NCL Coffee Card - Who's Bought One?

Planmaam

At the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet during our September 25th cruise, the Hotel Director told us that NCL had tried a coffee card on one of its ships already, but he had not heard any results of the trial or anything about future plans for it.

I'd like to hear from those of you who were able to buy a coffee card, which ship and when it was offered, and what you thought about it. Was it well advertised? Do you know if many bought it?

I have been a proponent of the NCL Coffee Card, but haven't seen or heard anything about this except the once at the M & G, so just want to research this.

Thanks in advance for the information!

A bit OT...for those of you who have purchased coffee onboard, how is it? Is it pretty good? Also, I know that 'regular' specialty coffee is not included in the UBP...but are specialty coffees with alcohol included in the UBP? TIA.

I would buy a coffee card too- and always put this on my surveys at the end of cruising. They would probably need to make a more specialized bar to serve coffee drinks though if they do this, as they'd probably get more coffee business. Right now, the atrium bars make these specialized coffees but also serve all alcoholic beverages/sodas for everyone in that area also. Often when I am walking around with my coffee drinks (blended ones like 'frappucinos'), people ask me where I got it.

Edited by Calif. Cruisers

I just wonder how a short trial' date=' even on one ship, could have been totally missed here on CC! "I smell son-thin fishy, Lucy!"[/quote']

It has not been missed, I too have read about it here and never seen it onboard.

They would probably need to make a more specialized bar to serve coffee drinks though if they do this, as they'd probably get more coffee business. Right now, the atrium bars make these specialized coffees but also serve all alcoholic beverages/sodas for everyone in that area also.

That is exactly how Celebrity has it too - Café al Bacio serves as a bar also, of course since their drink packages include speciality coffees, coffees are more in demand than other drinks, unlike at NCL atrium bars now.

It's just a staffing/bigger espresso machine issue, nothing else (on Celebrity Reflection they had easily four people making coffees and serving people at the same time).

Why doesn't NCL just simply put a small surcharge on the Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP) and include COFFEE - A WIN-WIN simple solution !

A small surcharge?!?! Only party winning from it would be the company.

NCL's beverage package is already as expensive as RCI's and Celebrity's premium package and already their $10/day cheaper standard package includes speciality coffees and bottled (still) water.

NCL's pricing is already outrageous without any "small surcharges" when looking at the things not included in the package.

Was just on the Breakaway and visited the coffee cafe each day. I would have purchased a coffee card if it was available, but I didn't find it necessary with only have one place available to buy coffee.

I liked that the cafe was separate from the Atrium bar & was a bit more like going to Starbucks. (although the selection was very limited) I did see some lines at times, but whenever I visited, it was empty with 2 employees working. I have to say that the coffee's I purchased there each day were perfectly made. I only wish it was a bit more by itself & not in the Atrium where it was loud & busy most times of the day. It was difficult to sit & talk & enjoy your coffee while having to shout over the noise.

I'd never consider buying the drink program, but would definitely buy a coffee one.

A small surcharge?!?! Only party winning from it would be the company.

NCL's beverage package is already as expensive as RCI's and Celebrity's premium package and already their $10/day cheaper standard package includes speciality coffees and bottled (still) water.

NCL's pricing is already outrageous without any "small surcharges" when looking at the things not included in the package.

I think they meant it as an optional surcharge, like an add-on. If you don't care about it you would not pay extra. Win-win.

Ncl need coffee making facilities at more bars then it could probably work to be included. Having coffee from one coffee bar won't work.
It works on Princess… The staff at the coffee bar are very very busy, and sometimes there's a line (just like at Starbucks :p), and I'm sure some people complain about that, but in general I get the impression that people are quite satisfied with the coffee card and the AIBP (beverage package that includes espresso drinks) on Princess.

I think they meant it as an optional surcharge, like an add-on. If you don't care about it you would not pay extra. Win-win.

I just don't see that as a win-win as speciality coffees should have been automatically added when the package price was already raised almost 20% and the inclusions stayed basically the same - now one is paying significantly more with NCL and getting less return than on other cruise lines.

I'm still waiting to see when all the price raises actually increase value to the passengers too. Not holding my breath though. ;)