Christmas Cruise

islandersx4

Would love to hear from anyone that has cruised over Christmas and New Years.

We're travelling on Radiance of the Seas departing Christmas eve to the Western Carribean. This will be our first cruise and our first Christmas away from home. We have an 11 year old and she is very excited......

Also, we'd love to go cave tubing but, the age restriction ( must be 12 ) prohibits our daughter from going with us. How strict is this requirement or are there other outfits that offer this excursion? thanks:rolleyes:

You will love Christmas cruising! Christmas carolling in the centrum, a small gift from RCCL will be delivered to your stateroom Christmas day. Santa arrives in the Centrum area Christmas morning and all the kids receive an age-appropriate gift. There is also a Christmas Eve church service at midnight.

Turkey dinner is available at Christmas dinner, and while it is not as good as my own home-cooked, the fact that I haven't spent all day in the kitchen (and a long time cleaning up the mess) is priceless.

The Radiance is our favourite ship and she will be decked with beautiful Christmas trees and decorations.

Cruising at Christmas gives us much more time to spend with our small family. We usually just pack small token gifts for each other (the cruise is our gift to each other), and without having to spend time entertaining, last minute shopping, baking, cleaning, cooking, etc. we have far more time to really enjoy this special time.

If you're still onboard for New Year's Eve - be prepared to one fabulous fun party. Towers and trays of champagne, party hats & noise-makers abound. This is one formal night where everyone really, really gets all decked out. The festivities last well into the wee hours, so be prepared not to get a lot of sleep this night.

One other thing - your crew are away from their families and they really miss them this time of year. We always pack a little gift and bring Christmas cards from home which we personalize once onboard. This small gesture is well received.

Have a great cruise. I can't answer your other question about cave-tubing, but if you want any other info about Christmas cruising, ask away.

Sue

Thanks for the info, I must admit that the thought of not having to get up in the wee hours to start dinner and play Santa is wonderful. We're all onboard for this special treat and family time.

I actually thought I'd bring along Christmas cookies to share with "our" staff, can you tell me how many that is?

Did you do anything to decorate your cabin?:rolleyes:

We're going to be on a Princess ship for Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Years. We understand that the ships decorate for the holidays. We will probably bring some decorations for our cabin. And pack a few little gifts for our girl to open.

I'm not sure how strict the excursion company is. But in the case of a physical activity, there may be a question of insurance so they may have to stick with the age restriction. If you know the name of the company, why not try to email them and ask.

Some cruiselines (I know with Carnival and Princess) you can leave your child with the kids' area counselors if you want to go into port without them. Just make sure you sign up in time (often there's a 24-hr deadline). We have done this without any problem. Just make sure you get back on the ship in time (in other words, take an excursion with the cruiseline).

We did a Carnival cruise (western car.) this past summer and my son was only 11 at the time we cavetubed.

No problems whatsoever!

We booked a private tour company and I don't think they even asked the kids ages.

He loved it, and I am sure your daughter would too, that is great age and the cavetubing is alot of fun!!

Have a great trip!!

Debbie

Thanks for the info, I must admit that the thought of not having to get up in the wee hours to start dinner and play Santa is wonderful. We're all onboard for this special treat and family time.

I actually thought I'd bring along Christmas cookies to share with "our" staff, can you tell me how many that is?

Did you do anything to decorate your cabin?:rolleyes:

We took small gifts for our cabin steward, waiter & asst. waiter. You may also want something for daughter's counsellor at the Adventure Ocean program, and a favourite drink server. We usually pack a few extras just in case.

We don't decorate our cabin - no room in the suitcase or cabin for small trees, etc. Besides, my decorations can't compare to those of the ship. I do however pack a small decoration to hang on our cabin door. I also take a Christmas stocking for our daughter which always includes an inexpensive disposal camera (with a label affixed showing her 1st name & cabin # in case it is misplaced) so she can take pics of her new-found friends.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are considering the cave tubing in Belize, you can use a private tour operator, Reggie. His website is http://www.regtour.com. We have gone tubing with him twice & would do it again next time in Belize. I don't think the age will be an issue with Reggie. He is an excellent guide & you should not miss the tubing if at all possible. Good luck & hope you enjoy your holiday cruise. I'm sure you will!

islandersx4:

Hi, looks like we'll be cruisemates that week. We're also on Radiance doing the western for Xmas and New Year's.

We've been on Radiance and her sister ships many times and like the other posters have mentioned your family will have a super time. The Radiance Class ships are a favorite with us especially during the holidays when they are all decorated. Travelling during the holidays is so nice as you don't have to worry about cooking, cleaning, etc... Only worries are what to eat for dinner and what activities to attend.(lol) We get to enjoy each others company since we're not stressed out. Makes the holidays so much more relaxed.

You are going to love cruising and I guarantee you'll be "hooked" just like the rest of us. Don't know about you but we're counting down the days!!!!!!!! See ya on board. :)

Oh, you'll love Christmas cruising! While the prices are a lot higher, it's a great way to spend the holidays with your family. There's a lot less stress involved.

We've done two vacations during Christmas: one at Disney World in 2001 (the decorations were great, but I wouldn't recommend it because of the huge, huge crowds) and one on the Ecstasy in 2003, which we loved.

The ship was nicely decorated, there were Christmas activities and a Hannukah menorah lighting, and everyone was in a festive mood. They had a nice Christmas dinner for us, too.

We brought a tiny, fold up Christmas tree, some stockings, and some garland and small gifts. Also brought candy and trinkets for the crew and Camp Carnival staff - was greatly appreciated! You should have seen those Camp Carnival counselors rip into that bag of candy!

Enjoy your holidays aboard ship!

Laura

this will be our 1st cruise that has the 25th in it. our other 2 cruises started on the 26th. that being said.... new years onboard was fantastic. it was (for me) the closest thing to being at times square in new york. the only "problem" was people drinking and realizing that there was no need for a designated driver........YIKES.

Hey everyone,

I am getting very excited about our trip...thanks "SF" for the information, I really am looking forward to this voyage and time with family...we're all so busy and finding time to do "nothing" is difficult.....guess spending nine nights in 204 sq. ft. will solve that I am now deciding on excursions, so far Horseback Riding in Jamaica and Cave Tubing in Belize, any other suggestions, this is our FIRST cruise?

See you on board!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Cruising To All..........

I'll Be On The Celebration-12/17-12/22-&-12/22-12/26

I Did This Same Cruise Last Year...........

Looking Forward To Cruising.............

This Is My Christmas To Me From Me.........

So I Say Merry Cruising To Me................

Barbara

Archived