Coffee Card

artvlay

We have sailed the Royal twice and the free coffee is not brewed. I have watched the staff replace the syrup containers. Only the coffee you get with the coffee card at the coffee bar located in the IC area. This is the same on all of the ships we have sailed. I will say that sometimes the free coffee is not bad but that will very.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska [/i][/size]

I use honey with my tea so I know what you mean.

Honey in the HC is hit or miss. On some ships it is out. Sometimes near the tea/coffee station, but more commonly in the buffet line somewhere. If you don't see it, you can ask for it.

We don't eat in the MDR very often, so I've never requested it there, but it is probably available for the asking.

It is also usually available at the IC.

You can order it from room service. I will order some whenever we get anything and save what I don't use.

AND I bring a container scaled to the length of the cruise (hate to toss it at the end).

All of the above should work. Choose your favorite.

Wow ! Thanks for all the tips on honey ! I never thought of using room service, which given that a horrific sunburn kept me captive 3 days in our mini on the Royal, was really stupid. Even dumber than getting that sunburned !

I will definitely order a pot of tea and honey that first morning and speak to the HC crew about honey when I first hit the horizon court because I like it on my grapefruit too. I have a coffee card for IC too but that's strictly for Americanos !

Thanks again,

Kristine

• 1 month later...

I try to stay away from the Specialty Coffee's as I am diabetic and so don't need the extra sugar, but my DH loves Specialty Coffee. Would we be able to use a punch for a specialty coffee choice and also have a regular brewed coffee for me ordering at the same time? I know that he could just go up and place his order and then I could take the card and place mine but sometimes we like to have one of us make a trip to the IC in the morning to bring coffee back to the room.

Edited by CeeCee59

This might be a dumb question, but since this will be only my 2nd cruise and 1st with Princess, I am trying to gather all the info from all of these posts...

Is there any free coffee at all on the ship or do you have to purchase a card even just for a black cup of regular coffee? Just if someone is willing to clarify, any info is appreciated!

This might be a dumb question, but since this will be only my 2nd cruise and 1st with Princess, I am trying to gather all the info from all of these posts...

Is there any free coffee at all on the ship or do you have to purchase a card even just for a black cup of regular coffee? Just if someone is willing to clarify, any info is appreciated!

They have free coffee in the buffet serve yourself or a waiter will get it.

Many say it tastes awful, others like it. Many as it is made on syrup.

What I'd say is try it and if you can't stand it then get a coffee card for the better stuff.

Regular/decaf coffee is available in the dining room and buffet any time they are open for service at no charge. Some people like it, some don't. I would suggest trying it for yourself before buying any coffee card. Cappuccinos, espressos, mochas, lattes, anything like that, all are additional charge in dining room, etc.

Enjoy your future sailings.

The problem really arises during the overnight hours, when on some ships (the Island and Coral, for example, at least when I took both earlier this year) no coffee is available without calling room service.

This must be the same barista who got so snooty with me on the Royal because there was nothing written on the back of my coffee card... which there never is if you trade your mini bar for coffee cards! He was incredibly rude and almost called me a liar to my face - not wise to mess with me BEFORE my coffee :mad:

I met the same guy on the Ocean Princess last year.

I recently did a short B2B2B on the Star and exchanged for coffee cards each time. Five out of the six were marked with ship name. On the Pacific Princess (50th anniversary cruise), both cards were unmarked, a week later. No voyage number written at any time.

Edited by Wehwalt

The problem really arises during the overnight hours, when on some ships (the Island and Coral, for example, at least when I took both earlier this year) no coffee is available without calling room service.

Any ship with an international cafe that's open around the clock. If plain coffee is all you want room service will deliver that, and most buffets are open 18-20 hrs a day.

Any ship with an international cafe that's open around the clock. If plain coffee is all you want room service will deliver that, and most buffets are open 18-20 hrs a day.

I'm aware of that, thanks. But I like many people do not care to wait (esp 4-6 hours) for morning coffee or to deal with the expectation of a tip if gotten by room service (however long the wait is there given the limited overnight staff)

Edited by Wehwalt

I'm aware of that, thanks. But I like many people do not care to wait (esp 4-6 hours) for morning coffee or to deal with the expectation of a tip if gotten by room service (however long the wait is there given the limited overnight staff)

Wasn't aimed at you in particular just quoted your post to give it some context.

4-6 hours for room service???

Wasn't aimed at you in particular just quoted your post to give it some context.

4-6 hours for room service???

Ha! No, I meant for the buffet to open. On the Island and Coral (both pre-renovation), they closed the doors to the buffet overnight, something which I've only otherwise seen on RCCI.

No offense taken or meant, I'm more speaking to others than simply replying to you :)

Edited by Wehwalt

Ha! No, I meant for the buffet to open. On the Island and Coral (both pre-renovation), they closed the doors to the buffet overnight, something which I've only otherwise seen on RCCI.

No offense taken or meant, I'm more speaking to others than simply replying to you :)

I've never understood the closing the doors to the buffet.

Sometimes when DW can't sleep it'd be the perfect place to sit and work for a while, with a table to use and all. But I guess hey don't want you pinching ..... What I wonder.

I've never understood the closing the doors to the buffet.

Sometimes when DW can't sleep it'd be the perfect place to sit and work for a while, with a table to use and all. But I guess hey don't want you pinching ..... What I wonder.

Those little boxes of cereal I imagine. The horror.

2 weeks ago on Caribbean Princess, there was free coffee at the buffet (when open), from room service, and next to the International Cafe (early morning before buffet opens). The coffee card is needed only for specialty coffees (think Starbucks). I believe that after the buffet opens, you had to show a card to get regular coffee, but they didn't punch the card.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you all for the replies! I have been reading about the coffee in the buffets, from some things I have read, it is that Regal Princess does not use a syrup for the free coffee and that it is actually quite good...I know everything can change ship to ship.

I will just have to find out when we get on ship! I will have a taste test to see if it will work for me for the week or if I should get a card. I am not a fancy coffee kinda girl anyway, just wake me up!! :eek: