What happened to Chops

There are nine sides, 4 of which are potato based. On the old menu, it was 3 out of 9. For comparisons sake:

Old Chops Sides

• Rock Salt Baked Idaho Potato
  • Double Whipped Mashed Potatoes
  • Roasted Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan
  • Sauteed Broccolini
  • Crimini Mushrooms and Leeks
  • Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce
  • Steamed Asparagus
  • Fried Onion Rings
  • Succotash

New Chops Sides

• Gruyere Cheese Tater Tots
  • Creamed Spinach
  • Grilled Jumbo Asparagus
  • French Fries
  • Truffled Corn
  • Roasted Mushrooms
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Salt Baked Potato
  • Sauteed Spinach

So you have two sides stay the same (mashed potatoes and baked potato), two sides modified (Crimini Mushrooms and Leeks become Roasted Mushrooms; Steamed Asparagus becomes Grilled Asparagus), and then five sides replaced. For ease, let's say that Truffled Corn replaces Succotash, Sauteed Spinach replaced Sauteed Broccolini, French Fries replaces Onion Rings, Creamed Spinach replaces Baby Bok Choy, and Tater Tots replace Roasted Potatoes. You gain a potato dish, but you also lose the onion rings, so is it really that more unhealthy?

You forgot the green beans with feta cheese from the old menu. I miss them. Chops has steadily gone downhill just as the prices have risen. After 10 years of eating at Chops 1 or 2 nights on each cruise we will probably skip it next cruise. The best restaurants on Royal Caribbean are Sabor and Izumi.

"Try the filet at the hibatchi teppanyaki in Izumi on Oasis/Allyre...was very good!! And service and presentation by staff/chef was excellent."

I have a question on this. I am sailing with my Dad and sent him a list of restaurants and asked which he'd like to book. He is a steak lover, so he chose Chops.

Would he like Izumi? This may be a dumb question, but can he order a steak here that is cooked and/or similar to what he might get in a steak house at home?

I'm sorry there are so many bad experiences with Chops. On NCL last Dec. we had a fantastic experience in Cagneys Steakhouse. LeBistro was also excellent.

We'll be on Jewel OTS in Jan. 2016. What restaurant do you suggest?

Cruise agent & Diamond RCI member here...I have just sent this link to Adam Goldstein, CEO of RCI, whom I know...they should know about these comments..also, as an agent, I have had the pleasure of going to many steakhouses on different lines...I agree about NCL's Cagney's, Le Bistro AND Moderno's Churrascaria Brazilian steakhouse ,all $20-25 and we thought they were great ( so was Teppanyaki, the Japanese hibachi steakhouse)..also Disney's Palo, at $20, was fantastic!! Just ate in the Crown Grille, on the new Regal Princess for $25, also terrific...

I was VERY upset RCI got rid of the amazing crab cakes as an appetizer...BTW,Susie, try Giovanni's steak..I hear also it's pretty good, and much cheaper at $25....

Big Al

I have no problem paying a lot of money for a great steak. My point is that it isn't a great steak anymore and they raised the prices. Same with the dessert.

By the way, Chops was half empty on night 3 of the cruise from 7:30-9:30. In my previous times there, the place was always crowded. We made reservations on that day and could've picked any night we wanted. If they are trying to make shareholders more money, wouldn't a full restaurant make more money?

We agree that Chops has gone down hill, a lot, and is not worth the extra money, particularity the "Something Special" $20.00 add ons to the base cover charge. And talk about half full, it is so poorly attended now that Royal promotes Chops by offering BOGO half off throughout the cruise, which is the only way we will go in.

Thank you for posting the menu! We used to be huge chops fans as i we like to try all the restaurants particularly on the Oasis class ships. We were very disappointed in Chops changing options until the last cruise we were on when we ordered the bacon pepper appetizer. We felt like that appetizer was worth the price of the entire meal! We came home and tried to figure out a way to reproduce it looked up recipes just can't do it. I really am looking forward to it now. My favorite steak is also from Izumi

until the last cruise we were on when we ordered the bacon pepper appetizer. We felt like that appetizer was worth the price of the entire meal! We came home and tried to figure out a way to reproduce it looked up recipes just can't do it. I really am looking forward to it now. My favorite steak is also from Izumi

I would almost consider skipping the entre and asking for 2-3 of these!

Edited by BillOh

Update...RCI called this morning (I sent an email also) and they are aware of this thread and the ongoing problem at Chops. Obviously, nothing came of the phone call, but at least they know people aren't satisfied. Change is slow, but hopefully Chops gets back to what it was.

Update...RCI called this morning (I sent an email also) and they are aware of this thread and the ongoing problem at Chops. Obviously, nothing came of the phone call, but at least they know people aren't satisfied. Change is slow, but hopefully Chops gets back to what it was.

Good, as long as they are reading this, bring back the Sweet Street red velvet cake!! That in-house cake is very disappointing. It's just worthless in comparison.

You see..I guess sending this thread to Adam Goldstein and Crown & Anchor helps...I also spoke with a gal # C & A and she said RCI DO look at CC ..like you said, maybe one call won't change things ASAP, but if enough people complain, RCI might take notice..by the way, did you express your dissatisfaction of Chops to the agent?

Big Al

We had a prepaid reservation for chops on the vision. The Caesar salad was awful and the croutons soggy. It took forever to get water after we were seated. My filet was fine. The people next to us hated their desserts. Wecfeltvthecservice was severely lacking. I think when we ate at chops five years ago we had a couple servers. This time the waiter had to do it all. The restaurant was half empty midway through a 12-day cruise.

The second time we ate at chops we were a party of 12. Everyone like their dinner. The sides were tiny. He brought us every side on the menu but they were such small portions we had to keep asking for more.

The Crown Grill on The Regal Princess in March was far superior in every way.

I've been a big RCCL food cheerleader for many years now, including the cafeteria aka Dining Room food. With that being said, Chops is a disappointment every time we've dined there. Not even sure why we decide to go there when we cruise. I'm sorry but Peter Luger's, Jeff Ruby Steakhouses, and even Ruth's Chris put more than just salt and pepper on their steaks for unique flavoring. Chops dry aged steaks that you pay extra for have no distinct taste!! They aren't prepping for a huge amount of patrons every night, so why they cant put some more effort into the steaks and other menu items is completely unacceptable.

Giovanni's, Coastal Kitchen, 150 Central Park, Izumi, etc etc are worth the $ every time.

Truthfully, Chops is a first time cruiser revenue trap. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.