Solstice today.

Great! We're planning on having an early dinner at Circular Quay tonight as we're going to a show at the Opera House. If the weather stays nice we'll be dining somewhere outdoors so will be able to watch her sailaway.

Gut, I hope you and your wife have a wonderful cruise on Diamond.

Great! We're planning on having an early dinner at Circular Quay tonight as we're going to a show at the Opera House. If the weather stays nice we'll be dining somewhere outdoors so will be able to watch her sailaway.

Departure scheduled for 18.30

Thank you, just dropping the car at car park so I am officially on holidays:o:D:p

We were down there also, having a pre-theatre meal at the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar where we could sit and admire Solstice. Luckily she was docked bow in so we were able to work out exactly where our port-side cabin is for our Xmas cruise, with a bit of help from the deck plans on Shipmate.

2015-10-21%2017.25.31_zpssx3rfejy.jpg

I'm blaming the proximity of Solstice for our sudden craving for pre-dinner cocktails.

2015-10-21%2017.31.19_zpsp4me18e3.jpg

She departed on time, slowly backing out from the OPT.

2015-10-21%2018.40.10_zpsfa7ebsga.jpg

As we walked over to the Opera House we caught a last glimpse of her disappearing down the harbour.

2015-10-21%2019.07.51_zpswxpwrowv.jpg

Less than two months to wait before we board her in Auckland for her Christmas cruise back to Sydney. :D :D

We were down there also, having a pre-theatre meal at the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar where we could sit and admire Solstice. Luckily she was docked bow in so we were able to work out exactly where our port-side cabin is for our Xmas cruise, with a bit of help from the deck plans on Shipmate.

2015-10-21%2017.25.31_zpssx3rfejy.jpg

I'm blaming the proximity of Solstice for our sudden craving for pre-dinner cocktails.

2015-10-21%2017.31.19_zpsp4me18e3.jpg

She departed on time, slowly backing out from the OPT.

2015-10-21%2018.40.10_zpsfa7ebsga.jpg

As we walked over to the Opera House we caught a last glimpse of her disappearing down the harbour.

2015-10-21%2019.07.51_zpswxpwrowv.jpg

Less than two months to wait before we board her in Auckland for her Christmas cruise back to Sydney. :D :D

Cool.

What amazes me is how smoothly and quietly they move away from the dock. No perceptable movement or vibration and no noticeable sound. You wouldn't know the ship was moving except for the slowly widening band of water between the ship and dock.

What amazes me is how smoothly and quietly they move away from the dock. No perceptable movement or vibration and no noticeable sound. You wouldn't know the ship was moving except for the slowly widening band of water between the ship and dock.

I've been caught out many times with that, even when waiting for it.

Did anyone watch "Mighty Cruise Ships" on Channel 7 last night? It featured the "Solstice". Very, very informative, especially as to what goes on below deck. The Australian Chef looks like he is doing a fantastic job. Even pandering to people complaining about the repetitive menu in the Buffet by serving up a massive Spanish Mackerel. She's a bit too big for my liking. The ship I mean not the fish. :D

Did anyone watch "Mighty Cruise Ships" on Channel 7 last night? It featured the "Solstice". Very, very informative, especially as to what goes on below deck. The Australian Chef looks like he is doing a fantastic job. Even pandering to people complaining about the repetitive menu in the Buffet by serving up a massive Spanish Mackerel. She's a bit too big for my liking. The ship I mean not the fish. :D

Yes, It is my favourite ship although the show is now several years old it still shows the ship in good light.:D

Whilst the ship is big and with 2800 passengers on board it doesn't feel that big. Perhaps one would expect 2800 people to be falling over themselves but remarkably they aren't. Where the size and incompetence of the Solstice comes to the fore is Tendering. There tendering process is diabolical. Having done a B2B around NZ and Australia earlier this year where there were a number of tender ports the best the tendering process could be called was a shambles. Not only were there not enough tenders to get people ashore when the weather chops up it is difficult to get them back on board.

Luckily on both the tender ports on our upcomiong cruise, Bay of Islands and Akaroa, we don't need to do any major sightseeing as we've been there before. We're just planning on puttering around and finding some good Kiwi fish and chips (dare I hope for Tarakihi?) for lunch. :D

Luckily on both the tender ports on our upcomiong cruise, Bay of Islands and Akaroa, we don't need to do any major sightseeing as we've been there before. We're just planning on puttering around and finding some good Kiwi fish and chips (dare I hope for Tarakihi?) for lunch. :D

Tarakihi or Snapper ....mouth watering and available at the best fish and chip shops , otherwise Hoki or Lemon Fish...(Shark):D