the first three, neither asparagus nor truffled corn were available although listed on the web site. Not unusual for the RCCL site to have errors. We have not returned since to learn if those items were now available, prices have become lower, the quality better or service improved. As to healthy items, by limiting our sides to the broccolini,steamed asparagus, and plain mushrooms and leaks we were able to have healthy sides.

After a long break, we tried Chops again on our last Navigator cruise. We both had the filet. Not only was it tough, both of our steaks had to be sent back for being under cooked. OK, even if they cut back on the quality of beef, a steak house should still be able to deliver a properly prepared medium steak. Very disappointing and it will be a while before we give them another try.

I was recently on Oasis for the first time (awesome cruise overall), and have been on Allure and Liberty a few times each, always eating at Chops at least once. I would say there has been about 18 months since my last visit to Chops so if this has been discussed---my bad.

I'm okay with the price increase, I get that, but the porterhouse was free in the past. Now it's a $20 add on? And it was one of the best steaks I had ever had, came with a real nice charred dry rub---now you have to add a sauce to give it any flavor. What happened? I used to tell my friends, Chops was a must. I doubt I will go back now. Also in the past, the waiter would bring out a bunch of sides for our table of 8, now we were only allowed to choose four.

And the worst part, they disappointed my wife... The red velvet cake is nothing more than what I can get at Publix. She was so excited about the huge piece she was expecting like in the past, saved her calories all day. And then comes a regular slice of dense cake that tastes nothing like what it was.

Our group spent $400 there, not including drinks, and we all walked away saying that was a complete waste of money. The other 6 nights in the mdr were great, the staff were great and the ship is amazing.

I am so happy you said this because we just got off independence and I had same thoughts. I thought it was just this way on this particular ship. It was nothing like it was in the past. I recommended chops to everyone but after last experience I will not since this Is not just our experience. The sides were limited and not the same ones we had in the past, onion soup was overly salted and not even as good as the one in the dining room but when I saw the red velvet cake that was a total disappointment. In the past red velvet was amazing this one was three pale layers with barely any icing that could have come from any supermarket.

When we left we felt our money was wasted. We went twice to Giovanni's the following week instead. The food was much better there.

Most cruise lines have better steak restaurants than Chops, nothing special at all, we did love Giovanni's and also Izumi's .

Agreed. Giovanni's is excellent and our dinner at the Carnival Steakhouse was an exceptional experience and meal. Chops, not so much. Hopefully RCCL will amp up the experience.

Not the first thread I've read on neg posts about Chops Grille. I think this seals it for us, we won't go there on Anthem next cruise. Instead, we'll do Chef's Table, I am reading some good reviews on that one.

Thanks for letting us know about Chops, OP! And to the rest of you!

Yes....Love Chef's Table

We haven't been to Chops are last 2 Royal cruises. The service and sides were good, just the quality of the beef was questionable. I still remember our first time going to Chops years ago. The Ribeye was Fantastic! Not any more.....

As others have said....I agree Giovanni's has a better steak. Not sure why???

Edited by Beachammo

Old Chops Sides

• Sauteed Broccolini
  • Steamed Asparagus
  • Fried Onion Rings
  • Succotash

New Chops Sides

• Creamed Spinach
  • French Fries
  • Truffled Corn
  • Roasted Mushrooms
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Salt Baked Potato
  • Sauteed Spinach

Tater tots? French fries? At a steak house? Sounds like the frozen foods aisle at Walmart.

Tater tots? French fries? At a steak house? Sounds like the frozen foods aisle at Walmart.

Thank you for proving my point about having a knee jerk reaction to the item based on the name alone. I'm sure if Royal had marketed the former as potato croquettes and the latter as steak frites or truffle fries there'd be less complaints.

Thank you for proving my point about having a knee jerk reaction to the item based on the name alone. I'm sure if Royal had marketed the former as potato croquettes and the latter as steak frites or truffle fries there'd be less complaints.

Although you as an individual may change the name, on the plate in Chops they look,smell and taste like tater tots and french fries. By the way,over cooked spinach called creamed or sauteed that was served to us and to the tables nearby would be bad whatever fancy name is applied. Bottom line is that the current version of Chops is a far cry from it's former.

I think part of the problem with the tater tots side is the name. People look at it and have the reaction that ksuds has. They don't expect to get large guys there that have gruyere cheese.

DSC07226.jpg

Absolutely the name Tater Tots gives a mental picture of a bag of Ore Idas in the frozen food section of the grocery. Those potatoes are fine as an OPTION only, not the replacement for a good old baked potato. At least, I believe most people would expect a steak to be served with a baked potato and not tots.

Absolutely the name Tater Tots gives a mental picture of a bag of Ore Idas in the frozen food section of the grocery. Those potatoes are fine as an OPTION only, not the replacement for a good old baked potato. At least, I believe most people would expect a steak to be served with a baked potato and not tots.

Again, it comes down to a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing. If Royal chose to elevate the name and call them potato croquettes (let's be honest, those in the picture are much closer to a croquette than a tot) you risk most passengers not knowing what it is they're ordering. Call it a "tot" and the general concept of what you're ordering is more accessible but you then have the problem of people feeling it's "not refined enough" for a steakhouse.

Darn! I am too late in the Chops game to get the good stuff.

I will try not to allow these poor reviews float around in my thoughts when I try it for the first (and possibly second) time.

For sure, go try it! Everyone has different tastes! The staff is still great and does a great job!!

Don't count on the Giovanni's steaks being better than Chops. My wife's favorite restaurant on RCCL is Giovanni's (on Oasis/Allure), so we planned to skip Chops last March on Navigator and double up on Giovanni's. Based on the feedback on Cruise Critic about the steaks in Giovanni's she went for the steak the first visit. The steak came out undercooked, and when she sent it back they simply threw it back on the grill, and when it came back it tasted disgusting. The whole meal was so bad that we cancelled the second night at Giovanni's and switched to Chops. When we told our waiter at Chops how disappointed we were in Giovanni's, he proceeded to get our meal comped, and he made sure we had our best meal at Chops yet.

Our last B2B on the Freedom our Chops experience was actually really good. When I told them how much I missed the all you can eat steaks our server said she would make that happen. I had the NY strip and porterhouse at no charge. We ate there 3 more times and tipped her very well. Sometimes it pays just to have a polite conversation with the staff. That being said, we still do not plan on making much of an effort to eat at any of the specialty restaurants anymore. The MDR really isn't that bad.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Doesn't anyone else miss the old Mud Pie? I can look over the

fact that the shrimp cocktail are weirdly huge and too meaty. I used

to love the Caesar salad but now make do with one similar to that

offered in the main dining room. But the absolute deal breaker for me

was the changing of the Mud Pie. .. worth the price of the meal alone.

No more. I get a better steak in Giovanni's and love the guac in Sabor.

They will get my money from now on when I chose do dine in a specialty

restaurant.