Buh-bye Dawn Princess, Hello Pacific Explorer!

Why couldn't they have just called her 'Pacific Princess'. At least she would have kept a bit of her old name.

There already is a Pacific Princess in the Princess fleet. The present Pacific Princess was at first cruising in Australian waters but was replaced by Dawn Princess.

With Dawn Princess being transferred to P&O Australia , its a pity they did not give her an Australian themed name.

Dawn Princess is one of 4 ships in the Sun Class..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun-class_cruise_ship

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

I've just been informed that P&O mistakenly put the webpage live before they should've. It's been taken down, although there is still a mention of Pacific Explorer under "Meet the Fleet". Looks like we got the scoop.

Thanks, explains why there hasn't been a lot of press on this!

I can hear the talk now...

"We went on the Explorer..

Oh so did we

Heres a pic

Thats not the one we went on "...........

Explorer of the Seas....Pacific Explorer

They will both be called Explorer by the public.

Yes just as people will be saying about Legend:

* Legend of the Seas

*Carnival Legend

Confusing for TA's & passengers I would think!

I can hear the talk now...

"We went on the Explorer..

Oh so did we

Heres a pic

Thats not the one we went on "...........

Explorer of the Seas....Pacific Explorer

They will both be called Explorer by the public.

Haha good point.

But equivalent to the situation now, with Dawn Princess, and Pacific Dawn.

They're just switching the Dawn duplicate for an Explorer duplicate. :D

I think the name is good, it does suggest it might be doing something out of the ordinary. Would be great to see some different itineraries, but P&O's way of running things would need to improve dramatically. Adding more specialty dining and entertainment, presumably there will be an extra charge for these, just means the main included dining room will be even more difficult to get a place in, and the low staffing levels will continue. Interesting to see what changes will be made, hopefully P&O Australia will remember that back in the 80s they ran a great cruise line, and stop cost cutting and staff cutting because it has gone too far.

If the Pacific Explorer starts doing runs out to Polynesian Islands that would be wonderful.

Might be right Sarah, the name does seem to suggest exploring:p

I would love to visit the Cook Islands again, and Raiatea.

I agree with the above poster though, they would have to up their service and inclusions, other wise if it is just the same ol itineraries I would choose Sun or Sea on Princess and have my free internet, mini bar laundry etc and no extra fees for room service and snacks........although I wouldn't care about the extras if they had good itineraries and included some cabin amenities which I have heard they stopped supplying. I haven't cruised P&O for a few years but have read they have stopped supplying lot's of things in the cabin:(

Deck parties and kids club don't interest us, so will be interesting to see where they go with Pacific Explorer.

Gosh this cruising world Down under is exciting, long way from the days of a lonely Pacific Sky then Sun plying the waters!!

Chez

I agree with the above poster though, they would have to up their service and inclusions, other wise if it is just the same ol itineraries I would choose Sun or Sea on Princess and have my free internet, mini bar laundry etc and no extra fees for room service and snacks........although I wouldn't care about the extras if they had good itineraries and included some cabin amenities which I have heard they stopped supplying. I haven't cruised P&O for a few years but have read they have stopped supplying lot's of things in the cabin:(

Deck parties and kids club don't interest us, so will be interesting to see where they go with Pacific Explorer.

Gosh this cruising world Down under is exciting, long way from the days of a lonely Pacific Sky then Sun plying the waters!!

Chez

Agreed, they have to get me with the itinerary and a great price, otherwise my loyalty status with other lines will win out.:D

Chez

There is nothing tempting me to cruise with PO at the moment. They don't even have a loyalty program and they still expect higher prices without offering some of the other stuff that other lines do. I'm trying to branch out and build up status on other lines, but makes it hard . . . . Good price and great itineraries will grab my attention.

That is excellent news. Good riddance two down, two to go... :eek:

The smelly tired old rust buckets Sea & Sun deserve P&O ownership as well imo. ;)

That would make my day as long as they stick with the two Japanese gem class ships Diamond and Sapphire in rotation with the two Crown classed Emerald & Crown. :D

:cool: r

That is excellent news. Good riddance two down, two to go... :eek:

The smelly tired old rust buckets Sea & Sun deserve P&O ownership as well imo. ;)

That would make my day as long as they stick with the two Japanese gem class ships Diamond and Sapphire in rotation with the two Crown classed Emerald & Crown. :D

:cool: r

We couldn't agree more! We can't wait for Princess to get rid of the remaining 2 Sun class ships.

Why keep a 1995 ship (Sun Princes) when Holland America has just given their 1995 ships to P&O and Celebrity has sold their 1995 Century earlier this year. These 3 ships were better than Princess' Sun class ships which have the smallest cabins we've ever experienced!

On another note, we notice that the old Ryndam carried 1250 passengers - now 1500 as a P&O ship. As usual you can expect crowded public areas:eek:.

On another note, we notice that the old Ryndam carried 1250 passengers - now 1500 as a P&O ship. As usual you can expect crowded public areas:eek:.

There isn't any difference in capacity.

HAL just reports on a twin share capacity (maybe because it doesn't get many families!), whereas P&O gives a maximum capacity.

The actual cabin count and total capacity is the same.

There isn't any difference in capacity.

HAL just reports on a twin share capacity (maybe because it doesn't get many families!), whereas P&O gives a maximum capacity.

The actual cabin count and total capacity is the same.

I believe P&O are putting 4 berths in some of the cabins that were twin.