Wifes swollen ankles on 33 cruises

texast518

It may sound strange but I have found that if we eat watermelon a couple of times a day during the cruise the water retention is greatly reduced. I never really eat watermelon at home, but on a cruise it helps a lot. Also I think bottled water is better. Compression socks for flying are a must and I sometimes wear them at night if my lower legs hurt during the trip.

same problem here..but not all the time...some cruises are better than others...I have CRUISE SHOES, these are ones that stretched when my ankles and feet swelled..and I always bring flip flops..at least they fit always...

nothing helps me...someone on the cruise one time told me to lie in my bed in a L shape...with the feet to the highest point...it did help, but who has time to do this..lol I am on a cruise to enjoy and relax , not stay in my room in a L position.

good luck all...it is so common now...

some cruise line offer sodium free or low sodium options all you have to do is ask for those

You may not put extra salt on your food but there is some added during the cooking process sometimes more than needed

Since I have started asking for low sodium options & avoid sauces, gravies etc..

I do not have the problem plus drinking bottled water or water from the self serve station

Any ideas for causes/cures? She doesn't add salt, wears magnet ankle bracelet, and creams. Dr doesn't help any. Not much, if any, of a problem @ home. Think this is a fairly common problem. I put ice in a ziplock before bed.

May be salt issue, related to blood pressure. I always have to take more pills on cruises, and bring my own monitor. The last few cruises I did not have swelling at all, or it was minimal when the blood pressure was under control. When I got swelling, diuretics helped a little, but did not clear the problem. I did not request low-salt diet, and ate cheeses, smoked salmon, pizza.

Editing: I also drink ship water, which may or may not be high in sodium.

Edited by Dayenu

same problem here..but not all the time...some cruises are better than others...I have CRUISE SHOES, these are ones that stretched when my ankles and feet swelled..and I always bring flip flops..at least they fit always... ... good luck all...it is so common now...

The swelling is not just my ankles but my entire foot, including the toe area. So my flip flops don't fit after the 3rd or 4th day at sea, especially on transatlantics.

We just finished our 35th cruise and this started happening as I started to get older (I'm mid 50's now).I found drinking only bottled water on the ship helped dramatically. I'll still elevate my feet when we get back on board, if it was a heavy walking day ,for minimal swelling. By cutting out all ship water I have been amazed and pleased with the results. I'm not able to speak of water pills since I'm not able to take them,but I'm glad to have a that I can improve this issue without medicine. Good luck!

This happens to me when I fly to a warm place as well! Went to Ottawa this summer to visit family and the whole time I was there my ankles were a swollen mess! I think it might have something to do with flying period!Terry

I've always had problems with swollen feet and ankles so now I fly wearing support socks. There's some fashionable ones available so they don't look like support socks anymore. It seems to help and I have slept in them while cruising. The ankles still swell during the day, but not as bad. I dislike sleeping in them, but if it helps me get my shoes on in the morning, then it's worth the bother.

My Dr suggested trying the bottled water......I was skeptical but it worked!!.....way less than other cruises.....I know the water is treated and shouldn't have significant salt but there is no denying how much more comfortable I was....going in feb and trying it again....

We brought bottled water on the ship and my husband drank it as opposed to the ship's water. This seemed to alleviate the problem. The only alcohol he drank was beer, not any mixed drinks, mainly because it is difficult to find Caesars!

This happens to me unless I drink bottled water. I know the ship water is safe and all of that but I also know that if I drink it, I get swollen ankles and when I stick to bottled, I don't.

I have found this helps, too. I get swollen feet and fingers. I don't like the taste of ship water (I live an area where our water supply is pristine) so we take bottled with us and that seems to alleviate the problem. However, there is lots of salt in the food too.