My Dream review. The first ever journeys cruise.

honestguy

First off, there will be no pics. Just my thoughts on this wonderful ship. Moving forward my background. I've worked on a cruise ship, and have 15 years of fine dining under my belt. I know what good service is.

Flew in a day early. stayed at the sleep inn. It was decent. I tend to stay in higher end properties, but for one night at the airport it works. Take an uber from there, and save on cab fare. The highlight of the day was a little hole in a wall Chinese restaurant about 3 miles from the sleep inn. It's called little Chinatown. Best chinese I've ever ate.

Day one. We debated about when to get to the pier considering the amount of platinum, and diamond members. We ended up driving the bags down at 8:30 dropping them off, and returning the rental car, and catching an Uber to the pier. We were there before 11, and to our surprise, was checked in, and waiting by 11:15. I can't remember what time we got onto the ship, but it was well before 12. That was a win.

I was sailing solo, but my parents were on board in a different cabin. First day we ate, at The pasta place, and it was good. We would eat here I think 3 more times. Only thing we didn't care for was the lasagna. It was overly meaty we thought, but I heard other comment they loved it. Just a personal taste thing.

The weather the first 2 days was so so, but hey your on a ship. It can't be all that bad right.

We had early dining, with other diners, at a table of 10. It was myself, my parents, and 3 other couples. We ate every dinner in the dining room. Our server was Viktoria, and she was amazing. (soap box alert) We had one couple that were annoying and rude. Now they didn't know they were being rude, but their behavior was very rude. On two different nights they were late. One night it was 50 minutes, and the second time was 20 minutes. Now some may say whats the big deal. When you wait tables. You have steps of service, and when you have Jackwagons doing this, it throws off the service for the other 28 people the service team is waiting on. It also puts them behind for the second seating. The second time they did it, the man snapped at viktoria that they were ready to order. She replied one moment, and proceeded to make them wait 5 minutes to order. I loved that. Also soap box again. No stupid special requests you want something from the buffet, go to the buffet to get it. No your waiter isn't being lazy, your taking the waiter away from their other 28 guests. Overall service was perfect in the dining room.

The one thing I liked on this cruise, is that the dining room was open two days for lunch. I think we had 5 sea days. They did the seaday brunch 2 or 3 times, and a lunch menu the other days. It was a nice change IMO.

Food Overall food is still great for what you pay. I didn't think the buffet food was as good as my cruise on the fantasy that I took in august. That old little ship rocks, and the pizza and the grill wasn't as good, and honestly it was because of the cooks. They weren't bad on the dream. Just the ones on the fantasy were badazzes. The buffet desserts weren't as good either, and again I'm nitpicking here. Didnt ruin the cruise just something we noticed.

I did the cheers package. Didnt do it on the fantasy. Holy heck were the drinks stronger here. Most of the drinks I got from red frog rum bar, and they have a kick. The drink package is a good deal if you drink the fruity mix drinks. It your a beer drinker, or straight liquor drinker not so much. Some mixed drinks have as much as 4.5 ounces of booze in them, but a bourbon on the rocks is 1.5 ounces. So it comes down to what you drink. Drink package was i think 632 dollars. I drank probably 100 drinks, so I save money for sure.

Cabin I had a cove balcony. 2408. I'm a sound sleeper, sometimes too much so. This cabin was noisy. It's under the galley, and from the sound of it, I'm betting it's close to the dish pit. Again It didn't ruin my cruise. I adjusted(slept with the TV on) But the first few nights I woke up a few times every night. The cove is really cool being that close to the water.

Cabin steward. Dream is one of the ships trying out the new service. You pick if you want it twice or once. I'm simple. I want alot of clean towels(shower twice a day) and my bed made. I don't care about animals, I dont care about turndown. He asked me when I seen him, and I told him. Hey Im messy, don't make a fuss. Make the bed give me clean towels that's it. Some have gotten their panties in a wad. No need my cabin was clean, and I still got that stupid little animal.

Shows. We went to the comedy show every night they had one. I gotta to be honest. I'm blown away with the money carnival spends here. I've liked every show I've ever saw on board. All are funny. Some are really freaking good. Did a couple of theater shows, and again these kids put on a heck of a show IMO.

OK Whats different about a journeys cruise. First off. They have some classes. (I didn't go) They also have a Q and A every day with the crew. most everyone wants to know what it's like to work on board, and regardless of the spin carnival will feed you. It's hard freaking work. Your cabin steward, and waiters are getting on average of 4 hours a sleep a night. the food sucks. again regardless of what carnival tells you. I say this just because I talked to a few other guests, and they were going on and on how good the crew has it. I didnt work for carnival, but it was another line, and while Carnival might be better in a few areas, I talk to the crew when I'm on board, and get the truth, once we start swapping war stories, and the lines are all the same. It's a great job moneywise, but they are making huge personal sacrifices, so don't be a Jerk. Tip extra if you can, and treat them with respect. They are working long hours. 6 months no days off, and eating crappy food.

Free galley tour. Pretty cool the galleys are amazing. I didn't go. Been there done that.

80's throwback night. old style menu. broken into sections. soups salads apps. a pasta dish main course, and then dessert. It's cool to see this, and honestly I miss the 5 course menu. Captain's reception. Cool thing, and for the cheapo's free drinks. There was a lot of reee drinks. You could catch a free buzz for sure.

Midnight buffet, again cool to see. It's amazing the work they put into this, and I understand why they don't do it, anymore. To think they use to do it every night. I think that's it for the differences. There was another night in the dining room, with a different menu as well.

The ship overall. I see people complaining about small ships, and complaining about large ships. There was over 3600 people on board. Never felt crowded. Never waited in long lines. Loved the promenade deck. I wish all ships had the dream's promenade deck. Two great waterslides(im a junkie) The drainpipe just makes you giggle. It's a great ship. That being said the fantasy is a great ship as well. IF you gave me a free cruise, and it was between the dream and the fantasy I'd flip A coin I love them both.

First time having the new internet package. I went with the value plan, and it worked well. You can only have one device on at a time. You could bring a router from home if you wanted to use nultiple devices in your cabin. I love the new internet

John Heald. He was on board. He's one funny SOB. Very talented man. He's amazingly funny. Carnival is lucky to have him. That being said. I've always laughed how he paints himself as an rebel or an outsider. Make no mistake He himself is a "beard"

All in all it was a great cruise. It's a very old crowd. My parents commented it looked more like a holland america cruise. There was a death on board, and to be honest I'm shocked there wasn't more, but these journey's cruises are all 10 days plus so its going to be a very old crowd.

Overall you can't beat the value of a carnival cruise. 11 days was a bit long for me. the cruise hangover took almost 2 weeks to wear off, but it was an amazing time.

Edited by honestguy

Seeing your review has made me go back and look at my current Southern Caribbean, there's a Journeys cruise leaving two weeks later for basically the same price.

Would you recommend the 12 day Journey Southern re-positioning cruise over a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise?

Seeing your review has made me go back and look at my current Southern Caribbean, there's a Journeys cruise leaving two weeks later for basically the same price.

Would you recommend the 12 day Journey Southern re-positioning cruise over a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise?

If you can make it work yes. The Journeys Cruise is a nice wrinkle. Understand it isn't radically different, just some things you won't see on a 7 day cruise.

Great review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

What position did you hold when you worked on a cruise ship? Just curious, if you don't mind. My daughter is attending an audition for talent on an NCL ship.

I was a waiter. Talent gets treated vastly different. While she will work 7 days, and help out with embarkation, and disbarkation, and maybe some other areas, and have a safety job, she can eat in the buffet, drink in the public bars, and been seen out and about. It's not an amazing job by any means, as far as pay, but if she can get rid of a rent and car payment, it's a cool gig for a kid getting out of college

Thank you for the the review of this cruise. My DH and I are scheduled on the Dream Journey cruise from San Juan to New Orleans starting Jan. 14th. I have been following John's FB page since I knew he was on your cruise. He discussed lots of happenings on the journey, some funny, some not so much.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and entertainment. I have been on the Magic twice; enjoyed the food, never made it to a show. This is Hubby's first time on Carnival, hope he likes it.

Did you think the three formal/elegant nights were one too many? Also, did you see many folks dress in 80's attire, and if so, what was it? I don't remember wearing anything very memorable in that decade.

Later...

Vicki

Thank you for an outstanding review. You covered just about everything anyone would want to know. I appreciate your "open minded" review as clearly everyone has different likes and dislikes. We are sailing on Dream in January on a Journey cruise out of San Juan and also have a cove Balcony. Ours is 2344 so I am hoping it will be a bit more quite. I am now even more excited as you have painted a great picture. As for it seeming to be an "older" crowd - works for me - as I have entered that age bracket. icon10.gif Again, thank you for the review.

My DH and I were also on that cruise and I agreed with everything you said. I think that was the best service we have had on any ship we have ever cruised on. It was an amazing and magical cruise and they put a lot of thought into it.

Thank you for the the review of this cruise. My DH and I are scheduled on the Dream Journey cruise from San Juan to New Orleans starting Jan. 14th. I have been following John's FB page since I knew he was on your cruise. He discussed lots of happenings on the journey, some funny, some not so much.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and entertainment. I have been on the Magic twice; enjoyed the food, never made it to a show. This is Hubby's first time on Carnival, hope he likes it.

Did you think the three formal/elegant nights were one too many? Also, did you see many folks dress in 80's attire, and if so, what was it? I don't remember wearing anything very memorable in that decade.

Later...

Vicki

Yes they were! We were on this cruise and by the third night no one dressed up!

Thanks for the info on the Dream Journeys cruise. We are on the Glory Journeys cruise in January. Can you tell us a little about the Academy of Fun?

It was a guest lecturer talking about different subjects, like internet use. There was also a couple days that a celebrity chef did a demonstration that sounded like fun. They did a Galley Tour as well for free and they almost never do those.

I was also on this cruise, and want to add a few more details about some of the "extras" that were offered as part of the Journeys cruise. The Academy of Fun was a series of five lectures--photography, social media, celestial navigation art, and food. The lectures were offered in the mornings and afternoons on sea days, and everyone who attended was given a pin that was specific to the lecturers. There were several hundred people at each lecture I attended.

There was an extra evening show that was a 50's style show. Guests were involved in the performance with a glee club and a "Dancing with the Stars" type segment where five individual guests did dance numbers with dancers from the entertainment staff. The show moved out into the atrium lobby as a sock hop that went on for another 1/2 hour or so.

Speaking of dancing--there were dance instructors on board that offered classes on the sea days as well. They did Latin, ballroom, and even some line dancing classes. These were very well attended.

On the Throwback Sea Day they had a lot of the old style Carnival entertainment--the knobby knees contest, frog racing in the pool (you buy a battery operated frog and the winner receives a prize), horse racing in the show room (with proceeds going to St. Jude's), and the Captain's Cocktail Party with amazingly strong drinks.

The op mentioned the Q&A with the crew. There were three sessions--one with the senior officers, one with a large number of crew, and a third with the captain and his two senior bridge officers. People at times asked questions that were inappropriate to the group, but overall it was informative and enjoyable.

There were three "formal" nights, and I agree that it was probably one too many. If there was any advantage it was that lobster (if you like that) was offered twice on this cruise. Also offered in the dining room was a unique dish that was created by the chef from St. Maarten who was on the ship doing cooking demos.

Another Journeys only thing was a shore excursion in St. Maarten that included time with that chef, time in an art gallery talking with an artist, and steel drum lessons. I did the tour and it was one of the best excursions I have ever been.

Local entertainment is also part of the Journeys experience. There was a Junkanoo band on board in Nassau, a band and dancers on the pier in Bermuda, and another group of dancers on the pier in St. Maarten.

I have a friend on the Miracle Journeys sailing to Hawaii right now and he described many of the same activities, so this is apparently what Carnival has settled on for these cruises.

I plan to do at least one, if not two, more Journeys cruises over the next year while they still have them. The last one is, I believe, in February of 2017.

I was also on this cruise, and want to add a few more details about some of the "extras" that were offered as part of the Journeys cruise. The Academy of Fun was a series of five lectures--photography, social media, celestial navigation art, and food. The lectures were offered in the mornings and afternoons on sea days, and everyone who attended was given a pin that was specific to the lecturers. There were several hundred people at each lecture I attended.

There was an extra evening show that was a 50's style show. Guests were involved in the performance with a glee club and a "Dancing with the Stars" type segment where five individual guests did dance numbers with dancers from the entertainment staff. The show moved out into the atrium lobby as a sock hop that went on for another 1/2 hour or so.

Speaking of dancing--there were dance instructors on board that offered classes on the sea days as well. They did Latin, ballroom, and even some line dancing classes. These were very well attended.

On the Throwback Sea Day they had a lot of the old style Carnival entertainment--the knobby knees contest, frog racing in the pool (you buy a battery operated frog and the winner receives a prize), horse racing in the show room (with proceeds going to St. Jude's), and the Captain's Cocktail Party with amazingly strong drinks.

The op mentioned the Q&A with the crew. There were three sessions--one with the senior officers, one with a large number of crew, and a third with the captain and his two senior bridge officers. People at times asked questions that were inappropriate to the group, but overall it was informative and enjoyable.

There were three "formal" nights, and I agree that it was probably one too many. If there was any advantage it was that lobster (if you like that) was offered twice on this cruise. Also offered in the dining room was a unique dish that was created by the chef from St. Maarten who was on the ship doing cooking demos.

Another Journeys only thing was a shore excursion in St. Maarten that included time with that chef, time in an art gallery talking with an artist, and steel drum lessons. I did the tour and it was one of the best excursions I have ever been.

Local entertainment is also part of the Journeys experience. There was a Junkanoo band on board in Nassau, a band and dancers on the pier in Bermuda, and another group of dancers on the pier in St. Maarten.

I have a friend on the Miracle Journeys sailing to Hawaii right now and he described many of the same activities, so this is apparently what Carnival has settled on for these cruises.

I plan to do at least one, if not two, more Journeys cruises over the next year while they still have them. The last one is, I believe, in February of 2017.

thanks for the add. I didn't do alot of the things you did. Glad you had a great time.

Later...

Vicki

I didnt see alot of 80's attire. There were quite of few tuxedos. I know I seen around 20 or so. I wore one. I bought mind for under 20 dollars total at goodwill, and it looked very sharp. I thought the 3 formal nights were about right, but I like dressing up.

Thank you so much for sharing your review. I appreciate that it was written in one post and not peppered with pictures.

So glad to hear the old 5-course menus are making an appearance! We're doing the Dream Journeys B2B in January and will make sure we're the main dining room for those!

Glad to hear the new internet is available. Folks in our roll call were saying it wouldn't be.

I do understand about the late diners! If you can't come on time, do anytime, please! On the Triumph 10 day in February we had one "fashionably late" man every single night - he joked about it, but we wanted to clobber him.

Can you give us a little more information about the 80's party. Is it a formal meet the Captain affair or is it Valley Girl/Madonna Big hair, leggins, leg warmers etc parties? I would hate to meet the captain doing my best Madonna impersonation. Or is there both on the same day?

Please help us. Boarding on 2 B2B Journeys cruises in 29 days.

For those who did b2b on the Dream Journey Cruise, I was wondering if you got a free picture and a free drink. We did on other b2b carnival cruises.

Also we are changing rooms this time, has anyone done this? Just wondering do they have your new room ready early so you can move your stuff?