Help: FT NCL Jade/excursions with preschooler and baby

jillyoung256

Hi! We are sailing on the NCL Jade the week after Thanksgiving 2015 and I have some questions I haven't really been able to figure out sorting through all the other forums. I have a 4 year old and a 20 month old.

1) Kids Club - We don't plan to leave the kids in child care, but we do want to utilize Splash Club. I know the baby can go to the parent/child activities when offered. Will my older daughter be able to join in these activities? Is the kids club open at times where my older daughter can play without being put in a drop off program?

2) Pools - Can my non toilet trained toddler use any of the swimming pools on the ship?! This was a huge surprise to me that babies aren't allowed in the pools! What on earth did you do with young children on "at sea" days? We planned on a LARGE majority of our vacation being spent in and around the pool :( Is there a children's pool where she can swim?

3) Excursions - I want to try as hard as possible NOT to use local transportation because we won't have car seats (and I worry!). I would be more comfortable with a motor coach. What excursions are close to the port? We are also looking for things relatively close and short in length because the baby naps in the afternoon.

- Hondurus: We are planning to do the Maya Key park, which is supposedly a tender ride from the ship and from 8:15-1pm.

- Belize: I can't figure anything out about this port!

- Cozumel: Can we just get off the ship and walk around this area? What beaches would be close and good for little ones?

4) Bedding - we're in a balcony family suite. They said that we would have a pack n play and that the couch is a pullout for my daughter. Does this sound like enough space? Do I need to bring extra bedding? What are your tips for getting everyone to sleep in 1 room when they typically have separate and are very light sleepers :)

5) Packing items - What are those indispensable items that I can't forget to pack?

THANKS SO MUCH! :)

Edited by jillyoung256

Babies in diapers aren't allowed in any POOL on any ship....some ships may have a "splash zone" where diapered ones can get wet. Ship pools aren't large enough to reliably treat water that someone may defecate in...even if it's contained within the diaper, the bacteria is being washed out THROUGH the swim diaper....not a healthy situation.

Many parents will bring a blow-up Tub (also useful for bathing a baby in the shower!) to use on the pool deck for "splashing"....a couple ice buckets of water will do. Empty into a floor or shower drain...not back into a pool!

Your cabin sounds like ample space....you won't need to bring bedding. The balcony is a good space for you "to be" while the kids are getting to sleep!

As far as what to bring, mainly concentrate on pediatric items....the ship carries no children's meds, so bring what you need....tylenol, stuff for colds, potions and lotions...diapers, etc....

Edited by cb at sea

How strict is the policy? The 20 month old is toilet trained for BMs but I'd still probably put a swim diaper on her to be safe. What would you all do in this case, one kid who wants to swim and one kid who isn't allowed in a pool and a family that wants to vacation together? I saw that there is a baby pool on our ship with 1ft water. It looks like it's inside.

One of the biggest things I can tell you is BE FLEXIBLE ....

Your profile doesn't say where you are so keep in mind that you maybe in a different time zone. So nap times maybe affected.

When we went with our 20 month old - his naps were all over the place in terms of time and also some were in the stroller... because it was hot out he sometimes fell asleep on his own

Just be flexible with your plans

How strict is the policy? The 20 month old is toilet trained for BMs but I'd still probably put a swim diaper on her to be safe. What would you all do in this case, one kid who wants to swim and one kid who isn't allowed in a pool and a family that wants to vacation together? I saw that there is a baby pool on our ship with 1ft water. It looks like it's inside.

You don't want to be the cause of the kids' pool being closed for everyone. That kids pool on the Jade is not for babies - it is for potty trained children. My understanding is that because ship pools are drained into the ocean, the same level of chemicals usually used in public pools aren't an option. You wouldn't want someone else's baby putting your preschooler at risk either. A swim diaper does not contain the bacteria.

I have twins and one wasn't potty trained until she was 4 and we did many cruises up to that point without using the pools. You can bring small blow up bathtubs for them to splash around in. if water play is vital. There are usually just a few sea days at most, and between naps and meals, we found plenty to keep the kids amused - we'd go dance with the band at the pool, play with a ball in an empty lounge, the girls once spent an afternoon having fun climbing on lounge chairs. You can have a great time.

Best,

Mia

Based on my experience; NCL will allow the older child to participate in the toddler playroom. The older child may not be able to play in the kids club without being dropped off as they normally have fun structured activities going on that all the kids participate in. Group games competitions etc. For example one of the activities on our cruise was a circus that the kids all were a part of, they dressed up as clowns, dancers, jugglers etc. At this time all of the kids were involved in the circus activity none were playing on their own. However if you older child wants to play alone, then she could play in the toddler play room as long as you are there with the younger child. The toddler play room is connected to the main kid’s club area there is a door that connects each. The baby play room has lots of puzzles, games, toys, coloring paper, crayons and books. There are also windows which you can look into and see what’s going on in both rooms.

When leaving the ship, be sure to bring a snack and water for the kids. I packed zip lock bags and would pour dry cereal in them during breakfast so that my 2 year old had something to eat while off the ship. I also would bring water juice (everything you would normally pack in a diaper bag). There so much to do in each port, you can walk around the tourist areas and walk to local beaches. We did not take any tours which required driving, however we still found ways to enjoy ourselves. To be honest we got off the ship and kinda followed the crowd. Once on the beach I unpacked my beach mat and sand toys that I brought from home this was much better for the younger child vs. having to rent a beach chair. My 2 and 12 year old splashed in the water and played in the sand until they were tired and hungry. We then walked back to the ship for lunch.

All children must be potty trained for the pool; however I did see some little ones in the pool who were about 6 months or so. My daughter was potty trained at the time, so the pool was not an issue. The water was actually really cold, so we did not use the pool much. However my daughter did in fact like the hot tub (which was always crowded). You can bring a small blow up pool and fill it up on with water for the younger kid to play in. There was an area on the NCL Sky in the very front of the ship that had a "Toddler Splash Pool" it was a very small pool with about 4 inches of water in it. Kids were splashing around with buckets and other water toys. Some were in diapers and none of the staff or parents said anything. This pool was indeed drained and cleaned each night.

No need to bring bedding unless the kids are attached to a favorite blanket. I bought a small blanket from home for my 2 year old. The pull out couch was more than enough room for my 12 year old son who is already 5"6 and is 160 lbs. Since you have a balcony you can sit ready or play a quiet game while the light sleeper napped. Or enjoy the ship with the non-light sleeper, while one parent stays behind with the light sleeper.

If the smaller child is in diapers bring disposable diaper bags. Magnets which the kids can play with on the cabin door(great distraction while you are all getting dressed).

I bought a small blow up floating ring at my local dollar store and my 2 year old LOVE it. She sat in it for hours at the beach and kicked wore herself out. Bring small books and toys for the kids to have during dinner service. Don't forget Sippy cups and water shoes for the little ones. Also pack a sweater or light jacket it is chilly in the dining areas of the ship.

Thanks for the replies! We have a pool and our youngest loves the water, so she would not understand why she was not able to swim when other people were... and I could see some pretty big tantrums happening. It's going to be challenging for my 4 year old as well - all my kids want to do on vacation is swim! That being said, I didn't understand the reason for the rule so I think that we're going to bring a blow up pool and hope for the best. Any suggestions on good excursions for them? We'll definitely want to take advantage of beaches and pools on the ports. Thanks!

My understanding is that because ship pools are drained into the ocean' date=' the same level of chemicals usually used in public pools aren't an option.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Just to set the record straight, the chemical levels in ship's pools are higher than shoreside pools, and are monitored continuously and the chemicals adjusted continuously. It has nothing to do with draining the pools to the ocean.

"Infant only recreational water facilities" are a fairly new concept for the USPH (which oversees cruise ship sanitation in the US), so only a few ships have them (DCL and the RCI Freedom and Oasis classes). These "pools" are only spray areas, where the water is only an inch or two deep, and there are vertical water sprays. The water in these pools must be completely separate from all other pools onboard, there is a higher "turn over rate" (meaning the water is circulated through the chemical monitoring, injection, and filtering system more times an hour than other pools, and the water also goes through an ultra-violet light sterilizer. The ship must have a full time pool attendant at these pools, and must provide a changing area and a supply of swim diapers. So, the initial cost to build one of these pools, as well as the operating cost, keeps many cruise lines from installing them.

I was on Jade last week and there was a pool similar to this which I assumed was for babies

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/cruisinmama08/media/NCL%20Gem%202011/124.jpg.html

I had heard about this pool being added to the Jade when she was cruising exclusively in Europe, where the USPH requirements are not followed. However, now that she is in the US, unless there is a sign specifically allowing swim diapers, a crew member permanently assigned at the pool, and a changing area and a supply of swim diapers available, then the pool cannot be used by non-potty trained kids.

I was on Jade last week and there was a pool similar to this which I assumed was for babies

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/cruisinmama08/media/NCL%20Gem%202011/124.jpg.html

Even water features onc DCL and RCCL aren't actual pools, like the one in that photo, but more of a splash area, with running water around the feet. Just because it resembles a land based baby pool doesn't make it okay for diapered children to use it on a ship.