Royal Princess and spring break

tsxgray1

We have been on cruises in the Caribbean at that time. If you are on a 10 day

cruise, the college spring breakers won't be. They show up on the 5-7 day cruises. However, there are many families onboard the 10 day cruises. It is a nice mix of ages and we have never had a problem with unruly passengers.:)

We may have to switch our 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess from January 29 to March 3 but I am concerned about spring break. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks

I never seen kids on spring break on a 10 day cruise.

Tony

Also find out when Canadian Spring Break is. I got quite an unwelcomed surprise of over 500 kids on break from Canada one cruise. The ship, elevators, pools, you name it was overtaken by kids. Not my kinda vacation

Edited by hpeabody

We made the mistake of doing a 7 day Caribbean on the Grand in March. There were over 600 kids. For the most part not unruly but in the hallways and stairwells "horsing around" late at night. We avoid Spring break periods now.

We did a 10 day cruise a few years ago over Spring Break, and there were not very many "spring breakers" on board since the cruise was longer than the typical one week break.

That being said, we had Spring Break related issues both before (pre-cruise hotel that we normally stay at was $300 more for one night and airfare was high enough that we ended up driving to port) and after (because we drove we were stuck in Spring Break traffic the entire way home - we drove for hours, but the number of hours left in the trip never changed on the GPS).

OP, I am on the March 3rd cruise and I don't anticipate much problem. A few years ago we did the Royal on 3/30/2014 and did experience a bit of spring break but it was a 7 night cruise. What we experienced was the smell of pot when sitting on our balcony 2 nights and some young adults around the ship. No really bad behavior other than the pot which would probably be a violation of the smoking on balcony rule. Maybe it was medicinal. I do not know which cabin caused it.

OP, I am on the March 3rd cruise and I don't anticipate much problem. A few years ago we did the Royal on 3/30/2014 and did experience a bit of spring break but it was a 7 night cruise. What we experienced was the smell of pot when sitting on our balcony 2 nights and some young adults around the ship. No really bad behavior other than the pot which would probably be a violation of the smoking on balcony rule. Maybe it was medicinal. I do not know which cabin caused it.

As one from a state that has legalized recreational marijuana, I can tell you categorically that other states which have not legalized the stuff do not take kindly to medical MJ and treat it as an illegal substance. You are not supposed to take it on airplanes. There are amnesty boxes at Colorado airports to dispose of any pot a traveler might be carrying. Colorado Drivers are routinely stopped by law enforcement in neighboring states and given what amounts to the "sniff test" to see if they are users. Tiresome, tiresome, tiresome.

Same also applies to Princess. . .no recreational drugs and they do not recognize medical MJ. Some folks across from me were taken off the ship in LA in stainless steel bracelets because they'd been using MJ. It's not worth the hassle to take it across state lines. So, if you smelled pot on your balcony. . .smoking violation and drug use. Be interesting to know if the folks were turned in by their steward. I imagine that's who turned in the folks across from me in LA.

We may have to switch our 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess from January 29 to March 3 but I am concerned about spring break. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks

We were on the Royal for spring break last year and didn't have any issue with college kids on spring break. This usually isn't a problem for 10-day cruises. I didn't check when Easter was when I booked he B2B, though. We had lots of kids then, mostly well behaved. We were in one of the forward suites. Apparently a father thought that it was OK to chew out his kids right in front of our door because it was the last cabin on that deck. After the second time of hearing him berate his children, I opened the door. It didn't happen again. Not sure what he was thinking. . .LOL

I don't think anyone can predict the demographic of passengers but a good rule of thumb is the longer the cruise, the less likely you are to have families or students. I'm not sure line reputation matters as much. This is because I did a seven day u.s. spring break cruise on HAL and was stunned at how many kids there were. HAL has a rep for being pretty staid, this cruise was anything but!