Helicopter or Plane?

sjmbruce

A helicopter will give you a much better chance to get good photos than a plane, simply because helicopters can hover in one place (and often do, in the most scenic spots). Most helicopter pilots are good about rotating the craft so that everybody has a decent chance at getting the photo.

I've gotten some decent shots out of a small plane by using the fastest setting my camera has and praying the exposure is kind of ok and the focus isn't too wonky. Of course, I have to search through hundreds of photos to find the few that turned out.

The answer is-it depends.

In Kauai, we took a tour in a biplane because we wanted to fly in a biplane, It was just the two of us.

Previously my wife had taken a helicopter ride over Kauai

When we took a tour over the Nazca Lines in Peru, it was in a 12 place airplane

In Bora Bora we were in a helicopter and loved it

In Alaska we chartered a float plane to see some bears

We flew from Victoria to Vancouver in a floatplane

And in Maui, I chartered a 4 place plane to do a 3 island tour of Maui, Molokai and Lanai.

Edited by Talisker92

And there's a reason it's half the price - the chopper is a significantly better experience. I'm sure there are many different opinions as to whether it's twice as good and therefore of proportionate value, but for all the reasons already given above you have a much better experience...

I am trying to decide on a helicopter or a small plane for an excursion. My main priorities are good seating and the ability to take some awesome pictures. Any thoughts or advice?

For sight seeing either is good. However, for picture taking you want a helicopter.

the only thing im worried about is the seating on a helicopter and that my husband and i will both be stuck in the middle seats

When we took a helicopter excursion there were no middle seats. Yours is evidently different?

the only thing im worried about is the seating on a helicopter and that my husband and i will both be stuck in the middle seats

A great many flight-seeing helicopters carry four passengers (a design for three passengers would be problematic for finding threesomes or the right mix of couples & singletons).

That means one person has a great seat beside the pilot :), two have decent seats in the back row ;), - and yes, one person gets the middle back-row seat. :(

Because the pilot has to balance the craft you tend not to be able to choose, and the biggest passenger is generally allocated the front seat.

I suggest you abandon your diet :D

JB :)

And there's a reason it's half the price - the chopper is a significantly better experience. I'm sure there are many different opinions as to whether it's twice as good and therefore of proportionate value, but for all the reasons already given above you have a much better experience...

Kauai by helicopter is breathtaking. Do some research and avoid larger copters with multiple interior back row seats where you will be placed if your weight tends to be heavier than the other passengers.

In Alaska, try to get a ride on a traditional old dehavilland float plane before they all disappear.

Don't know where you're going, but if it's to Hawaii the doors off helicopter over the volcano is spectacular. Hubby and I had the two back seats in the small copter. No doors in the way. Look out and down. Wonderful!

But I do want to mention that they'll weigh you. Maybe discreetly, maybe not. I've seen it both ways. If it's going to spoil your vacation to step onto a scale for all the world to see, then maybe not a helicopter.

Don't know where you're going, but if it's to Hawaii the doors off helicopter over the volcano is spectacular. Hubby and I had the two back seats in the small copter. No doors in the way. Look out and down. Wonderful!

But I do want to mention that they'll weigh you. Maybe discreetly, maybe not. I've seen it both ways. If it's going to spoil your vacation to step onto a scale for all the world to see, then maybe not a helicopter.

Did the doors off thing in St Thomas many years ago and a closed cabin helicopter in Kauai.

1. Skip the still camera. Run your video straight through. With a still camera you'll be lucky if you get any clear shots. Worse, you'll miss the amazing gorgeous landscape and sea views while you fiddle with the camera.

2. Do it only if you have a handle on any fear of heights. It's scary and thrilling at the same time flying 'doors off'.

3. Anxious about the scale? The operator normally will tell you the weight limits when you book, so if you are close to the max, skip breakfast. (Slipping breakfast is also a good idea because the lateral and vertical motion elements of a helicopter can cause a bit of motion sickness.)

Thank you all for your advice!

I have been looking at the helicopters at the ones I have seen so far all have one or two seats in the front but four seats in the back.

If anyone knows about a helicopter tour company in Kauai that only has three seats in the back, please let me know. Thanks again!

Edited by sjmbruce

Most of the tour helicopters are either Bell Jet-Rangers or Hughes MD-500 and these seat pilot plus 3, one up front and two in the back. There are some Bell Long Rangers that seat 5 in the back (3 and 2) plus one lucky person up front with the pilot.

Doors off is the only way to do a heli tour. Back in the late 1970's I had a ton of Door Off time in a TV station helicopter. I shot the 1982 Worlds Fair with door off on the left side with just me and the pilot. This is one of the greatest Rushes you can get in life. Yes, a great copter pilot is really nice to have. Yes, just shoot Video now and take your stills from the video.

Helicopter, absolutely. Even if you end up in a middle seat. I did a tour of Kauai and hovering over Waimea Canyon and in the Mount Waialeale crater...unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

Agree 100% !!!

I finally agreed to a helicopter tour in Hawaii on the Big Island.......It was AMAZING!

So wonderful.....that we did the Kaui Helicopter tour the next day! - flew inside a crater, can not do that with a plane. Still view the videos!

Looks expensive but the helicopters were incredible, our pilots were in love with their jobs and the islands.

Just unbelievable experiences, each island was so different

Edited by SMerritt