What happened to Chops

I've always had good service at Chops - Freedom x2, Navigator, and Allure x2) But I do see the menu changes as a slight downgrade but my wife and I just get the petit filet, so we are easy to please. I did say after Freedom, I would order that Peppered bacon appetizer in the MDR every night as a premium if I could :D The bake potato and onion soup has varied a bit from time to time, but usually very good.

We did too - at first - especially when it initially looked like the baked potato had gone away. After Oasis though (our only time with the new menu), the only thing I found myself really missing (other than the tableside caesar) was the chimmichurri sauce they used to have. Otherwise I thought my filet was spot on (although my wife's filet got switched for mine. Not a huge worry, she got medium, I wanted mid-rare, so it was doable for both of us) and service was just really good. Our server gave our table some shrimp as an extra side for no particular reason. I also love the pretzel bread that they have now as well. That stuff's just too good! Baked potato also varied for us. I had a reasonable sized potato. We were traveling with another couple (DW's best friend and her boyfriend) and the boyfriend had a potato that looked like it was on enough steroids to enter the WWE. Considering he got the 16 oz dry aged New York Strip, he was unable to get too far into the potato before waving the white flag to Megaspud.

Earlier this month on Jewel we went to Chops for dinner. This was the first time we had been to Chops for quite awhile. The filet mignon was tender but came with a sauce on it. The rest was ok but overall I didn't think it was worth the higher up charge.

We had stopped going to Chops because of the decline (IMO). Recently on the Freedom we had a free dinner for 2 so we decided that we would do Chops again since they were the highest priced.

I ordered my filet blue, not black and blue, not Pittsburg. I also asked that if they weren't absolutely sure what that meant to have the chef come over and I could tell him so we weren't wasting meat. He didn't come over but I made sure to tell the waiter that if they brought it cold in the center I would really love it.

When my meat arrived, I thought it had been on the burner the entire day. It looked and smelled like burned charcoal. On top of that, I think it had been soaked in salt all day. It was terrible. I left the entire thing because we didn't have time to wait for another steak due to the show time.

Apps, deserts and sides were just OK. I can make tater tots at home anytime for cheap. Why are they on the menu in the steak house?

I agree, I miss the old menu and better quality meat. So next time, I won't even go if it's free.

We had stopped going to Chops because of the decline (IMO). Recently on the Freedom we had a free dinner for 2 so we decided that we would do Chops again since they were the highest priced.

I ordered my filet blue, not black and blue, not Pittsburg. I also asked that if they weren't absolutely sure what that meant to have the chef come over and I could tell him so we weren't wasting meat. He didn't come over but I made sure to tell the waiter that if they brought it cold in the center I would really love it.

When my meat arrived, I thought it had been on the burner the entire day. It looked and smelled like burned charcoal. On top of that, I think it had been soaked in salt all day. It was terrible. I left the entire thing because we didn't have time to wait for another steak due to the show time.

Apps, deserts and sides were just OK. I can make tater tots at home anytime for cheap. Why are they on the menu in the steak house?

I agree, I miss the old menu and better quality meat. So next time, I won't even go if it's free.

I don't get the tater tots thing either. When they first changed the menu, they didn't even have a baked potato. It wasn't until people complained for a while that the baked potato was brought back.

All I can come up with is that all the major decisions are being done by bean counters.

I don't get the tater tots thing either. When they first changed the menu, they didn't even have a baked potato. It wasn't until people complained for a while that the baked potato was brought back.

All I can come up with is that all the major decisions are being done by bean counters.

I think part of the problem with the tater tots side is the name. People look at it and have the reaction that ksuds has. They don't expect to get large guys there that have gruyere cheese.

DSC07226.jpg

Edited by garnetpalmetto

I think that's the bottom line. I understand that economics sometimes dictate the need to either increase prices OR reduce quality... But RCI seems to have attempted to do both. That isn't a winning combination.

Earlier this month on Jewel we went to Chops for dinner. This was the first time we had been to Chops for quite awhile. The filet mignon was tender but came with a sauce on it. The rest was ok but overall I didn't think it was worth the higher up charge.

We also had the sauce on Navigator even though we told the waiter no sauce on the steak

And I don't see any issue with this at all.

Royal is a publicly traded corporation and their sole purpose is to make the shareholders happy. If I was a shareholder in RCCL stock, I'd be ecstatic with what they are doing the past few years -- profits are up and occupancy percentages are crazy high. This means they're making more people happy than ever before, and the shareholders are ecstatic about it.

If you aren't happy with the service/value for what you're paying for, tell them to refund it and don't pay for that service again. Since more people than ever are cruising with RCCL, complaining about it on CC won't change a thing.

I wonder how many CCers would be willing to pay $100 a person for a quality steak dinner. That's what I pay on shore -- without alcohol. Or about $83 more per person over a buffet dinner.

Sounds good

I too have stopped going to chops, but it was merely a matter of economics.

I am by no means cheap.. but.. when you used to be able to go for 25 or 30 dollars and get a good steak. ( that would normally be 50 in a ruth chris) I figured it was a fair compromise. Pay a little more and get something great.

but... Now with the increase in cover and the additional payment for some of the items, It is no longer a value at all and even rivals the entire price of Amazing land based steakhouses. So instead of subsidizing the cost of your meal. you are paying 100% of it.. and that simply does not make sense to me.

and if you ask me... it's not working which is way people keep talking about them chasing you down on the ship and offering discounts... I do agree with the other posters. Sabor is definitely my new favorite.

I have no problem paying a lot of money for a great steak. My point is that it isn't a great steak anymore and they raised the prices. Same with the dessert.

By the way, Chops was half empty on night 3 of the cruise from 7:30-9:30. In my previous times there, the place was always crowded. We made reservations on that day and could've picked any night we wanted. If they are trying to make shareholders more money, wouldn't a full restaurant make more money?

I wonder how many CCers would be willing to pay $100 a person for a quality steak dinner. That's what I pay on shore -- without alcohol. Or about $83 more per person over a buffet dinner.

Im certainly willing to if the quality is there. The only thing Chops has in common with Ruths Chris or Capital Grille is the ambiance. The service isnt even close anymore (at least based on my last two visits) and Id liken their included steaks to a Western Sizzler quality. From most reviews Im reading, their 18-20 dollar upcharge steak isnt much better.

People here were asked their opinion on Chops and most of us are giving just that and looks like most agree what Chops is no longer worth it anymore. Im pretty sure MOST of us did our complaining to the Chef and on the survey but I can only speak for myself in that regard.

I think its pretty hilarious that the majority opinion is that their Italian venue serves a MUCH better steak for less money than their signature steakhouse does lol.

Edited by ryano

I've ate at Chops for many, many years and I remember the day of the $20 charge and it was still all you can eat. In addition, the steaks were absolutely fantastic, the baked potato side could feed a family, and the rest of the sides were endless. That being said, the ships themselves have come a long ways and offer far much more that I would rather enjoy than a steak (and I lOVE steak). We just stopped paying for the extra's onboard and make sure to enjoy all the rest of the included services.

Last cruise we only paid for one visit to Johnny Rockets (I still can't pass up all you can eat cheeseburgers for $8 or whatever the price is) and alcohol.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Not the first thread I've read on neg posts about Chops Grille. I think this seals it for us, we won't go there on Anthem next cruise. Instead, we'll do Chef's Table, I am reading some good reviews on that one.

Thanks for letting us know about Chops, OP! And to the rest of you!

I'm sorry there are so many bad experiences with Chops. On NCL last Dec. we had a fantastic experience in Cagneys Steakhouse. LeBistro was also excellent.

We'll be on Jewel OTS in Jan. 2016. What restaurant do you suggest?

I'm sorry there are so many bad experiences with Chops. On NCL last Dec. we had a fantastic experience in Cagneys Steakhouse. LeBistro was also excellent.

We'll be on Jewel OTS in Jan. 2016. What restaurant do you suggest?

Portofino.

We'll be on Anthem in July. I can only hope that RC has read this thread and that they will step up their game by then. On the other hand, I'd welcome a really good Hibachi place, so if they want to offer the great steak at the Italian restaurant and convert Chops into Mt. Fuji, sign me up!

I think its pretty hilarious that the majority opinion is that their Italian venue serves a MUCH better steak for less money than their signature steakhouse does lol.

*shhhhh* now they're going to reduce the quality and increase the price for Giovanni's too! :p

I'm hoping RCI gets the message and restores the quality of the old Chops. I'm willing to pay the new (higher) price if the quality justifies it... And I suspect I'm not the only one.

We'll be on Anthem in July. I can only hope that RC has read this thread and that they will step up their game by then. On the other hand, I'd welcome a really good Hibachi place, so if they want to offer the great steak at the Italian restaurant and convert Chops into Mt. Fuji, sign me up!

I didn't go this last time but I believe Izumi on some ships (Oasis and Allure - any others?) is doing teppanyaki.